Leaf in California this next week!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I hope it's there, obviously. But we're going to drive up to Big Bear anyway and make a bit of a day out of it - nice drive, lunch, bit of a wander round. It's been a while since we've been up to the mountains.

I just checked my email and there's one from Nissan about the Leaf being there:

"....check out the 100% electric Nissan Leaf in person at any one of the finish line festivals..."

Edit: Oh, and the Master The Shift Facebook page is now up, so you can enter the Leaf sweepstakes. Follow the sweepstakes tab on the page. One entry per week that goes against weekly drawings of $500 in sporting equipment and also for the Grand Prize Leaf, which is going to awarded April 2011 - a total of 47 chances, if you remember to enter each week!

For the sweepstakes, click on the yellow facebook banner shown and that will take you to the mastertheshift facebook group. There click on the Sweepstakes page and you can enter on the form that comes up there. The drawing for the Leaf is not until April 2011, but there are $500 sporting goods certificates given away each week or each stage as shown in the official rules (click link on the entry form to see).

I'd like to see the next Amgen tour using LEAFs as the chase cars! Would make for great advertising for Nissan, and since they're zero-emissions the cyclists won't have to breathe the fumes! For that matter, it's about time they start using electric motorcycles for the cameramen.

garygid said:
With a 135 mile leg, climbing 8000 feet, the LEAF (or any electric motorcycle) would not make it - probably need 2 recharges.
You so sure about that? The vehicle would not have to travel much faster than the cyclists. If the Tesla graphs are any indication, one would expect nearly double the stated range when traveling at 20 mph, due to decreased wind resistance.

sjfotos said:
I read through that yesterday and concluded that the car was not going to be there. Still, you can enter to win a Leaf at the event....some compensation, no? AND, you can feed your addiction in person :)
I contacted the "Live Chat" person and asked if an actual LEAF will be at the finish line of each stage of the Amgen Bike Tour. Response: The vehicle on the Tour is a pre-production vehicle. It is exactly like the vehicle which will be put into mass production.

So, try and coax it over some truck scales so we can finish off the "Guess the weight" contest.

Futura said:
The vehicle on the Tour is a pre-production vehicle. It is exactly like the vehicle which will be put into mass production.

Cool! Looks like I may be the first to report back on it next Friday, based on the lackluster (zero) response from the NorCal crew when I asked if anyone was going to check it whilst it's up there!

mwalsh said:
Futura said:
The vehicle on the Tour is a pre-production vehicle. It is exactly like the vehicle which will be put into mass production.

Cool! Looks like I may be the first to report back on it next Friday, based on the lackluster (zero) response from the NorCal crew when I asked if anyone was going to check it whilst it's up there!

Wow ! If that is really true (you never know with cust. reps) that can answer quite a few questions.

Don't forget to take a lot of photos and check the interior.

johnr said:
garygid said:
With a 135 mile leg, climbing 8000 feet, the LEAF (or any electric motorcycle) would not make it - probably need 2 recharges.
You so sure about that? The vehicle would not have to travel much faster than the cyclists. If the Tesla graphs are any indication, one would expect nearly double the stated range when traveling at 20 mph, due to decreased wind resistance.

That is not going to happen. Wishful thinking though.

Will one be allowed to touch it, fold down a back seat, or sit in the driver's, the passenger, or a rear seat?

I suspect it will be roped off, for look and photograph only, to keep it clean. With nothing to see under the hood, the "fit" (interior, exterior, and human) and "finish" (materials, textures, paint) would likely be the primary observables.

I will wait until I can actually sit in one (primary issue is headroom), but I will also eagerly await the opportunity to examine the new pictures in high magnification.

Thanks to those who can go, and describe what they feel and post some good, sharp high-resolution pictures.

garygid said:
I suspect it will be roped off, for look and photograph only, to keep it clean. With nothing to see under the hood, the "fit" (interior, exterior, and human) and "finish" (materials, textures, paint) would likely be the primary observables.

I will wait until I can actually sit in one (primary issue is headroom), but I will also eagerly await the opportunity to examine the new pictures in high magnification.

Thanks to those who can go, and describe what they feel and post some good, sharp high-resolution pictures.

I suspect you're right. But if it turns out that you CAN have your way with it, at least you'll find out in time to be able to see it out at the Coliseum on Saturday.

I will, of course, take lots of pictures. I'm interested in seeing how the interior has changed, color-wise, from the ones we've been seeing.

I decided to go on the Friday because I think the crowds will be a fair bit lighter, being as it's a workday and the mountains are a bit out of the way.

Posted in the other leaf forum by Amit.

Just got back from downtown Sac, where the Leaf prototype (Nissan rep's term, not mine) was on display. It was the familiar blue color, kept locked and behind ropes, but you could get close enough to look inside through the windows. I was a bit surprised at the size - it looks bigger than the pictures/videos make it look. The rep said its bigger than the Versa, similar to the Rogue in interior size. Very clean, nice interior - looks more upscale than the Altima we'd looked at a few years ago. Lots of headroom!

The battery discussion was interesting - the rep, unprompted, brought up the concerns people have about the life/cost of replacement and said they plan to include the battery in their long-term warranty - he pointed to the Hyundai 100k warranty as an example and said Nissan plans to do something similar and cover the battery. I asked about how they plan to protect the early adopters if battery technology starts improving rapidly, and his response wasn't real specific, but he said Nissan plans to ensure that early adopters are not "left holding the bag". Sounds promising...

They're planning a 22-city tour around the end of summer to let prospective owners drive the "real" car. They've "passed" the NHTSA crash tests, but are not ready to release the results yet. They took pains to point out the 100 mile range is "average" and will vary depending on a variety of factors, but didn't take the bait when asked what they'd expect if I drove up a steep hill for say 50 miles with the pedal floored....;-)

Just got home from the Tour of California and got to see the LEAF for the first time in person. I was not able to attend the "tour" last year in Walnut Creek or San Jose due to work conflicts. I was really happy to be able to see the car in person. I was happy to see the size of the car. I was a little concerned about the size and space, but it looks like it will work out perfect for me. Sorry I did not get any pictures, but it is the same light blue car you've already seen 100's of times in pictures. I had my dog with me, so I could not spend too much time in the booth as we were a little in the way. I was able to peer into the windows and get a complete walk-around. I plan on going again to the finish in Modesto on Wednesday. I have to spend some more time and get a better "interview" with the representatives. I asked about June information and he indicated to me that they would be confirming the orders and getting more details about the specifics of the orders (options and such) at that time and also putting the orders in "order" at that time. That should be a fun process. I suppose then we will have a closer delivery date for each vehicle (my assumption not their words). I'm going to have to clarify this on Wednesday.

The one thing that caught me off guard was the headlight "bubble". I knew that the headlight had a pronounced bubble to help deflect the air around the rear view mirror, but I did not realize just how big and sculpted the bubble really was. From head on and from the side you really cant see how it is formed. Standing near the b-pillar and looking forward to the headlights was a bit shocking. The bubble has a vertical edge of about 3 inches above the hood-line. I just went back and watched the LEAF order website flash into. If you look at the passenger side headlight as the car is turning around to face you, you can see the vertical edge along the hood-line for just a split second.

In the image gallery this is the only one that comes close to showing it...take a close look at the headlights.

gallery-12.jpg

Don't get the wrong impression, I like the look especially because I know that there is a function for the look and it is not just for aesthetics. It is just the only thing I saw today that I did not expect. I can't wait to see it again on Wednesday and take a bit more time to take it all in.

evnow said:
Posted in the other leaf forum by Amit.

...The rep said its bigger than the Versa, similar to the Rogue in interior size.
(inches)....... Leaf.......Versa HB......Rogue
Length........ 175.0....... 169.1........ 182.9
Width.......... 69.7......... 66.7......... 70.9
Height......... 61.0......... 60.4......... 66.3
Wheelbase... 106.3....... 102.4........ 105.9

Back