July Plugin Sales : Leaf 395, Volt 1849, PIP 688, FFE 38

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GRA said:
evmike said:
What I am seeing in California is the HOV sticker for the PiP and Volt is really killing interest in the LEAF. At work we have three new PiPs and three new Volts with green HOV stickers in the last two months. We even have a CODA. But no new LEAFs.
What I wonder about is why the Volt re-took the lead over the PiP. Was the market for California people who just wanted HOV stickers at the lowest price largely satisfied in March and April, and the Volt sales are to more dedicated EV people? Or are people looking at the price comparison between the two cars, and recognizing that the subsidy structure advantages the Volt (which is a much nicer car)?
I'm guessing that the Volt got a boost because of its eAT-PZEV version HOV sticker eligibility in CA but also because I believe the Volt is available in far more states than the PiP is.

The initial month of sales of the PiP were likely almost all pre-orders as there was a goofy pre-order/reservation process.

cwerdna said:
GRA said:
evmike said:
What I am seeing in California is the HOV sticker for the PiP and Volt is really killing interest in the LEAF. At work we have three new PiPs and three new Volts with green HOV stickers in the last two months. We even have a CODA. But no new LEAFs.
What I wonder about is why the Volt re-took the lead over the PiP. Was the market for California people who just wanted HOV stickers at the lowest price largely satisfied in March and April, and the Volt sales are to more dedicated EV people? Or are people looking at the price comparison between the two cars, and recognizing that the subsidy structure advantages the Volt (which is a much nicer car)?
I'm guessing that the Volt got a boost because of its eAT-PZEV version HOV sticker eligibility in CA but also because I believe the Volt is available in far more states than the PiP is.

The initial month of sales of the PiP were likely almost all pre-orders as there was a goofy pre-order/reservation process.
Prius sales of 1 out of 3 or 4 in CA tho...

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/201...rs-may-be-first-to-embrace-new-plug-in-model/

“When those [none PiP Prius] cars were eligible for California’s H.O.V. lanes, we sold out our allotment in no time,” Mr. Butto [Sam Butto, a Toyota spokesman] said. “We expect that the ability to use the H.O.V. lanes will be one of the most popular reasons people will buy the Prius Plug-In Hybrid. We may sell one in three or one in four of our plug-in hybrids in California.”

According to Scott Doggett, an editor at Edmunds’ AutoObserver.com, “When the H.O.V. access for California hybrids went away, it left thousands of drivers very frustrated, because their commute times had doubled or tripled. The ability to use H.O.V. lanes is a very good marketing tool for Toyota.”

Yep, a co-worker bought a PiP strictly for the HOV stickers and doesn't plan to ever plug it in. He's going to use it as a HEV only. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the 40,000 stickers are gone. Knowing how our lame-brained legislatures work, they'll likely just bump it up to 80,000 or more like that did last time... In the greater L.A. area, many of the HOV lanes are already moving no faster than the regular lanes during rush hours...

“When those [none PiP Prius] cars were eligible for California’s H.O.V. lanes, we sold out our allotment in no time,” Mr. Butto [Sam Butto, a Toyota spokesman] said. “We expect that the ability to use the H.O.V. lanes will be one of the most popular reasons people will buy the Prius Plug-In Hybrid. We may sell one in three or one in four of our plug-in hybrids in California.”

evnow said:
Anyone has Japanese Leaf, i, PIP sales for the last 3 months ?
Japan EVs sales in 2012:

Nissan Leaf:
I - 987
II - 1079
III - 699
IV - 936

Mitsubishi i-MiEV:
I - 341
II - 446 (peak)
III - 117
IV - 39

Mitsubishi Minicab-MiEV:
I - 467
II - 590 (second best month)
III - 123
IV - 31

There's an error in the U.S. Leaf numbers on the graph on page 1 for May, April and maybe March. April number should be 370, and May should be 510. April shows 579 (copied from March?) and May 370.

Its kind of sad that LEAF sales are slowing. I know I've seen more in my area in the last few months.

TomT said:
Yep, a co-worker bought a PiP strictly for the HOV stickers and doesn't plan to ever plug it in. He's going to use it as a HEV only.

That's what I figured at least half of what PiP buyers are going to do.

Anyone else find it strange that HOV stickers are given to cars that can't even go the standard highway speed limit (65) with their "Advanced Technology"?

I also don't personally think that HOV stickers should be given to PHEV cars that have barely enough range to make it from one on-ramp to the next off-ramp at highway speeds on battery power...

EricBayArea said:
Anyone else find it strange that HOV stickers are given to cars that can't even go the standard highway speed limit (65) with their "Advanced Technology"?

EricBayArea said:
Its kind of sad that LEAF sales are slowing. I know I've seen more in my area in the last few months.
Give it time. The Leaf is ahead of the Prius at the same stage of its life. The Prius didn't hit its stride for 10-15 years. Gotta take the long view. I still think Nissan EV are positioned very well for the future.

PERIOD: May 2012
PROD. : Volt: 4061 Ampera: 934
VOLT USA : 1680
VOLT CANADA: 211 (Quebec: 119)
VOLT-AMPERA EUROPE: 505 ( Germany: 126 / Netherlands: 358 Opel AMPERA )
TOTAL: 2396

Via: http://roulezelectrique.com/?p=615" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

250px-EU-Netherlands.svg.png
netherlands_map_2009worldfactbook_300_1.jpg

[update: corrected total per below - thx/]

Japan’s second- largest carmaker, will overcome a slowdown in deliveries of its all-electric Leaf vehicle, doubling U.S. sales to 20,000 during its current fiscal year, the vice chairman of its U.S. unit said A new plant in Smyrna, Tennessee, will be ready to make the cars in December, helping boost supply before the fiscal year ends in March, Nissan’s Bill Krueger said in an interview yesterday in Los Cabos, Mexico
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...es-doubling-as-factory-begins-production.html
Still 20,000 is a goal for this year, but in my understanding Nissan NA want to do that by selling on average 400 units/mo till end of this year, and rest within 3 mo of 2013. That will translate to 5000 units for each of 3 mo in 2013. Wonder if drastic reduction in price will be coming or there is a lot interest from customers.

About 25,000 sold in USA and Japan and total sale so far 32,000
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ero-emission-mobility-at-rio20-158978195.html

EdmondLeaf said:
About 25,000 sold in USA and Japan and total sale so far 32,000
I'm unclear on the 25,000 USA sales.
This site ( http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/nissan-leaf-sales-figures.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) shows the breakdown of to be :

Nissan LEAF U.S. Sales
00,019 : 2010
09,674 : 2011
02,613 : 2012 YTD -
12,306 : Total USA sales '10,'11,'12 YTD

Based on the figures to date, they are going to have to do something dramatic if they hope to make those numbers... Interest alone will not do it. And the recent reports on battery deterioration is not going to help their cause...

EdmondLeaf said:
Still 20,000 is a goal for this year, but in my understanding Nissan NA want to do that by selling on average 400 units/mo till end of this year, and rest within 3 mo of 2013. That will translate to 5000 units for each of 3 mo in 2013. Wonder if drastic reduction in price will be coming or there is a lot interest from customers.

http://insideevs.com/leaf-sales-to-double-this-year-on-confirmed-us-production-in-december/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In Europe EV sales is slightly higher than in US.

First four months:
Nissan Leaf 1586
Peugeot iOn 539
Mitsubishi i-MiEV 520
Citroën C-Zero 486
Together 3131 (average 782/month)

http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2012/05/24/europe-q1-2012-now-available-with-top-150-models/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2012/05/22/europe-march-2012-now-available-with-top-100-models/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/2012/06/26/europe-april-2012-now-available-with-top-322-all-models-ranking/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One of the most popular model is also
Renault Kangoo Z.E./Renault Kangoo Maxi Z.E. - 645 registrations in France (I-IV), but no data for Europe

Kane said:

First four months:
Nissan Leaf 1586
Peugeot iOn 539
Mitsubishi i-MiEV 520
Citroën C-Zero 486

Doesn't tell the whole story. Norway alone accounts for 716 of the 1586 Leafs, or 45% of european sales. The sales numbers for the triplets (iOn,iMiEV,C-Zero) also show the same trend.

jkirkebo said:
Kane said:

First four months:
Nissan Leaf 1586
Peugeot iOn 539
Mitsubishi i-MiEV 520
Citroën C-Zero 486

Doesn't tell the whole story. Norway alone accounts for 716 of the 1586 Leafs, or 45% of european sales. The sales numbers for the triplets (iOn,iMiEV,C-Zero) also show the same trend.

this post should be in the "Tax incentives thread" this only shows how proper government support and incentives can really boost sales. interesting to see what happens in 2013 when supply will no longer be a problem. this should allow dealers to negotiate prices and still make some money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back