LAX terminal 6 chargers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k2msmith

I happen to be driving in a shuttle at LAX from my flight to a parking lot and I noticed that terminal 6 appeared to have a good number of electric vehicle chargers there on the ground floor. From a few web searches, it looked like these chargers were not of the L1/L2 variety that we can use - but I am wondering do they have 110V outlets we can use with our own charger ? It would be great to be able to drive to airport and park overnight, while charging and be able to drive home. I'm out of range to do that now. (60 miles).

k2msmith said:
I happen to be driving in a shuttle at LAX from my flight to a parking lot and I noticed that terminal 6 appeared to have a good number of electric vehicle chargers there on the ground floor. From a few web searches, it looked like these chargers were not of the L1/L2 variety that we can use - but I am wondering do they have 110V outlets we can use with our own charger ? It would be great to be able to drive to airport and park overnight, while charging and be able to drive home. I'm out of range to do that now. (60 miles).
There are ChargePoint J1772 EVSEs at LAX
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

k2msmith said:

There are some 120v outlets scattered around parking lots 5 and 6. They are generally by the elevator shafts and the parking spots by them (if any) are not that easy to snag. Otherwise, no, there is nothing J1772 compatible in parking lot 6.

Last night (10/15) I picked up my car from LAX P6. As it's been said, the only chargers there are the paddle type, not useful for us Leafers. But parking is still free anywhere in the lot if you're an electric.

The dumb thing is that I saw TWO Leafs parked in the paddle charger area, no cables connected, of course, but occupying the charger spaces. This is NOT necessary to get free parking there, at least not at present. Just park in any space in P6, and when you exit, make sure they know you are an electric car. My cashier had to get help to figure out how to ring it up, but it was indeed free. Just, please, don't give us a bad reputation by blocking charger spaces that others could use. We'll hope that they put in some L1 or L2 chargers there soon. There are a few in structure P1, not far away, at the east end, on the outside wall.

Is it only P1 and P6?

What about P3? I understand that there is not likely to be any chargers in P3, but can I still park for free?

I'm guessing not. So I'll have to walk a bit further.

JustinC said:
Is it only P1 and P6?

What about P3? I understand that there is not likely to be any chargers in P3, but can I still park for free?

No, but the exercise is good for you. :) If you are alone and have luggage, stray carts can generally be found (I don't remember if there is a cart rack or not). Or you could drop a traveling companion curbside with the luggage and then walk back after parking.

Questions about the free parking in Lot 6:

I have entered Lot 6 and parked in Lot 6 for a few days and not paid when I exited from Lot 6.

However, what about these two scenarios:

1) If I enter Lot 6, drive over the internal bridge and park in Lot 5 (to be closer to my terminal) and then a few days later I exit from Lot 6 --> will it still be free?
I would assume so, but I do know they monitor the license plate numbers of all cars parked in their lots.

2) If I enter Lot 5, park in Lot 5 for a few days, and then when I exit, if I drive over the internal bridge to Lot 6 and exit from there --> will it still be free?
The reason to do this is so one can enter Lot5 from the Departures level rather than enter Lot6 from the Arrivals level which tends to be much busier.

I apologize if people think it's silly I am asking this, but I think it would be helpful.
Of course, I could just do what I did before - enter Lot6 and park in Lot6 - and I'm sure someone will tell me just to do so-- but I thought I'd ask if anyone has experience with the above scenarios. In fact, since I'm driving to the airport in just over an hour, I probably will just do Lot6 only, but it's good to know for my Xmas trip at least.

As long as you exit from P6 you should be fine, I don't think they track where you actually park. This morning I entered P5 from the departures level, crossed over to P6, parked there for like 1hr and exited from P6 for free. The exiting took some time as the parking cashier had to call for her supervisor who interrogated me on the subject of the car being fully electric or hybrid, then she wrote down my DL and license plate numbers and only then did they let me go. They must be seeing a dozen Leafs daily and I have a ZEV decal, not clear why the questioning but hey, I saved 3 bucks! There is a bunch of older chargers on the ground level, most of which were stupidly blocked by Leafs, I didn't see a J-plug there. I know it is an old thread but wanted to share my experience.

wq2345 said:
Questions about the free parking in Lot 6:

I have entered Lot 6 and parked in Lot 6 for a few days and not paid when I exited from Lot 6.

However, what about these two scenarios:

1) If I enter Lot 6, drive over the internal bridge and park in Lot 5 (to be closer to my terminal) and then a few days later I exit from Lot 6 --> will it still be free?
I would assume so, but I do know they monitor the license plate numbers of all cars parked in their lots.

2) If I enter Lot 5, park in Lot 5 for a few days, and then when I exit, if I drive over the internal bridge to Lot 6 and exit from there --> will it still be free?
The reason to do this is so one can enter Lot5 from the Departures level rather than enter Lot6 from the Arrivals level which tends to be much busier.

I apologize if people think it's silly I am asking this, but I think it would be helpful.
Of course, I could just do what I did before - enter Lot6 and park in Lot6 - and I'm sure someone will tell me just to do so-- but I thought I'd ask if anyone has experience with the above scenarios. In fact, since I'm driving to the airport in just over an hour, I probably will just do Lot6 only, but it's good to know for my Xmas trip at least.

Call the airport. they are very friendly in answering these questions. I do know that scenario 1 is cool (they dont care where you park), I dont know about 2; if it matters which gate issues your ticket.

JustinC said:
Is it only P1 and P6?

NOT FREE.

Entered lot 5 crossed to lot 6 and plugged in successfully on level 2. :)
I left my timer on so it will take a couple days to get to 80%, final day will go to 100%.

Question about the outlet if anyone knows....

Is the outlet wired split phase by any chance or would two of us overload the breaker?
I should have brought my multimeter to check ;)

The policy for the free parking for electric vehicles is for the parking structures that have been designated with/for electric car parking. You may move between structures that are connected.
It is better to exit out of P1 and P6 because those attendants are aware of the free parking policy.

Now, some good news and some very bad news.

As of 4/16/12 the chargers in P1 have been out of service, they are installing an additional 10 L2 chargers; however, most of those will be installed in the outside area to replace the old chargers. Each stall will have two chargers. The new chargers will not benefit us like the other 2 that can service up to 6 parking stalls. The new chargers per each stall will only service one car a at time unless somebody drill a hole through the concrete wall.
I talked to the contractor yesterday and these will be finished by the end of the week.
3 old chargers will remain.

P6 is getting about 13 L2 chargers. These will be in the place of the old chargers. These will work very well, you may park in either side of the chargers.

Now the really bad news.
When the installation of the new chargers was approved, the Airport Commision Board also discussed keeping the charging of electric vehicles free and start charging for the parking.
I'm looking for more information on this, to find out when it will take effect.

The free parking is the real attraction here.
If LAX begins to charge for the parking, the L2 J1772 EVSEs will just collect dust.
I suppose it might be useful when dropping/picking someone up, but even then it's doubtful how long one would use the spots.

If they do start charging for EV parking, then what is really needed is a couple dozen L1 spots in a prime location in Lot C for long term parking needs.
Of course, signage etc would be important so the spots don't get ICE'd.

smkettner said:
LAX will not need so many EV spots if they charge $30 per day.

May be, may be not. The number of plug-in cars is increasing every month. In many cases I'd like to be able to charge while I'm meeting someone and with free parking it will be more difficult as people will tend to park for extended periods hogging the charging stalls. Free long-term parking is nice but we all know it can't last forever. I'm thinking if they could provide free 2-3 hour parking it would be a good balance between lost revenue and support for EVs.

Back