LAX Again

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzwibel

It has been quite a while since I parked my Leaf at LAX.

I will be going to Florida this June and will park at LAX lot 1. Do I need any stickers to park there free (I did not need any 9 months ago)? If I am lucky enough to get a spot with a charging station is it ok to stay there for a week (that is how long I will be gone). Am I allowed to park there free if I do not get one of those lucky spots?

Michael
Cayenne Red Leaf
May 29 - 1 year anniversary - currently 13560 miles

You can park in any spot, no need to charge or
park in any "special" spot. Actually parking inside,
out of the sun, has some benefit in avoiding
overly heating of the car each day.

An EV exiting Parking Lot #1 (and #6 I think)
get up to 30 days free parking, I believe.

Best to have a Plan B (and Plan C) for charging, if needed.

If I am lucky enough to get a spot with a charging station, is it ok to hog it for one week while I am travelling?

No please. It is discourteous to others and also I am told that your 12V battery might drain when plugged in for a lengthy period of time, not sure how long though.

I suggest that you pay $5 tip to the attendant and ask him to unplug maybe after a few hours and you can check that from your iPhone.

Gary is correct - up to 30 days free parking in lot 1 or 6. Other notes:

- lot 5 is connected to lot 6, so if you are flying delta, you don't need to park in 6 and walk. I parked in 5 last week and walked to terminal 4 where American Airlines is and it was a 3 minute walk. I'm not sure if lot 2 is connected to lot 1, but it stands to reason.

- parking on the top level means direct access to the departure bridge, but it will be hotter up there

- parking is free, but expect to spend 5 minutes checking out of the lot when you leave as they have to bring in the manager, take down your driver license info, and fill out some paperwork

- I personally don't need to charge when I park at LAX because it's only 24 miles round trip, but comments on this forum seem to suggest you can leave it plugged in as long as you leave a note saying it's ok to unplug you when charging is complete. If you don't need to charge to get home, it would be more considerate to park elsewhere and leave the spots open for drivers who need to charge.

- I just used it for 10 days this month, and I saw the new chargers flooded with LEAFs on my way out. A pleasant sight to see! Even more pleasant to see was the $360 parking fee come up on the screen that I didn't have to pay!

I don't remember it being valet parking. Which attendant would I leave my keys to so I can have them move the car after it is charged up. And how would I know where they moved it to - I don't want to be searching for the car when I get back.

mzwibel said:
If I am lucky enough to get a spot with a charging station, is it ok to hog it for one week while I am travelling?
Parking limit is 30 days.

If you cannot get a J-plug I would not hesitate to use the 120v outlets near elevator in P6. You can also park in P5 and I believe P7 as long as you cross the bridge and exit designated P6 or P1.

120v outlet worked perfect while I enjoyed a week in Hawaii last month. :)

JustinC said:
- I just used it for 10 days this month, and I saw the new chargers flooded with LEAFs on my way out. A pleasant sight to see! Even more pleasant to see was the $360 parking fee come up on the screen that I didn't have to pay!

Are those new chargers in Lot1? And are they Chargepoints? I don't see it on Chargerpoint's website yet. Anyone knows?

occ said:
JustinC said:

Are those new chargers in Lot1? And are they Chargepoints? I don't see it on Chargerpoint's website yet. Anyone knows?

The new ones are all Clipper Creeks, but beware last time I went there, of all of the charging stations there were only 2 open spots, and only 2 cars charging out of ALL of them (more then 20 stations) the rest were just taking up the spots... There is some lee-way in lot 1 as you can put the cord over the concrete barrier and park, in lot 6 there is almost no options to do that.

-Matt

mkjayakumar said:
No please. It is discourteous to others and also I am told that your 12V battery might drain when plugged in for a lengthy period of time, not sure how long though.

I suggest that you pay $5 tip to the attendant and ask him to unplug maybe after a few hours and you can check that from your iPhone.

I would have to disagree about the battery information. I parked in LAX for 14 days on a 120V outlet plugged in the whole time. Started right up when I got back. The only problem is after 7 day or so I could no longer check the status of my car through carwing.

I am planning on going to Thailand next year for 3 weeks. Do you think it is safe to park your car there for that long? Thats what I would be worried about.

I just parked for 10 days and didn't lose any charge while gone. I was concerned while away because I couldn't get the status from Carwings, but I guess it stops communicating after a few days of inactivity - probably to prevent battery drain.

mkjayakumar said:
No please. It is discourteous to others and also I am told that your 12V battery might drain when plugged in for a lengthy period of time, not sure how long . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . um . . . if the 12v aux battery drains, maybe you might want to find out why your car's solar panel (built into the rear of the Leaf's roof) isn't working ... because that's what it's supposed to be doing.

hill said:
mkjayakumar said:
No please. It is discourteous to others and also I am told that your 12V battery might drain when plugged in for a lengthy period of time, not sure how long . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . um . . . if the 12v aux battery drains, maybe you might want to find out why your car's solar panel (built into the rear of the Leaf's roof) isn't working ... because that's what it's supposed to be doing.

Some people have SV's...

Back