Leaf Body Repair? Does everyone get their battery removed?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlleaf

12392672_2X.JPG

Leaf Body Shop Repair? Does everyone get their battery removed?

Per this doc:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/images/3/3e/BODY_SHOP_ADMINISTRATION_MANUAL_FOR_CERTIFIED_EV_DEALER_2011-Nissan-LEAF-Body_and_Paint.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its recommended if you are getting body repair and paint an EV dealer should remove the battery and HV components.

Has anyone gone though this? does local body shops even know?

How does one get an estimate for repair and batt removal/storage?

How much does the nissan dealer charge for this?

I've heard that you need to use a Nissan approved body shop.

I also know of people who only had the the replaced panels painted.

Lasareath said:
I've heard that you need to use a Nissan approved body shop.

I also know of people who only had the the replaced panels painted.

Be sure you pull the disconnect fuse that's located beneath the tunnel in the back seat area before anyone does any work on it.

They're telling me they won't need to take the battery out for my body work, which includes basically the whole front end. If they're replacing that whole part, they can probably paint it off the car and then install it later.

If I would guess, I would think doors and rear end stuff would be the ones that are more susceptible to needing the battery taken out.

i had mine removed.
insurance was good with it.
it was a nissan connected shop, part of autonation.
they did a great job.
also said it could be heated to a lower level than 120 but kept in the heat bin overnight. so longer and lower heat, just like slow-cooking a turkey or roast.

dunno why the finally agreed to my push for pulling it.
nissan dealer pulled the battery and stored it.
charged 3k to do it.
paid by insurance.
i thought the charge was outrageous, but i would not want to have the battery heated up.
there WERE issues with the associated electric harnesses related to being heated, as well as the battery.
also issues of life and death for arc welding with battery connected.
so safety!

It's been over 2 years since I had body work done on the front end of my LEAF. The shop worked closely with Nissan, didn't remove the pack. The body repair manual allows for paint booth with the battery in the vehicle as long as the sills don't get to 140F. The body shop said their paint booth isn't capable of that temp, and they don't bake for extended periods anyway.

41k miles now and 19% degraded, one bar lost. Pretty much on target for Nashville area.

As long as the shop follows precautions in the body repair manual, things should be fine for both their techs and the car.

just wanted to check if your body shop guy found any "BLUSH RUST" on your LEAF during the repairs :?: :?: :?:

I got into auto accident last year, March 2013 ... took my Leaf S into body shop for repairs ... battery was okay ... but... auto body shop found RUST on the chassie/ frame... they called me and would not complete repairs ... i had to called and talk to the manager at the NISSAN DEALERSHIP that i bought leaf from ... they informed/ contacted NISSAN CORP in Tennesee ... NISSAN CORP replyed by email from the PAINT COMPANY that it was called "BLUSH RUST" and that is a normal state on all leafs and the rust would not progress any further :!: :!: :!: ... my leaf was repaired only after NISSAN DEALERSHIP WORK ORDER FORM stating that the "BLUSH RUST" was a normal state was sent & recieved by my INSURANCE CO. and AUTO BODY SHOP ...
My insurance and auto body shop guy said that this was the first time he opened a brand new car (made in January 2013) with rust on the frame/ chassie ... and stated that this was not the norm, in all the auto repairs he has done, this was the 1st for him ...

2013 Black Leaf S

AlohaLeaf said:
just wanted to check if your body shop guy found any "BLUSH RUST" on your LEAF during the repairs :?: :?: :?:

I got into auto accident last year, March 2013 ... took my Leaf S into body shop for repairs ... battery was okay ... but... auto body shop found RUST on the chassie/ frame... they called me and would not complete repairs ... i had to called and talk to the manager at the NISSAN DEALERSHIP that i bought leaf from ... they informed/ contacted NISSAN CORP in Tennesee ... NISSAN CORP replyed by email from the PAINT COMPANY that it was called "BLUSH RUST" and that is a normal state on all leafs and the rust would not progress any further :!: :!: :!: ... my leaf was repaired only after NISSAN DEALERSHIP WORK ORDER FORM stating that the "BLUSH RUST" was a normal state was sent & recieved by my INSURANCE CO. and AUTO BODY SHOP ...
My insurance and auto body shop guy said that this was the first time he opened a brand new car (made in January 2013) with rust on the frame/ chassie ... and stated that this was not the norm, in all the auto repairs he has done, this was the 1st for him ...

2013 Black Leaf S

The batteries degrading in Pheonix was 'normal' as well.

The response is getting to be tiresome.

Here are some instructions for eliminating blushing for the paint shop at Smyrna.
http://www.paintforcars.com/blog/co...epair-and-prevent-them-from-happening-part-1/

it's NOT THE PAINT/ BODY on the Leaf that is RUSTING ... it's the so called NORMAL STATE of "BLUSH RUST" ON THE CHASSIE/ FRAME that my body shop and insurance co have concerns with .... THE BODY/ PAINT ON THE LEAF IS FINE ... my body and insurance guy states it is not a NORMAL STATE, they have NEVER SEEN A BRAND NEW CAR, less than 6 months old, WITH RUST ... "BLUSH RUST" ... ON ANY OTHER NEW CAR (Toyota, Ford, Chevy, Kia ... etc...), and they have been dealing with car repairs for over 20 years ...

Back