Just got a 2013 Leaf that only has 4 bars left on the battery, how long will the battery last?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klausstein

I am new to the forum. I just got a 2013 Leaf S for better than free (got a check and the car from the dealer thanks to the Oregon Rebate). It has 89000 miles and only 4 bars left on the battery thus giving me about a 35 mile range (actually think it is less). This is fine since I only drive in town, but I am wondering how long the battery will last. I am fairly new to the Leaf world and plan on driving this one until the battery can't get me to work and back, then swap out the battery...or just get another Leaf. The car is in really good shape and drives great. Any guesses about the battery life would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Get Leaf Spy. It will get you a better idea of what is going on with the battery. Read around on the forum to get a better idea of what the Leaf is about. As far as how long the battery will last there is no way to determine that. Too many factors that can help or hurt battery life over time.

Get Leaf Spy. It will get you a better idea of what is going on with the battery. Read around on the forum to get a better idea of what the Leaf is about. As far as how long the battery will last there is no way to determine that. Too many factors that can help or hurt battery life over time.
Thanks for the reply. I am getting an OBD II and Leaf Spy today, and hopefully can get a little more grasp on things. :)

As condition of the vehicle is good and you live in Portland, you may want to talk to EV Rides about a possible battery exchange/upgrade down the road. They have a good reputation for changing out depleted battery packs with used batteries in better condition.

As condition of the vehicle is good and you live in Portland, you may want to talk to EV Rides about a possible battery exchange/upgrade down the road. They have a good reputation for changing out depleted battery packs with used batteries in better condition.
I actually have reached out to them. Because I still have the range to get too and from work I’m going to hold off on the swap, but they are definitely the ones I will be going to when I’m ready. Their quote was much less than anybody else I have reached out to, and I love all the positive reviews.

The cells are nicely balanced and close with delta of only 16mV min/max.
but the 4 bars, 33% of 24kwh is only about 8kwh in the tank.
If you are an ecomiler that can get 4 miles per kwh, then 30 miles of range is great.
Check the cells again when the SoC is down around 20% or less to see if they hang together.
If they do then you can drive that bad boy till the stirrups are draggin' in the mud

It is perfect for a 6 mile/day driver. The cells are in great balance, they are just worn down and have lost capacity, so the range is down to 30% of new.

But as long as they can continue to drive and charge, they are worth using till they won't. There is nothing unsafe about this.

Try stomping on the pedal and make a WOT acceleration run. That will load the pack and reveal any weak cells. The car will go into turtle mode if any one cell drops below the low voltage limit.

lol. I actually did that yesterday and it accelerated great! No turtle mode there. I really appreciate all the info. There is so much out there it gets a little overwhelming. One more question, if you don’t mind. I have a Juice Box charger at my house for our other Leaf. What is best for charging 110 trickle or the Juice Box, or does it matter?

i would go with the 120vac charging--less stress at lower amps. You might go 3 or 4 days between charges with your low mileage trips.

I actually have reached out to them. Because I still have the range to get too and from work I’m going to hold off on the swap, but they are definitely the ones I will be going to when I’m ready. Their quote was much less than anybody else I have reached out to, and I love all the positive reviews.
How much is the quote? I have contact with distributor for CATL that can ship modules with the can-bridge.
65kwh u get 220 miles on that standard. you can likely sell some of your old modules or the whole lot as well for something on ebay.

How much did they quote you?
I have access to distributors for CATL modules including can-bridge which are pretty competitive.

Wow, someone not upset with a 4-bar Leaf!
Realistic perspective and a great attitude.
The car was more than free….dealership literally wrote me a check. Oregon has a $5k voucher program and the dealership has to write a check for the difference if the car costs less.
I figure I’ll drive it into the ground then get a new battery. 😊
How much did they quote you?
I have access to distributors for CATL modules including can-bridge which are pretty competitive.
Here’s what they quoted me.

Attachments

• IMG_7885.jpeg
    IMG_7885.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 4
Just for reference that might help your query, we bought a 2016 Leaf almost 3 years ago with 46,000 miles on the odometer and 86.1% state of battery health (SOH).
We have since driven it about 13,000 miles, all local driving, with about 60 miles round trip in our hilly country being the longest drive we make in it.
We still show a GOM range in the high 80s to low 90s in the summer, and our state of health now is 83%.
We still have 11 bars though the odometer now reads 59,000 miles!
We use it totally in the local environment because it doesn’t have enough range to really go anywhere (24kW battery).
But given our experience, 8 years (or perhaps 9, depending on the actual manufacturing date), we still have 83% battery life, and are so completely happy with our purchase of the car in other respects as well, such as the solid feeling and handling, comfortable seats, very quiet inside of course, that we haven’t regretted our purchase one bit.
So I would urge you once your battery runs down, as others said above, to get a replacement battery, even if it’s only got 80% or 85% SOH, because you’re looking at as least 10 more years of running life.
I’ll never go back to gas engine vehicles. Convenience, no oil,no gas, none of that stuff, but also just the feeling of simplicity and increased reliability that comes with more recent Nissan Leaf models is not to be dismissed. It’s a viable, really useful and ecological way to get around.

I have a 2012 Leaf with 83,000 KM on the odometer, and a few weeks ago my 13 bar charge increased to 14, I also have never quick charged the car (I have owned it for almost 4 years now). I have replaced the precharge resistor twice now (coldest time of the year both times) and when the the dealer has a fixed rate to do this at 8 hours that is expensive(even though it took less than 4 hours). But then I charge at home most of the time on my solar system so no charge for electricity.

Well, I think I know why my milage is so low. 🙂
Check the balance when the SOC is low to see how the cells are.

BTW, please keep us updated with LS screen shots. When your Hx gets below a certain point, it may trigger a dashboard warning and set a trouble code. This probably will not affect the usability.

How many regen bubbles can you get?

Back