Leaf or Prius?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TreeStar said:
You are basing your $3/day with a payment I take it?
Purchase price +fuel+ insurance over 5 years

Here is my insurance policy premiums for a year. The LEAF is not shown but it is within a few dollars of the Honda Fit it replaced
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5KuQk2b_F-VRnljNWhJc1NqYjg/view?usp=sharing

@SageBrush

$9000 + ($15 x 60 months) + ($20 x 60 months) = $11,100 / (365 days x 5 years) = $6 per day.

Assuming $15 per month for insurance and $20 per month for electricity - which doesn't include interest.

How did you end up with $3 per day? Just curious, not being critical...

SageBrush said:
TreeStar said:
alozzy said:
It would be really nice to own a relatively reliable EV and only pay $109 insures + $20ish for "fuel" per month.
Why is your insurance so expensive ?

I pay $15 a month for 1M/300k liability
You should move to Nor Cal and be a single male driver. There's NO WAY my insurance is anywhere near that low. I could only dream of rates like that.

Even when I only had my 06 Prius on my insurance w/no tickets and no at-fault accidents, my insurance was 10x that. My insurance is with Safeco and IIRC, was about half that when I lived in the Seattle area. Haven't had time to shop around lately but when I lived in WA, I couldn't get a lower rate from anyone. It was already was a lot cheaper than my former insurance, State Farm.

(I have a minor at-fault accident now and my dad also got into a minor at-fault accident when borrowing my Prius, which has made things even higher. No tickets though.)

Better yet, move to So Cal and watch them be even higher.

I noticed on your card, you have no comprehensive and it looks like you have no collision. I don't think I can get liability that high (will need to check). Your uninsured motorists coverage is very low. Mine (for uninsured and underinsured) set to 250K per person and 500K/accident.

edit: Removed my incorrect statement of $8.10 per month per car for roadside assistance. It's $8.10 per car per year for that.

alozzy said:
How did you end up with $3 per day? Just curious, not being critical...
LEAF: $6300
Fuel: $3 a month * 60 months = $180 (DIY PV, works out to 0.5 cents a mile)
Insurance: $15 a month * 60 months = $900

All told, $7380 for 5 years

I stand corrected: $4 a day.
I'l have to hope the LEAF lasts a bit longer ;-)

cwerdna said:
I noticed on your card, you have no comprehensive and it looks like you have no collision. I don't think I can get liability that high (will need to check). Your uninsured motorists coverage is very low. Mine (for uninsured and underinsured) set to 250K per person and 500K/accident.
Right, no Collision or Comp. It is an unsung advantage of older cars with minimal total loss value.

You may not need the high liability insurance I elect; part of it depends on your assets and risk of attracting lawyers.

You make a good point about my low UI personal limit. I should think about more.

alozzy said:
I haven't driven down to the OR Coast yet, almost did it this summer. Likely will next summer.

I think the thing to do is to join the AV Network for $20 per month, so you get unlimited charging. Then, cancel after the 1st month. There might be a penalty though.

Check out plugshare.com or install the app. If you look for the orange ones, those are the QC stations. Tap/click on the icon for details on pricing.

Almost all the L2 EVSEs on the Coast are free.

AV Network... This is the first I'm hearing of this. Perfect.

QC meaning quick charge?

I have a map of the northwest called the Electric Highway Map. It shows you all the stations with distance between them. There's plenty to go places even with a short range. If you've got the patience, that is.

@SageBrush

Wow! The math makes sense, just did not expect your monthly expenses to be so low. You must either not drive much or your $/kWh for electricity is super cheap. Lucky you!

alozzy said:
@SageBrush
You must either not drive much or your $/kWh for electricity is super cheap. Lucky you!
It's hard to drive a lot in a LEAF ;-)
You are right though -- it is our second car, used mostly for in-town duties and occasionally 90 mile drives to a neighboring town. About 500 miles a month.

Our electricity is really, really cheap. My DIY installed PV works out to a lifetime cost of ~ 2.5 US cents a kWh

EV+PV is the cat's meow

SageBrush said:
alozzy said:
@SageBrush
You must either not drive much or your $/kWh for electricity is super cheap. Lucky you!
It's hard to drive a lot in a LEAF ;-)
You are right though -- it is our second car, used mostly for in-town duties and occasionally 90 mile drives to a neighboring town. About 500 miles a month.

Our electricity is really, really cheap. My DIY installed PV works out to a lifetime cost of ~ 2.5 US cents a kWh

EV+PV is the cat's meow

One of my draws to this car is the fact I just finished my degree in renewable energy technology. PV+EV = hawt.

So check this out... I've been driving by this car lot on my way to work with a bunch of Leafs (do you say Leafs or Leaves?) out front. I wasn't interested in used before, but going back on that I called them. All they do is sell EVs. Mostly Leaf, but they had a Tesla too. I shot the **** with this guy for about 45 mins. He knew his stuff. I didn't know the options on the older models and he filled me in. He actually knew about these cars unlike a dealer who just happens to have them in. 2013 with about 30,000 miles are just over $10,000. They list them as having a QC or not.

He also showed me this charging unit that does 110 or 220. I told him I was looking at a 220 for $300. He suggested the type they had instead for a better charge. $550. Juice Box?

I've strengthened my position since I said I'd finance a used one and sell my current car when I can for a fair price. Seems like a pretty decent option. He guessed I'd be paying $15-$10 /month for electricity.

If my shift starts early enough I might just drive out there instead of take the rail. It's a 40 mile round trip. Fairly flat and not all that high of speed. 55 tops. That's plenty of range to do things after work and make it home.

I called the city about why there's no charging station there. It's city property where I'd park even. It's a parking lot for a number of area attractions.

Back