Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering such things, for someone in the PNW and other cool climates, buying from the start is a less risky proposition if one hopes to keep the vehicle for years. OTOH, in warm climates...

I just got up, but I don't follow your logic. Are you saying that having to pay more for the car you lease if you want to keep it is "risky"? I'd say that going the leasing route is "Safer but more expensive - you pay for safety." "Safety" in this case being not being stuck with a car with a degrading battery.

LeftieBiker said:
Considering such things, for someone in the PNW and other cool climates, buying from the start is a less risky proposition if one hopes to keep the vehicle for years. OTOH, in warm climates...
Are you saying that having to pay more for the car you lease if you want to keep it is "risky"? I'd say that going the leasing route is "Safer but more expensive - you pay for safety." "Safety" in this case being not being stuck with a car with a degrading battery.
What you would say was precisely what I was trying to convey. :D

If someone gets a phenomenal lease deal, one ends up with a higher residual. That makes the temptation to walk away from that lease greater than sinking more into the vehicle with a pricier lease. Nissan not budging on the residual seems to be the norm in recent years.

Indeed, purchasing one's own car off-lease is safer. Most of us on these boards know what it take to treat the Leaf battery right, so it's more than a gamble if completing the lease and walking away then picking up a cheaper used Leaf on the open market.

If someone gets a phenomenal lease deal, one ends up with a higher residual.

Generally true, but with this $99/month lease, if the residual is $17.5k, then you are getting a great deal and a reasonable residual. NMAC has been fixing residuals at 33%, so we haven't been seeing the wild & crazy lease deals like my $149/month SV with Premium in 2013 (with a residual in the twenties).

LeftieBiker said:
If someone gets a phenomenal lease deal, one ends up with a higher residual.

Generally true, but with this $99/month lease, if the residual is $17.5k, then you are getting a great deal and a reasonable residual. NMAC has been fixing residuals at 33%, so we haven't been seeing the wild & crazy lease deals like my $149/month SV with Premium in 2013 (with a residual in the twenties).
Are the current lease deals unusual? I got a 36 month lease on a 2012 sv, back in 2012, for an all-in of around $215. that included everything like tax/title. I was very pleased with it. If I could do the same now on a 2020 SV I would, but my local dealer is $2000 above that ($80/mo 24 month lease). I need a car by Xmas, but I could wait. Is right around now historically a good time for the leaf lease deals?

Need this as we have a teen driving very soon and she is exactly like I was when I got my license, so I expect ungodly miles driven (not ideal for a lease, but the overage locally is also $.10/mile).

It's looking like this is a California lease offer, but I'm not sure yet. I also see no sign of it here, but I did see a $153 lease offer for an SV. This will probably be the best time to lease with some choice available; there may be better offers in November, but with fewer cars available. That's when I'll be looking, since I'd have to pay off my lease and then turn the car in...

LeftieBiker said:
It's looking like this is a California lease offer, but I'm not sure yet. I also see no sign of it here, but I did see a $153 lease offer for an SV. This will probably be the best time to lease with some choice available; there may be better offers in November, but with fewer cars available. That's when I'll be looking, since I'd have to pay off my lease and then turn the car in...

I am seeing a place in NY offering just over $100/mo with $2500 down. BUt it's a 24 and I Just realized NY does not offer $2000 credit except for a 36 month lease. I may ask the dealership what a 36 month looks like, because then the $2000 comes off the top.

I just want to get an all-in nothing but first payment of $200. Could be a tall stretch but I'm no more than $2k away from it, so maybe I get lucky.

This $99 lease offer has in the past had several other gotchas - the main one is VPP which is now only offered to people who work at certain tech companies in the Bay Area or are a Nissan affiliated employee. I have also seen additional qualifiers (either military or recent college grad - or both) tacked on as well. Very few people will actually qualify for these rates.

IF you don't qualify for all of the incentives then there is no way to get this deal. I know because I was chasing lease deals at the tail end of the 2019 inventory late last and earlier this year in the Bay Area...I ran into the same road blocks. As soon as one of the incentives was removed the dealer jacked up the lease prices.

Plus the 24 month lease does not qualify for the State incentives or many of the other local area air incentives which can add up pretty quickly.

leased my second leaf in 2017 with below details
nissan hayward, ca bay area
2017 s, 3 yr, 15k per year, vpp, loyal customer,
$2500 drive off got back thru ca rebate and 35 month $133 with tax]
residual $8500

was shopping around on labor day for leaf lease in bay area - checked sunnyvale, sanjose, hayward, fremont, gilroy
good deals are for 24 month lease
most of them are offering with similar deals $2500 down plus $2500 dmv fees, title fees etc, and $70 plus tax per month for 2020 leaf sv, 12k which comes around $6500 for 24 months

i felt paying $2500 every 2 years for dmv, title is waste of money.

got confused to keep current leaf vs return and get new leaf, any advise

Also san joaquin county clean air rebate program shows $3k rebate if we lease leaf for 3 years, is it still valid

https://www.valleyair.org/drivecleaninthesanjoaquin/rebate/

last two times i got ca rebate of $2500, looks like its not available any more,

appreciate feedback

virock said:
leased my second leaf in 2017 with below details
nissan hayward, ca bay area
2017 s, 3 yr, 15k per year, vpp, loyal customer,
$2500 drive off got back thru ca rebate and 35 month $133 with tax]
residual $8500
Your lease + residual adds up to $15.6k

If the battery is degrading at a pace you can handle and still make warranty replacement, this might be a good car to keep for a 40 kWh battery warranty replacement (with all the caveats that go along with that .)

SageBrush said:
If the battery is degrading at a pace you can handle and still make warranty replacement, this might be a good car to keep for a 40 kWh battery warranty replacement (with all the caveats that go along with that .)

1) i used level2 charger all the time and only charging overnight, that said, after two years it was showing 11 bars and dealer did some software update or some thing like that and it shows all 12 bars for the last 10 months,
2) my residual is $8500, what other costs will be added to this like dmv fee, title fee, transfer etc, in other words how much will be driveoff for this lease buy back option,
thanks for helping

I returned my 2017 leaf s after 3 years, and got new leaf , details below
dealer : nissan hayward, bay area
2020 nissan leaf sv, 3 year, 12k miles per year, vpp, nissan loyalty
$3750 drive off , $115 plus tax monthly for 35 months.

msrp is $35310

looks very good to me, please share your comments

virock said:

msrp is $35310

what's the residual?

virock said:

msrp is $35310
Your post is the answer to another thread asking why Nissan keeps up the msrp charade even though ASP is much lower.

To answer your question, my quick and easy approach to evaluating leases is atypical but I think reasonable. I first find out the good but not great selling price of the car. Then I set depreciation to 33%. The result is how much I expect a monthly lease to cost before financing and TTL, and before corrections for money down.

So E.g. say your car sells for $25k new after some shopping and depreciates 33% in 3 years (after the tax credit effect is taken into account.). 25*.33 = $8333
In your case 8,333-3750 = $4,583 spread over 35 payments works out to 4583/35 = $127 a month.

Still shopping, now for a 2020 base S (2019s finally seem extinct), and I made it inside a dealership to honor a texted quote, which of course they didn’t, so I walked. So many shady dealers I wish I could just buy online like a Tesla.

Anyway, Nissan 2020 discount is now $6000, so if anyone sees a dealer discount that gets me out the door for $26k,
Let me know.

Again, not sure where you live but in CO you can get a 2020 S for < $20k and a 2020 S+ for another $5k or so, last time I checked. That is if you qualify for all the rebates, credits, etc, etc but it's not hard to do.

That said, most of the really cheap 2020 Leaf's I see do not include the cold weather package, which I find incredible. No heated seats on an EV??? :shock:

virock said:

msrp is $35310

I got an offer from Gilroy Nissan and Burlingame Nissan about $69/month with 3999 due at signing in Aug. So, yours is not exceptionally good, it's ok.

I just realized that heated seats are not available on the 2020 S or S+ Leaf. It amazes me that Nissan would drop that feature. You need to get to an SV trim and then add the all-weather package on the 2020's. Just insane.

Back