Leaf Coast to Coast?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stleaf

Has anyone driven a Leaf coast to coast? I see a Tesla and EV1 have driven to Michigan. A Canadian did Toronto-Vancouver...but I am unable to find any other information.

I am considering a coast to coast trip in my Leaf. Pacific to Atlantic and back again. Just for fun. I see that it can be done using a combination of RV parks, public and private charging stations.

Any thoughts, advice? Any Leaf drivers want to race? ;)

I mapped out a trip from Long Beach, NY to Long Beach, CA. According to my estimates, it would take 18 days one way. My boss won't let me have that many days off in a row. :(

A couple of French guys did more than just coast to coast in the U.S. a few months ago.... they were doing the whole world in a lower capacity Mitsubishi i-MiEV (Citroen C-Zero)... http://www.electric-odyssey.com/lodyssee/le-projet?lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sure. Still a work in progress, but here it is. https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=201938462808890481477.0004c177169a0f76b124d&msa=0&ll=36.279707,-95.317383&spn=24.847104,57.084961&iwloc=0004c1cf1861b362bf482" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Diverts attention from the true function of the EV as the perfect urban commuter car... Or we can demonstrate it to be the world's worst long distance travel car-- stopping every 60 to 90 minutes to recharge and mostly level 2 for hours and hours. I think it would be as fun as driving a riding lawn mower coast to coast....

For some, the fun of a road trip is seeing the stuff along the way (as in, while the car is charging). If it was just about getting to CA, I'd pick jetBlue over any car. That being said, I'm not convinced I could handle 18 days of driving. :?

I think the key here would be to use 2013 model. Men's Health magazine guys just drove Ford Focus electric coast to coast, and they were able to charge from empty to full in less than 4 hours in RV parks. I think their average stop was around 3 hours.

I was figuring Tony Williams would take up the challenge. :D

I have no Leaf but I wouldn't mind taking a roadtrip across the US. I just don't want to have to drive both directions. Unfortunately, shipping a car isn't cheap (done it a few times). :( Entrusting random people to do drive it is also questionable...

cwerdna said:
I was figuring Tony Williams would take up the challenge. :D

I have no Leaf but I wouldn't mind taking a roadtrip across the US. I just don't want to have to drive both directions.
Hmmm ... I think we solved that "problem" in Tony's case, didn't we ;)

stleaf said:
Has anyone driven a Leaf coast to coast? I see a Tesla and EV1 have driven to Michigan. A Canadian did Toronto-Vancouver...but I am unable to find any other information.

I am considering a coast to coast trip in my Leaf. Pacific to Atlantic and back again. Just for fun. I see that it can be done using a combination of RV parks, public and private charging stations.

Any thoughts, advice? Any Leaf drivers want to race? ;)
For me, being retired, I like the pace of an EV trip. I enjoy the logistical challenge, but don't think it's a beneficial face for EVs. Having done several charging at 3.3, 6.6, and 10.5 kW, I'd pass on 3.3. Though 3.3kW charging will give you lots of time to soak up the local points of interest, if you plan your stops well. If your route includes Tennessee, Texas, and Arizona QC stations, it will help your time enroute. Also consider that past trips have benefitted from what was largely free charging to offset the Hotel/RV site costs. That is changing now, so consider charging cost along with time, food, and accommodations. Also think about how elevation and weather (headwinds, heat, and cold) will affect your kW/mile, trip route, and timing.

I'm still thinking about the much more modest goal of Philly to Cincinnati (most of my family is in Cincinnati). The PA end of the trip will be easier when the PA Turnpike gets charging points in at all the service plazas. I've mapped out potential charging points from Cincinnati to Zanesville, but there doesn't seem to be much between Zanesville and Washington, PA. I think I could work something out from Philly to Harrisburg, but not sure what to do west of there...

tps said:
I'm still thinking about the much more modest goal of Philly to Cincinnati (most of my family is in Cincinnati). The PA end of the trip will be easier when the PA Turnpike gets charging points in at all the service plazas. I've mapped out potential charging points from Cincinnati to Zanesville, but there doesn't seem to be much between Zanesville and Washington, PA. I think I could work something out from Philly to Harrisburg, but not sure what to do west of there...

when you do, please post any notes or insights you may have as Indiana to Philadelphia will be part of my x-country expedition...if I ever end up doing it ...and i fi i do, i will certainly share the same :)

NYLEAF said:
I mapped out a trip from Long Beach, NY to Long Beach, CA. According to my estimates, it would take 18 days one way. My boss won't let me have that many days off in a row. :(

There are cyclist that can do it in 1/2 the time.

Using Leaf to go long distance is always a funny proposition. I'm by no means a good cyclist, but even I've done 130 miles in a day once: which is doubling what the Leaf can do on L1 charge and equaling what the Leaf can do on L2 charge.

yoyofella said:
NYLEAF said:

Using Leaf to go long distance is always a funny proposition. I'm by no means a good cyclist, but even I've done 130 miles in a day once: which is doubling what the Leaf can do on L1 charge and equaling what the Leaf can do on L2 charge.

Ok, I did about 370 miles in a day in a LEAF. Last month.

Slow charging really does suck for longer EV travel (even 50kW is slow, compared to other fuels).

TonyWilliams said:
yoyofella said:
NYLEAF said:

Ok, I did about 370 miles in a day in a LEAF. Last month.

Slow charging really does suck for longer EV travel (even 50kW is slow, compared to other fuels).

Did you end up 370 miles from your starting point? if not, then the 370 miles doesn't really mean much. The title of discussion is "Leaf Coast to Coast".

One suggestion to stleaf, or anyone contemplating coast-to-coast:

If I were planning it, I would definitely seek funding from online crowdsourcing communities such as Indiegogo, which has a record of supporting some surprisingly offbeat ventures. It may inspire their community or not, but it's certainly worth a shot. Even if cash contributions aren't forthcoming, some might like to offer charging locations and old-fashioned hospitality.

If money isn't a consideration, but promoting EV's is, it might still be worth looking into for the publicity.

Sounds like great fun, and a proper way to enjoy the long drive, rather than just pushing across country on interstate highways in as few days and hours as possible.

Maybe this generation of EVs could resurrect the leisurely vacation of old, stopping at the flimsiest of excuse for sightseeing dubious attractions...

Enjoy the trip!

yoyofella said:
Did you end up 370 miles from your starting point? if not, then the 370 miles doesn't really mean much. The title of discussion is "Leaf Coast to Coast".

The answer to this is yes.

Latest posts

Back