Junk under the trunk?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GroundLoop said:
The top port has two high-power sockets, and a very small 2-pin (data?) port.

I believe this is the circuit breaker/cut-off switch that is accessible under the carpet in between the back seat footwells. It is access for emergency pack disconnect.

palmermd said:
GroundLoop said:

I believe this is the circuit breaker/cut-off switch that is accessible under the carpet in between the back seat footwells. It is access for emergency pack disconnect.

That makes sense. I'd expect the charger to have more interconnects. You think this is just a wire shunt or bridge that emergency crews yank out? Have you seen it from inside the car?

garrytman said:
This might explain some of what's under there.

http://nissan-leaf.net/2010/11/07/weekly-roundup-all-the-leaf-and-other-ev-news-that-didnt-make-the-headlines-4/

Check out the animation shows the charger in that location.
I thought everyone had agreed that the charger was in that big ridge immediately behind the seats and in front of the trunk well. That was the way I interpreted the animation. Note that the charger is shown as sitting much higher than the battery pack.

This could be a charger and other control devices, not sure why the regen would go through the charger, that does not makes sense and it may just be a junction point for some reason. A limitation of 3.3kw of regen on a 300V pack is so low it's not going to do much of anything, the car must have more regen then that. These sure are bulky EV parts for such a low power EV. If that were only a charger it sure is HUGE!

The parking brake is mounted there. In the video you can see the actuator and looping cables. Also, the allen wrench in the trunk is a manual release for the parking brake if you have a electrical failure.

garygid said:
Where does one "apply" the allen wrench to unlock the parking brake?

lower left corner of picture in first post the black plug unscrews to access the release. In earlier post on first page said was a allen bolt.

garygid said:
Where does one "apply" the allen wrench to unlock the parking brake?

I'd take a wild guess at one of those 2 rubber plugs is removed, as seen in the picture to access the manual release

GroundLoop said:
top-port.jpg

2 big are HV + and -
2 little are low voltage main relay control

all HV components are controlled by low voltage VCM

the SDSW has a redundancy built into it - the little guys control the relays that control the big guys. no low voltage, main relays cannot close circuit and allow current to big poles (unless they are welded shut somehow! :D)

palmermd said:
why are they showing the charger doing the regeneration instead of the inverter? This is the first time i've seen this done. This will limit regen to 3.3kw, will it not? Is the animation incorrect, or is this a new way of doing this?

The regen is up to 30KW according to the power readouts from the main computer screen.

Does anybody know the exact electronics above the motor? Is it a 2-way AC to DC ("inverter") and also transfomers for adjusting DC voltage before giving to inverter to give power to motor, but can also go backwards and convert back to DC to regen the battery pack?

If this is so, there seems to be some redundancy because the charger thing behind the battery pack can convert from AC to DC as well.. If the thing behind the battery pack is a AC to DC converter, then I would assume that it would do the conversion during regen, and the 3.3KW limitation might be some software limitation, because the J1772 plug can handle up to 7.4KW/32amps/250volts according to the pdf for the plug.

Questions questions.
Can't wait until we get the 1500 page maintenance manual for the car!

danwat1234 said:
palmermd said:
why are they showing the charger doing the regeneration instead of the inverter? This is the first time i've seen this done. This will limit regen to 3.3kw, will it not? Is the animation incorrect, or is this a new way of doing this?

The regen is up to 30KW according to the power readouts from the main computer screen.

Does anybody know the exact electronics above the motor? Is it a 2-way AC to DC ("inverter") and also transfomers for adjusting DC voltage before giving to inverter to give power to motor, but can also go backwards and convert back to DC to regen the battery pack?

If this is so, there seems to be some redundancy because the charger thing behind the battery pack can convert from AC to DC as well.. If the thing behind the battery pack is a AC to DC converter, then I would assume that it would do the conversion during regen, and the 3.3KW limitation might be some software limitation, because the J1772 plug can handle up to 7.4KW/32amps/250volts according to the pdf for the plug.

Questions questions.
Can't wait until we get the 1500 page maintenance manual for the car!

The inverter does the conversion. The flow diagram using the charger with regen could easily be a mistake by the marketing dept as it is not a practical way to do regen. We shall see. The motor and inverter are capable of 80kw of regen, it's always the same as the output but they are limiting it. Too bad.

The proper control and limiting of the charging and Regen requires the BMS and some monitoring functions that a charging controller would do. Basically, if the battery is getting too full, then limit or shut down charging and Regen.

But, so far, it is not clear where those Regen-related sensing and control functions are located.

GroundLoop said:
What's the big black box inside battery pack attached to the main rails? I thought it was the charger, but it might be just the switch/relay?
whatsit.jpg

GL - aside from the cells, the other three main components in the battery box are the main power relay/contactor (likely the black box with the wide metal conductors that lead to the front-of-pack terminals), the safety disconnect switch (the 2-socket 'tower' that sits below the rear 'tunnel'), and the inertia emergency power disconnect switch (crash disconnect).

We've examined the safety disconnect switch and inertia disconnect before:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=511

Back