Kia Soul now part of the EZ-Charge program

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgs333

When I was trying to finally activate my Ez-charge card over the weekend, I noticed that now the Kia Soul shows up. A few days earlier, only the Leaf showed up.

I guess we should welcome the Soul owners to the frustrating experience that is Ez-charge. I'm not sure if they have a similar 'no charge to charge' program for their cars.

It can only help to have more choices. Who runs the ez-charge program?

mgs333 said:
When I was trying to finally activate my Ez-charge card over the weekend, I noticed that now the Kia Soul shows up. A few days earlier, only the Leaf showed up.

I guess we should welcome the Soul owners to the frustrating experience that is Ez-charge. I'm not sure if they have a similar 'no charge to charge' program for their cars.

kieranmullen said:
Unfortunately, it is run by one of the networks - namely, NRG (eVGO). It's one of, if not the only, reason that one of the other networks (ChargePoint) dropped out of the program*. I think it's because NRG would have had access to all the data, but would not be obligated to share it with the other participating networks, or something like that.

I agree in general though that the more (car makers and models, and chargers) the better, but feel that Nissan should have got a third party to administer the NCTC program, or done it themselves.

* I think that technically, ChargePoint dropped out of the No-Charge-To-Charge program, but not out of EZ-Charge. In other words, the 'universal' EZ-Charge card will work at their stations, but will not necessarily provide any free charging time.

mbender said:
I agree in general though that the more (car makers and models, and chargers) the better, but feel that Nissan should have got a third party to administer the NCTC program, or done it themselves..
Totally agree..
As a new (used) Leaf owner, I'd love to participate in the EZ-Charge program.
Not sure why they tied NCTC with EZ-Charge....
Nissan should be offereing EZ-Charge (Not NCTC, although that would be nice.. :) ) to all their car owners..

Open up EZ-Charge to all EV owners.. I already have ( let's see... AV, Blink, OpConnect, Sema, Chargepoint... is that it? I can't remember..) at least 5 different cards...
I don't mind using 5 or more different services, but can't I do that with 1 card? ;-)

desiv

mbender said:
kieranmullen said:
Unfortunately, it is run by one of the networks - namely, NRG (eVGO). It's one of, if not the only, reason that one of the other networks (ChargePoint) dropped out of the program*.
* I think that technically, ChargePoint dropped out of the No-Charge-To-Charge program, but not out of EZ-Charge. In other words, the 'universal' EZ-Charge card will work at their stations, but will not necessarily provide any free charging time.

They dropped out of EZ-Charge in May of last year due to concerns with what NRG was going to do with Chargepoint's customer data, but rejoined back in July after getting that worked out. But yes, as far as I know you don't get any extra "free" stations beyond those which are already free (Around 60% are free). There are a number of L2 Chargepoint Walgreens chargers that are part of the program, but I believe they are co-operated with CarCharging. So it may be CarCharging that is technically giving it free to No Charge to Charge users, rather than Chargepoint. Chargepoint hasn't been very clear about just how involved they are in No Charge to Charge.

It should also be noted that not all eVgo stations are part of No Charge to Charge as well.

Back