Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo3 said:
Here is a test of two full power run on my 2011 Leaf (5 Bars lost) using the BMS custom screen and the special Recording mode that creates a .csv file of the data.

nlxoQK.png

Here is the Internal resistance for the first run.

ib8p9I.png

Resistance from second run.

EmULfP.png

Thanks for providing that graphic. Your Leaf's battery at 5 bars has significantly lost its efficiency, i.e. an average resistance of .160+ ohms.
Since the battery resistance is a function of battery temperature, what was the temperature when your test was done? The resistance
should decrease as the battery temperature increases.

Here're data from my '13 Leaf over the years, now at 75K & 48 Ahrs (-2 bars).
The last reading was confirmed with LeafSpy using the procedure I described here;
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28911&start=320#p559503

12/2 - 14.100 miles, 55 mohms per LeafDD, 28 deg, 67% SOC
12/16 - 14,500 miles, 89 mohms per LeafDD, 15 deg, 93% SOC
12/27/14 - 14,800 miles, 103 mohms per LeafDD, 11 deg, 24% SOC
3/10 - 17,400 miles, 60 mohms per LeafDD, 30 deg, 73% SOC
3/14 - 17, 550 miles, 56 mohms per LeafDD, 32 deg, 47% SOC
4/14 - 19,100 miles, 59 mohms per LeafDD, 25 deg. 38% SOC
5/4 - 19,989 miles, 64 mohms per LeafDD, 24 deg. 48% SOC
5/15 - 20,400 miles, 73 mohms per LeafDD, 20 deg. 41% SOC
5/22 - 20,700 miles, 58 mohms per LeafDD, 28 deg. 50% SOC
12/10/15 - 28,000 miles, 90 mohms per LeafDD, 19 deg. 92% SOC
4/5 - 32,000 miles, 74 mohms per LeafDD, 24 deg, 55% SOC
5/16 - 33,700 miles, 89 mohms per LeafDD, 22 deg, 47% SOC
5/16 - 33.700 miles, 58 mohms per LeafDD, 31 deg, 76% SOC
10/5 - 39,300 miles, 100 mohms per LeafDD, 22 deg, 50% SOC
10/6 - 39,400 miles, 61 mohms per LeafDD, 30 deg, 51% SOC
10/7 - 39,500 miles, 80 mohms per LeafDD, 25 deg, 56% SOC
10/15 - 40,000 miles, 71 mohms per LeafDD, 27 deg, 45% SOC
10/30 - 41,000 miles, 74 mohms per LeafDD, 23 deg, 66% SOC
12/26/16 - 43,000 miles, 110 mohms per LeafDD, 13 deg, 77% SOC
6/10/17 - 49,600 miles, 89 mohms per LeafDD, 19 deg, 70% SOC
7/1/17 - 51,000 miles, 62 mohms per LeafDD, 33 deg, 44% SOC
8/15/17 - 53,400 miles, 61 mohms per LeafDD, 35 deg, 57% SOC
4/2/18 - 62,100 miles, 110 mohms per LeafDD, 18 deg, 94% SOC
6/13/18 - 65,000 miles, 84 mohms per LeafDD, 26 deg, 52% SOC
8/13/18 - 67,000 miles, 80 mohms per LeafDD, 26 deg, 91% SOC
9/14/18 - 68,000 miles, 84 mohms per LeafDD, 27 deg, 57% SOC
10/30/18 - 70,000 miles, 93 mohms per LeafDD, 22 deg, 84% SOC
11/9/18 - 70,000 miles, 104 mohms per LeafDD, 22 deg, 89% SOC
11/30/18 - 70,400 miles, 88 mohms per LeafDD, 23 deg, 88% SOC
12/6/18 - 70,800 miles, 116 mohms per LeadDD, 13 deg, 33% SOC
1/30/19 - 72,300 miles, 86 mohms, per LeadDD, 23 deg, 45% SOC
5/29/19 - 74,476 miles, 102 mohms, per LeafDD, 19 deg, 89% SOC

themr23 said:
It would have been nice if the app was compatible for earlier users / earlier Leafs already configured, when the upgrades went out.
After finding stuff wasn't working I didn't have time until today to dig through the notes and then come to this forum for more info.
- I used to be able to record charge without having to switch safe mode (2014 SL). Can you make that flashing message on the chart be a 'button' to serve to toggle it?
- My logs changed the last 6 hex digits at the end of the Log and TripChrgLog filenames. When I went through the doc I must have missed the explanation of what that suffix is for.
- I used to be able to log my cells/trip even with the custom screen. Since it doesn't work, I deleted it now. I preferred my screen when getting very low, it showed just the essentials. Gids, Min cell voltage, max-min=maxcelldiff, temps.
- For a while it wasn't exiting after shutting off the car. Its now working at least most of the time, but still failed once after fixing the above items (today).
Thanks!
First, thanks for the feedback. It really helps.

- I am working on a new version that automatically disables Safe Mode when needed. The message at the top of the charge graph will be removed as it will not be needed.
- The last 6 hex digits come from the Android device. If you use two different Android phones to collect data and upload those file to Dropbox or a server this prevents overwriting files.
- I will probably add a feature to the custom file csv file to control full logging or Start/End Trip logging. At the moment only the BMS custom screens support logging and the log file format is unique having only the BMS data since that is all that is read from the Leaf. Enabling full logging on a custom screen could dramatically slow down the update rate as all the non-displayed data needs to be read. Not sure why you would delete your custom screen if that is what you "deleted". Can you explain why you thought it was necessary to delete it? Swiping up/down on screen 3 switches between the previous fixed screen 3 and a custom screen 3.
- Sorry, I don't understand "exiting after shutting off the car." Can you give me more details about want is happening/not happening so I can reproduce.

Hi Turbo3,

I'm a big fan of Leaf Spy, however I'm not using it as often as i would like to, as I use Apple Carplay everyday to listen to spotify and podcast etc.
And using your app in the same time is a bit annoying, as Apple Carplay only can handle one app thing at the time.

So have you considered making Leaf spy pro Apple Carplay compatible, so we can switch between apps like we switch between spotify, maps, etc?
Google Auto is probaby the same...

Still using Beta and for some reason, I now only have 2 screens; the cell voltage screen and the histogram screen. Nothing I have tried will bring back the other 2?

I'm hoping this is the right spot to ask for help. I was able to get Leaf Spy Lite to say connected. So I then I bought Leaf Spy Pro. When I opened it, it said it was made for an older version of Android and I wouldn't connect. It just kept saying ASE Bluetooth Read Error. Not sure how to fix this.

All I want to do is turn off the backup noise and make it unlock the doors when it's put in park.

Thanks!!

I wish I had been paying more attention since it looks like I missed this feature addition 2 years ago, but Turbo3, thanks for adding the VSP controls! The "I'm-a-widdle-dump-truck!" alarm has been the only really annoying thing about Leaf ownership for me, and it is now blissfully gone!

dunkinb said:
... thanks for adding the VSP controls
It's cool and one of the main reasons I bought it. But kinda thought it'd be able to get rid of all the other annoying beeping sounds the car makes (door open, seatbelts unbuckled, headlites on). As in, when I got my Subaru, I found the circuit board where the little piezo beeper thing is, and I de-soldered the sucker !

The first couple times I tried LeafSpy Pro, it warned me that it was "built for an older version of Android". Did I somehow not get the latest version from the Play Store ? LSP version is 0.45.119. Android is version 9. This is a Moto X4 under Google-Fi.

RustyShackleford said:
The first couple times I tried LeafSpy Pro, it warned me that it was "built for an older version of Android". Did I somehow not get the latest version from the Play Store ? LSP version is 0.45.119. Android is version 9. This is a Moto X4 under Google-Fi.

Mine works fine on my Pixel XL2 which has (or should have) the latest Android version available.

Would it be possible to add Android Auto support for LeafSpy Pro? The stock first gen head units are dated and suck and Android Auto/Apple CarPlay head units are pretty affordable. We can retain steering wheel controls with adapters, but those of us with SV/SLs with automatic climate control don't have an easy way to replace the head unit and retain access to charging timers and the climate control temps.

Now if there was AA/CP support, we can at least see or access those settings via an aftermarket display and remove the factory head unit completely. I'd totally pay extra for this feature.

How reliable is SOH or how should I read it?

We recently got a Leaf 2016 SL and decided to adopt Spy Leaf Pro to look at the health of the battery.

Now SOH = 85.70% but I regularly drive for 90/95 miles which to me it much more than 85%. I'll attach the screenshot as soon as I figure it out.

Is SOH not reading the battery well? Or range and SOH are not linearly correlated?

Thank you all!

DougWantsALeaf said:
21 kW x .85 = ~18 kW x 4.5 = 81 miles so seems within the realm of possibility.
You talking about kWh?

Where does the 21 come from?
HKSP1413 said:
How reliable is SOH or how should I read it?
Please see linked posts at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=537444#p537444.

Range and SOH should track fairly linearly. Range depends on a lot of factors, mostly how fast you drive. The same battery will go much farther at 35 mph than at 70 mph. Also, cold temperature, AC use, etc, etc can affect range.

85% SOH isn't great for a 2016 but it is well within the range of 'normal' depending on where the car resides and how it has been treated. Hot temperatures will increase the rate at which SOH drops, as will other factors to a lesser extent.

There is also a 'software update' that applies to the 30 kWh batteries, which I think the 2016 SL used. If that hasn't been done the SOH is less reliable that if it has. At least on my 2017 S (with a 30 kWh battery) the software update increased my indicated SOH by about 5%, which seems to agree better with the range I get from the car.

Curious about the "miles remaining" number. It seems to be based on a user-entered value for watt-hours per mile. Are we supposed to just estimate that based on looking at the efficiency graphs ? I thought the car's built-in meter actually tweaked the mails-remaining display based on observed driving behavior, which actually seems more accurate. I must be missing something.

I am concerned to expose the obd2 interface wirelessly.
Is it possible to add support for usb obd2 devices? Want to use the OBDlink SX via otg.

RustyShackleford said:
How does Leaf Spy determine SOH ?

I believe that LeafSpy simply reads the 'SOH' value from the CAN bus and reports it. Also, AFAIK, there is no official Nissan documentation available to the general public that defines exactly what SOH means although the overwhelming evidence supports the conclusion that it is the percentage of original battery capacity left.

RustyShackleford said:
Is it necessary to occasionally charge to 100% so it can see how many GIDs the battery can hold ?

Not really. SOH readings vary day to day and probably depend on temperature among other things. SOH will give a good estimate of the battery capacity and that is probably as good a measurement as you're going to get. If you want to do science experiments then charging to 100% to measure capacity might be more accurate but personally I wouldn't bother since charging to 100% often just increases the risk of extra degradation vs using smaller charging cycles.

There are some reports that say SOH goes up after L3 charging sessions. Whether this is an actual improvement in battery health or just an adjustment in the SOH reading is anyone's guess. My guess is that it's the latter.

Back