LEAF in Kansas City

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm getting six temp bars also.

I got a new job and I'm using the LEAF for my commute. 68 miles round trip. I take a slow route to work and take the highways back home. I did 70 to 75mph all the way home today. The south wind pushed me home today.

Thanks Tom. The owner of the business already said that they would be putting a plug in for me. I'm going to shoot for a 240V plug since I can L2 charge with my evse.

Got my 12 month battery check today and all 5 stars (but of course, we don't really know the actual capacity from that). June 4th, 2012 was my actual purchase date. I was offered the cabin filter change, but she just rolled over 7K miles, so I said I didn't think it needed it and the Randy Reed service tech said probably not. Tire rotation costs $24.95, but I had $10 on the Rewards program so applied that. Got out of there for $17.69 tire rotation and a free car wash (of course, I had to go dry it off myself - I hate spots!). Beautiful day today. Happy Memorial Day, everyone. Going to put out my flag now. Salute to all vets!

Well, it's official. After painting the parking lot with EV Only parking stalls, laying the electric cable to the post in the parking lot, the 'new' Hy-Vee @ 95th and Antioch is NOT completing the installation of their EVSE. The store manager called the builder when I asked him about it and after the call he replied that the corporate office cancelled the installation. I told him that was too bad because I was willing to drive across town to shop there if they had put it in but now I would just go to the Hen House market 1 mile down the street. I didn't tell him I was going to post all over the internet how lousy Hy-Vee was for cancelling the installation. IMHO this was a stupid move on their part because the expensive part of the work, laying the wire, was already completed. At least now I can quit looking to see when it's done and just stay out of that parking lot. It's always packed and it certainly isn't worth the hassle to shop there.

Not to be completely down on Hy-Vee, the plugs in Lawrence are still operational. I would actually rather shop at that one even though it's 30 miles away than the one in Overland Park which is only 5.

Hy-Vee, prepare for an actual letter to arrive at your corporate office.

Found a new charging station.....in London. It's half a block away from the B&B I'm staying at. Someone was using it earlier today.

image.jpg

Very cool Eric. I was just thinking about you this morning. I rolled in at exactly 13k miles when I took my son to summer camp staff. I got a picture I'll post. Your picture didn't come through.

Hope you're having a good time in London. I remember my trip there years...ok decades ago.

How many miles do the KC Metro Leafs have?

Herm, Kathy, Mark, Eric?

Tom - 13,000 (in 11 months)

Mark will eventually beat us all for mileage with his new job and commute.

New EVSE @ 87th and Renner in 2014 when the new Perceptive building finishes. Maybe sooner since the parking lot is going in first.

I stopped at the new EVSE in Olathe @ the new justice center on Santa Fe. It's across street from the EVSE @Walgreens.

Attachments

• scaled.jpg
    scaled.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 3
  • scaled justice evse.jpg
    scaled justice evse.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 3
ksnogas2112 said:
How many miles do the KC Metro Leafs have?

(Dr. Dave)Herm, Kathy, Mark, Eric?

Tom - 13,000 (in 11 months)

Mark will eventually beat us all for mileage with his new job and commute.

New EVSE @ 87th and Renner in 2014 when the new Perceptive building finishes. Maybe sooner since the parking lot is going in first.

I stopped at the new EVSE in Olathe @ the new justice center on Santa Fe. It's across street from the EVSE @Walgreens.
Have had my car since 6-4-12 and the odometer just rolled over 7000 last week...you guys are traveling GIANTS (I'm an ant)! :oops:

How many of you have reached LBW, VLBW and Turtle and how often?
I got LBW once...had to giggle like a schoolgirl (never depleted my fuel below one bar this whole year).
We miss you, Eric! London? Jealous...

eclecticflower said:
How many of you have reached LBW, VLBW and Turtle and how often?
I got LBW once...had to giggle like a schoolgirl (never depleted my fuel below one bar this whole year).
We miss you, Eric! London? Jealous...

LBW - not too frequent but I quit paying attn to LBW.
VLBW - like 4 or 5 times. Still get nervous with these.
Turtle - not yet but sniffed it a couple times. Given the volume of EVSE's around here you probably wouldn't turtle in the city but maybe on return from a long trip east or south. I thought I was going to LBW Monday but didn't. Two round trip interstate trips to local Scout camp to drop off son and get the paperwork he forgot.

ericvoll said:
Found a new charging station.....in London. It's half a block away from the B&B I'm staying at. Someone was using it earlier today.

image.jpg

That's an odd looking EVSE. Where's the J1772 or is it a power pole and you have to use the 120volt Panasonic that comes with the car?

Got the car on October 31st 2012. I have 7300 miles on it now. I have 15k miles a year for my lease.

LBW - all the time. I always pull in the drive with less than 10 miles on the GOM with my commute. The owner of the biz is going to put in a plug for me so it won't be an issue soon.
VLBW - 3 times.
Turtle - not yet.

I never worry about running out of juice. I actually like cutting it close. It makes me feel like I'm a pioneer or something;) I can't wait until I get some time off work so I can go back to Horton. I found out there is a MAEAA member that lives in Reserve Kansas. We are going to hang out when I go back there.

I'm looking for someone to go on road trips with this summer if anyone is interested.

So, after having some lunch in Paris, guess what I came across? I actually saw an electric vehicle driving around....no artificial sound by the way.

image.jpg

image.jpg

ksnogas2112 said:
ericvoll said:

image.jpg

That's an odd looking EVSE. Where's the J1772 or is it a power pole and you have to use the 120volt Panasonic that comes with the car?

It's all tucked inside the metal flap I think. The connector is much smaller. I'll see if I can get a picture; it's about 1/2 block from my B&B. There is a car parked there that uses it often. I didn't want to be a weird "tourist" though.

Interesting, Eric! Feel free to be a tourist...few people will know you there and you'll probably be gone soon. Those charging units and parking space set-ups are quite a contrast to ours...

...regarding contrasts, my aunt bashed my EV yesterday (at a pre-funeral visitation, of all places)..."let's all take a road trip in our 3 cars to St. Louis and see how far you get before you run out of charge" or "how far your plug reaches...hahaha!" and "who wants to sit for hours and charge?? Hahaha!"

For the record, none of "us 3" have done road trips in recent memory ( :roll: I fly now!). Auntie bought her "new" Toyota Corolla last year at the same time I bought my LEAF (fibber, it came from CarMax w/21K miles on it). She'd even questioned me then about how many cars I've bought (really? 5 in 35 years...they do wear out; LEAF = #6). Funny thing, a LEAF would be perfect for her (~20 mile daily RT), but she'd never admit it (stubborn 69-year-old, still working to catch up her nest egg, pay for car and cigarettes - modern gal, but her wig's on too tight!).

Guess I need to practice my comeback: "Sweety, my LEAF expenses end with my car payment & insurance. You just keep right on buying that gas, changing that oil and those filters! I'll wave at you from the friendly skies on my next "road trip" - hahaha!"

Immature, but my inner child wants to return the meanness (family :x ). Got anything better, guys (short of pulling off her wig :eek: - I'd never really do that... :lol: )?

How much did you spend on electricity for your LEAF over the last year? I'm 4 days shy of my June 4th purchase aniversary, but here is my cost so far (it'll only be ~$1.35 off). KCMO has 2 split months (September & May) in which the rate changes from Summer rate (~$0.11 kWh) to Winter rate (~ $0.09 kWh) and vice versa, mid-month.

From 6/4/12-5/30/13, my total electricity consumption cost was ~$161! :D :D :D
Monthly average cost ($161 div. by 12) = ~$13.42. :)
This sure beats the ~ $1200/year I used to spend on gas. :roll:
Love my LEAF. I think I'll keep her! :p
G'bye, gas!!! :lol:

eclecticflower said:
How much did you spend on electricity for your LEAF over the last year? I'm 4 days shy of my June 4th purchase aniversary, but here is my cost so far (it'll only be ~$1.35 off). KCMO has 2 split months (September & May) in which the rate changes from Summer rate (~$0.11 kWh) to Winter rate (~ $0.09 kWh) and vice versa, mid-month.

From 6/4/12-5/30/13, my total electricity consumption cost was ~$161! :D :D :D
Monthly average cost ($161 div. by 12) = ~$13.42. :)
This sure beats the ~ $1200/year I used to spend on gas. :roll:
Love my LEAF. I think I'll keep her! :p
G'bye, gas!!! :lol:

20 Days left before my 1 year. Over 13,200 miles total on the dash. CarWings reports 12,662 miles and with the estimate rate at $.11 / kWh for the entire time, CW estimates $307 for the last 11 months. That's not quite accurate because my trip to Manhattan was on all public/free charges. Lately we've had Boy Scout Committee meetings @ the 87th Street Library so filling up there for free too. Probably averaging $25/month right now. When new office comes online then the cost will drop precipitously as will the yearly mileage. Did math with a guy at the office. He's spending over $2400/yr in gas only. I tried to convince him that the $200/month lease + $25 electricity makes a Leaf pay for itself compared to his old dino burner. I really hope the evse's at the new office get some of these guys off the pot and into ev's.

In contrast, wife's Prius is still chugging gas at ~$40/month.

Finally, after 3 tries. I just applied for the 100 mile club. Started at 87th and Grant (library) two days ago. Between work/home/Scouts/home/work/home, 104 miles! :mrgreen:

Attachments

• destination.jpg
    destination.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 22
Back