LEAF Navigation System - New or Old & Details

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.telematicsupdate.com/articles/carwings.pdf

Carwings includes a cradle for the DoCoMo-based cell phone,
a requirement for Carwings. When docked the unit establishes
its link for content and two-way communications and hands-
free functionality.
In terms of services Carwings is comprehensive and provides
users with a choice of content selections through its AutoDJ
content portal. AutoDJ allows users to pre-program their
telematics receiver with up to six channels ranging from traffic,
weather, sports, news and leisure information. Nissan says up to 200 channels will
eventually be available to Carwings subscribers.

http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/carwings_navigation_system_from_nissan.html

Drivers will also be able to listen to selected internet sites and blogs, through RSS feeds. Selections can be made while the car is parked, and the system will read out the selected contents once the vehicle is in motion. Sites included at this point are Yahoo, Sony’s So-net lifestyle blog and Nissan Drive Navi, a Nissan travel guide blog.

The improved navigation system has a high speed- high capacity- 30 Gig hard-disk drive, and can retain up to 3,000 songs from music CD’s. The system also uses real-time traffic data for even quicker route destination, and updates map data in approximately 20 minutes; fastest on the market.

So, may be we can surf mynissanleaf using text-to-voice. It should be interesting to hear how Dave's voice to text finally comes out :lol:

I will be surprised if the US version of a "CARWINGS" replacement system (not real CARWINGS at all) at LEAF rollout does a good job of showing where functional charge stations are, their EVSE types, and number of each type at that location.

Hopefully, they will work on getting that initial system to work with a daily-updated charge-station database.

Then, assuming they are actually installing stations that CAN report their real-time status, the "in-use", "broken", and "available" real-time status will also be displayed on our LEAF's Nav map.

So far, the only two Charge-Point stations within about 21 airline miles of me ... are two locations, each listed as having one 120v socket. Not yet really exciting.

I asked about CARWINGS in a chat with a representative and they made it seem that yes indeed the US will get the Japanese version of CARWINGS in the LEAF complete with traffic and everything else.

cdub said:
I asked about CARWINGS in a chat with a representative and they made it seem that yes indeed the US will get the Japanese version of CARWINGS in the LEAF complete with traffic and everything else.

HDD ?

cdub said:

I hope that comes with the Rosetta Stone CDs then.

EVDRIVER said:
cdub said:
I hope that comes with the Rosetta Stone CDs then.
Cool. I'll start taking Japanese lessons until I can read & understand this site.

http://drive.nissan-carwings.com/WEB/index.htm

Nissan introduced CARWINGS in Japan in 2005... it is about time it came here. Do we know if any other nissan cars in the US are planning to use CARWINGS? As it uses vehicle data, the more vehicles using it, the better.

evnow said:
cdub said:

HDD ?

According to that website, it does have HDD installed.

The Nissan Mail-out (at the bottom of the "the new fill-up" page)
has this "disturbing" statement about the NavMaps:

GPS mapping may not be detailed in all areas

So, does this mean that the USA map is incomplete, like that in the Prius?

(The 2010 PriusNav only has fully detailed coverage of selected "Regions",
in spite of having about 7 GB of data on their dual-layer NavDVD.)
This has been a continuiig frustration to those who live OUTSIDE the "Regions".

For comparison, a typical $100 hand-held "portable" GPS Nav unit usually
contains full detailed coverage (though sometimes slightly outdated)
of ALL areas of the USA, usually on about 1 GB of flash memory.

POI charging stations will be updated over air. Maps if like other nissan HHD's will be updated by purchased updates. The nav system will have a white area circling your position showing how far you can go on current battery charge. Nissan blocks most controls for nav. when moving.

garygid said:
Will these "e-fuel" POIs indicate number of "pumps", occupied/not status?

I belive they will probably use this data base for charging stations.

evauthority.com/ev-charging-stations/

there is no way I believe for them to know if they are being used or not. There was talk of being able to update to more info at later date like if they charge a fee to use and how much. My info is from a prelaunch meeting I went to a couple months ago.

Without knowing charger type(s), how many, and if they are even
operational, a charging-location database is only marginaly useful.

Most (or many) "public" EVSEs will communicate to a moitoring
program, for (potential) charging if nothing else.
So, "occupancy" information will probably be available for many,
even though it might not be properly centralized for "universal" use.

Qualcomm and ECOtality are partnered to add cellular connectivity to the charge stations:

http://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2010/07/27/qualcomm-and-ecotality-enable-electric-vehicle-charging-stations-cellular-c

Doesn't seem unreasonable that it would have real-time status.

GroundLoop said:
Qualcomm and ECOtality are partnered to add cellular connectivity to the charge stations:

http://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2010/07/27/qualcomm-and-ecotality-enable-electric-vehicle-charging-stations-cellular-c

Doesn't seem unreasonable that it would have real-time status.

thankyou, it was a good read. i did not know they were that far advanced. i know the leaf will far surpass alot of the tech on most of nissans car line right now from what i see. like acess with WAP and more.

Just ran across this.

Every Nissan LEAF comes equipped with advanced technology to make zeroemissions
driving convenient, including a navigation system with XM NavTraffic® and
a Data Control Module with access via the Internet or Web-enabled phone.

So yes it will come with XM traffic. The nav system will be better than any in nissan right now. Should still be hhd with bluetooth built in. The small antenna on rear of roof is for GPS and XM.

wgs1912 said:
Just ran across this.

Every Nissan LEAF comes equipped with advanced technology to make zeroemissions
driving convenient, including a navigation system with XM NavTraffic® and
a Data Control Module with access via the Internet or Web-enabled phone.

So yes it will come with XM traffic. The nav system will be better than any in nissan right now. Should still be hhd with bluetooth built in. The small antenna on rear of roof is for GPS and XM.

Is it true that we will have XM NavTraffic only for 30 days and then have to pay for a subscription?

Back