Just cause it's electric...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haykinson

So my leaf is a week in my possession now, and I find myself driving it too much -- I feel like taking it out every time I have a chance to. I don't walk to lunch at work -- I drive more now. I find a reason to go to the store. I take people to show them the car, and somehow we end up on a short drive. I feel that every time I drive somewhere is a chance for someone to notice the car, and thus is a chance for some accidental advocacy.

I've never had this level of excitement about a car before, and so I wonder if I'm by myself in this situation of driving too much. So far from monitoring the forums it feels like it's not... but does this wear off? So a question for the folks who've had their car for a bit longer: do you still drive too much, or have you generally fallen back to treating it like a normal car?

haykinson said:
do you still drive too much, or have you generally fallen back to treating it like a normal car?

A normal car, except that I do feel less guilty about driving short distances (like around the corner to the mailbox) and I no longer feel an overwhelming need to "group" my weekend outings to use less gas.

I've had mine for over 4 months and I still really enjoy driving it. I wouldn't say that I drive too much, but I would say that I'm always happy to run to the store if someone in the family needs something, or just to get out and enjoy the day. A lot of this attitude is due to how pleasant it is to drive the car, and the fact that I'm driving on free solar power.

My guess is that your silly EV grin will only fade slightly over the next 12 months. :)

There are long threads here that discuss this feeling you're having, and it's an overwhelming consensus that most people are not tired of their EV yet. You're used to feel guilty about driving before (expensive gas, emission), but now it's like new-found freedom from the guilt and the cost and you're excited to share your experience with everyone.

There is still so much ignorance and myths about EVs out there, though, that it makes you want to become even more evangelical and go out spread the good news. There's also a thread on this forum that discusses some of the myths and ignorance people still have that makes for entertaining reading.

6 months and still driving it every chance I get. I was driving our old Civic Hybrid 22 miles a day over the 3 year average. We are now averaging about 34 miles a day in the LEAF. It is far cheaper to run and has twice the performance of the Civic. I am pretty passive but if someone comes up to me with questions I am more than happy to tell them how wonderful the car actually is.

I'm in the same boat as you are. There's now no reason for me not to drive, considering I'm not polluting the air and it costs next to nothing to operate. I like being followed by Prius drivers, I think some of them notice it's electric :) I still can't get over the fact I'm actually driving a 100% electric car, as I've dreamed of all my life. It still feels rather surreal.

haykinson said:
... but does this wear off? So a question for the folks who've had their car for a bit longer: do you still drive too much, or have you generally fallen back to treating it like a normal car?

After 3 months I am doing more driving than before and talking more about the car. I was surprised that I enjoy driving again and look forward to the commute to work and back again. I wonder how long this feeling will go on!

Sure, just today I needed some stationery supplies. Should I get them at the nearest grocery store (big markup), the nearest drugstore (moderate markup) or drive four extra miles for a rock bottom price at Walmart? Back in the ICE age I would have picked the drugstore. Today I went to Walmart.

Ray

haykinson said:
I've never had this level of excitement about a car before, and so I wonder if I'm by myself in this situation of driving too much
It was very hard for me to turn in the Hertz rental LEAF after 48 hours and 275 miles. I've never had so much fun just doing "normal" driving before. Nissan: please get production moving and sell me a LEAF so I can have fun driving every day!

If there's a trip to be made, I strongly encourage taking our Leaf. Unless we're driving to another city, it's at the top of the car list.

Heading downtown? TTL.
Heading to the store to get milk? TTL.
Heading to grab some lunch? TTL.
Picking kids up from school? TTL.

And so on. We've really worked to demote the old Sienna to "large groups of 5+ only" or to the person who has the least miles to cover that day.

In just one month, we've put nearly 1,100 miles on it. At a cost less than one tank of gas in the Sienna. :)

do you find yourself no longer jumping on the freeway for the cross town jaunt to the mall finding surface streets are more efficient, but more importantly, provides much more EXPOSURE for your shiny new car?

do you find yourself volunteering for those quick trips to the grocery store kinda hoping someone will stop and ask you a few questions?

do you find yourself not being annoyed at those daily or weekly errands you used to find so time consuming?

do you find yourself taking a slightly longer but slower route in hopes of boosting your mileage above that golden 5 miles per kwh mark??

if so; you must be driving a Leaf!

Well, one out of four isn't bad... :lol:

DaveinOlyWA said:
do you find yourself no longer jumping on the freeway for the cross town jaunt to the mall finding surface streets are more efficient, but more importantly, provides much more EXPOSURE for your shiny new car?

do you find yourself volunteering for those quick trips to the grocery store kinda hoping someone will stop and ask you a few questions?

do you find yourself not being annoyed at those daily or weekly errands you used to find so time consuming?

do you find yourself taking a slightly longer but slower route in hopes of boosting your mileage above that golden 5 miles per kwh mark??

if so; you must be driving a Leaf!

I dread driving my ICE now. It feels like I've driving something from an Industrial Revolution museum.
I also love driving around with the entertainment system turned off and just enjoying the sounds of silence.

Guilty as "charged". 2 months and almost 2000 miles. I just went to pick up my daughter at a neighbor's house yesterday...a usual 3 min walk down the block, but felt I had to take the LEAF, since I don't get to drive it during the weekday. Kept the "engine" ON as I picked her up without feeling guilty. What a feeling!

Sorry Nissan, for being a bit harsh on you about the skipped delivery fiasco...what a wonderful car. I really hope someday everyone get a chance to own an EV.

I hate to admit it, I'm not even making a grocery list lately, almost wanting to forget something. Oooops, forgot to get more butter, guess I'll have to make another trip to the grocery store! This is the first car I've ever owned where I have a desire to rack up the odometer. Some of it is out of a sense of proving a new technology, being proud of each new thousand miles we put on it without an issue cropping up and a lot of it is from it just being so darn fun to drive. Nearly 5K now, no issues and all for less than $100 of electricity!

Ouch! That hurts! I'm starting to feel and experience exactly what everyone else is saying, and I've only had the car LESS than a week. I had to "force" myself to ride my bicycle to work today. Actually, when the weather is nice, the "bicycle" grin is more enjoyable than the "EV" grin. I'm pretty sure that winter driving will beat out riding.

Reddy
Delivered 8/18/11

I may drive somewhat more with the leaf and the main reason is the lack of guilt that comes with the ice vehicle. Not to mention the leaf is a very comfortable, easy going, quiet ride.

I now have to force myself to drive my ford escape hybrid so I won't ruin the HV battery. I now have the leaf, Vectrix electric motorcycle, and the ford escape hybrid. The leaf is definitely my favorite, but the wife usually gets the pleasure of driving it. I ride the Vectrix during the week and the leaf on the weekends.

I love that freedom of driving feeling again without worrying about supporting terrorism, air pollution, or the high price of gas.

If you could bottle that feeling and sell it you would make a fortune. I know the leafs will sell like hotcakes once more people get behind the wheel. It is a completely different experience driving electric.

I would really like to hear about the Vectrix electric motorcycle. If you have the time please start a thread and write a review about it. Until recently I did not know electric motorcycles were so far along.

GaslessInSeattle said:
I would really like to hear about the Vectrix electric motorcycle. If you have the time please write a review and start a thread about it. Until recently I did not know electric motorcycles were so far along.

It looks like you are in Seattle by your name, which is funny because I purchased my Vectrix at the vespa store in Seattle. It was a couple of years back, but I believe the guy who sold it to me was Steve. He was one of the owners and a nice gentlemen to do business with.

I love the Vectrix plain and simple. It led me to the leaf purchase, because they are so practical. You simply plug them in at night and then enjoy the ride. The nimh battery like the one I have had some issues when Vectrix first pu them on the market. The range was advertised as an exxagerated number and the bms allowed the battery to charge fully and drain all the way down to complete zero. This killed off the batteries faster than they could sell them. I of course have a new bike with the upgraded software, which means there are no issues.

If you want to learn more about Vectrix specifically, you should go to v is for voltage forum. Go to electric rides tab, then EV motorcycles, and then the Vectrix conversation that prett much dominates that forum.

I'm not sure about the new Vectrix with lithium batteries. Im sure it is much better for range, bms, etc.

I love mine, but you have to understand how to manage the batteries. It's not simply plug and play like the leaf. Well, at least not the older nimh Vectrix. You have to purposely run down the battery until the low battery light comes on, then give it a charge to get the full charge/range. It's different.

Range is realistically around 25-38 miles at higher speeds, so it's not for everyone. It charges rather quickly and top speed is 62. The new lithium ones go 68 and have a reported range of 70 miles, much more pratical.

Back