Leaf S - weird thing I noticed today

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkallen21

I have an iphone 5s. I often plug the cable in to listen to music because Bluetooth does not work for anything but voice (at least on the S). However, by accident I discovered BT is capable of being an output device...
The iphone has a very annoying feature of auto-playing something from your library as soon as the cable is plugged in. I see no way to stop this. So when you are on the phone and plug in the cable, the call and the music are happening simultaneously. I discovered that if you start a podcast or some music with the cable plugged in (which requires the cable), then make a phone call (which uses BT), and then remove the cable, both continue to work over BT.
It's not useful because the call has to be going to keep the music playing. But the capability seems to be there somehow.

I noticed something similar my first night in my car. I had just setup my phone to connect via BT. I then setup directions in Google and the directions were being read over BT to my stereo. I then went to play a song and it worked. I haven't had it happen again, but I haven't really tried. It does seem odd.

I am sure it is because they made a very quick and dirty code patch to disable it on the S... Yes, they actually spend extra time and money to remove a feature that was already there and which cost them nothing to include on the S... Such is the automotive business!

jkallen21 said:
I have an iphone 5s. I often plug the cable in to listen to music because Bluetooth does not work for anything but voice (at least on the S). However, by accident I discovered BT is capable of being an output device...
The iphone has a very annoying feature of auto-playing something from your library as soon as the cable is plugged in. I see no way to stop this. So when you are on the phone and plug in the cable, the call and the music are happening simultaneously. I discovered that if you start a podcast or some music with the cable plugged in (which requires the cable), then make a phone call (which uses BT), and then remove the cable, both continue to work over BT.
It's not useful because the call has to be going to keep the music playing. But the capability seems to be there somehow.

TomT said:
I am sure it is because they made a very quick and dirty code patch to disable it on the S... Yes, they actually spend extra time and money to remove a feature that was already there and which cost them nothing to include on the S... Such is the automotive business!

On a similar note, I hope that within the next few years, the auto industry will figure out how to perform and provide over the air updates for much of their "Infotainment" capabilities. I understand there's some good reasons why they can't do this presently, but with proper separation from "critical" functionality, this should be easily accomplished.

Tesla already does it and Audi will start doing it next year. There may be others...

EVExtend said:
On a similar note, I hope that within the next few years, the auto industry will figure out how to perform and provide over the air updates for much of their "Infotainment" capabilities. I understand there's some good reasons why they can't do this presently, but with proper separation from "critical" functionality, this should be easily accomplished.

Back