J1772 EVSE Control Module

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A heavy duty contactor is also needed. Getting the parts is probably the easy part, getting it all put together and wired correctly is the challenge (in my opiniion). Interesting option.

The module is overpriced at $345, then you need to buy a J-1772 cable assembly, even a 30-40A one is going to cost you around $150-$250 by the time you add in the shipping, then add in a 40A relay, GFI, the box, a small 24V power supply, labor, are you really going to save much over a commercial EVSE? I don't think so. Build one because you want to, and you will learn some things, however, your not going to be saving a whole lot of money on this project.

Personally, I'd want to have the source code if I'm spending this much money and time on the build. I checked the website but saw nothing concerning the firmware, not even object code or discussion of programming updates.

I am building 6 non gfci and 6 with gfci now. They will be avalible for $60/$80 in a week or so.

Open EVSE source code is on the Open EVSE site in both the downloads section and the SVN.

You can make your own seat covers at home as well if you have a sewing machine. Oh boy.

Hate to say it, but I would NOT want an EVSE on my wall that had a whole bunch of mod-wires on it like that! Even if I were to make one myself from scratch (which I strongly considered), it would be a complete circuit board without "corrections"...

Yeah, I know it's not on the high-voltage side. But just best to not mess with this sort of thing.

garygid said:
Can you provide links to the details of this EVSE project, please?
We developed the DIN Module as part of our project to donate 1000 Charging Stations to UK Hotels, B&B's, Activity Centre's, etc;

http://www.zerocarbonworld.org/free-charging-stations

The module supports both SAE J1772 and IEC 61851 protocol and has many enhanced features (interlock, etc). An external contractor allows it to support from 10A to 80A using 1 or 3 phase supplies.

The module will be sold at low cost as a UL listed part (not a kit). We envisage it being sold as a standard part in your electrical suppliers catalog just like a MCB or similar item.

Full specification and pricing will be released at a later date. Our goal is to help support the large scale deployment of EV by developing and selling low cost parts. We have a similar project to deploy low cost charging cables.

Back