Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the new graphs. Can't wait until they make it into production.

How about adding an option to make clicking noises where the rate of the clicks tells how much friction braking you are doing. This will let people train themselves on how to brake efficiently. One of the early hardware monitors did this.

Thanks again for the awesome app.

Boomer23 said:
Let me add one more "You are awesome!" to the list.

Question/request for the brake screen: Could the scale be toggled to show kW rather than Amps, if desired? Since the LEAF energy screen displays in kW, I think that kW could be more meaningful to some of us. Also, could the screen display a resettable number for Max Regen in kW so that we can see how much regen we were able to generate under certain conditions and store that number for later review on screen? Perhaps a max power use number also.

Thanks again for your amazing work!
The data I am displaying comes from a single CAN message 0x180. It has been labeled as Motor Amps but whether that is true or not only Nissan engineers knows for sure. This is all reverse engineered by looking at traces and see how the data changes. I am assuming the units are whole amps but they also could be 0.1 KW units as the max seems to approach 800 amps on my scale which if KW would be 80 KW.

At some point I will merge in Bluetooth data coming from my WattsLeft meter which actually has Volts and Amps so power can be calculated. By overlaying that on this graph we will be able to see if it is actually power not amps in the 0x180 message.

Actually Ticktock could do that right now with his CANary.

Turbo3 said:
Do I need to check for a certain amount of space before allowing you to do logging? Or probably just show space remaining on SD card.

Do you have the reserve set to 0%? That is the only way I can explain why you still have 2.4 km to go for reserve.

Perhaps I should change the label if you select 0% to "to 0" instead of "rsrv".

I think a graceful "No room to store logs, disabling logging until more space available." message and just turn off logging would be the best solution. I would do that check at startup and any time the write file returned a "no space left". It let's the user know what they need to do and re-enables the app so they can continue to use it as just a SOC monitor.

And yes, I set it to hail-Mary do-or-die for estimate range because I knew I was going to be close and I would be eaking out the last bit of energy by the time I got to my destination. And this was even with some lowballing the speed by 10 mph (parts of I95 in MD are 65 mph so I keened it down to 55 mph to make sure I'd get there, and 50 instead of 60 on I795 in MD; I knew I'd get a charge at the halfway point on my way back so I let the car go the speed limit or higher, up to 14 mph over, on the return; alas that wasn't logged either for the reason already discussed.)

Now, may I make one out-of-left-field odd-ball request? Firstly, do the ELM327 units transmit just the CAM-Bus to the phone or all three CAM, EV and AV? If all three, can you tap the AV bus to show what information might be there, for instance playback position, and add a function where you can tap and it'll send a rewind code for say 2 seconds then play to skip back 5 seconds or so in the currently playing [Audio Book]. So much easier to get the What-did-he-say with one click than two. I didn't think so, but it doesn't hurt to ask as I read through the 41 pages of CAM bus deciphering and admire GroundLoop for discovering the GID!

TimeHorse said:
Turbo3 said:
Do I need to check for a certain amount of space before allowing you to do logging? Or probably just show space remaining on SD card.

Do you have the reserve set to 0%? That is the only way I can explain why you still have 2.4 km to go for reserve.

Perhaps I should change the label if you select 0% to "to 0" instead of "rsrv".

I think a graceful "No room to store logs, disabling logging until more space available." message and just turn off logging would be the best solution. I would do that check at startup and any time the write file returned a "no space left". It let's the user know what they need to do and re-enables the app so they can continue to use it as just a SOC monitor.

And yes, I set it to hail-Mary do-or-die for estimate range because I knew I was going to be close and I would be eaking out the last bit of energy by the time I got to my destination. And this was even with some lowballing the speed by 10 mph (parts of I95 in MD are 65 mph so I keened it down to 55 mph to make sure I'd get there, and 50 instead of 60 on I795 in MD; I knew I'd get a charge at the halfway point on my way back so I let the car go the speed limit or higher, up to 14 mph over, on the return; alas that wasn't logged either for the reason already discussed.)

Now, may I make one out-of-left-field odd-ball request? Firstly, do the ELM327 units transmit just the CAM-Bus to the phone or all three CAM, EV and AV? If all three, can you tap the AV bus to show what information might be there, for instance playback position, and add a function where you can tap and it'll send a rewind code for say 2 seconds then play to skip back 5 seconds or so in the currently playing [Audio Book]. So much easier to get the What-did-he-say with one click than two. I didn't think so, but it doesn't hurt to ask as I read through the 41 pages of CAM bus deciphering and admire GroundLoop for discovering the GID!
Just downloaded and installed a new Library to give the app the ability to read SD card status (mounted,free space) so I can handle the out of space case without crashing the app.

An ELM can only connect to one CAN and unless modified that is the CAR-CAN. But if you have a WattsLeft with Bluetooth it sends out the raw EV-CAN (including CRC check bytes) and a future version of the app could display that data too. That would be a free version of Leaf Spy Pro that connects to both the ELM and the WattsLeft. It would also provide trip/charging information even when the app is not running as WattsLeft internally collects and saves that data for the last seven events and sends it out the Bluetooth link. Things like duration of event, starting Gids, ending Gids, and Battery start and end voltages.

Update--------------

Here is the new Settings/Logging panel with SD status and free space displayed.

If you don't have at least 1 MB of free space you will not be able to enable Logging or do an ELM Trace. Those options will be grayed out.

ndkv.png

Here is what you will see if you don't have a minimum of 1 MB free.

fots.png

Turbo3 said:
The data I am displaying comes from a single CAN message 0x180. It has been labeled as Motor Amps but whether that is true or not only Nissan engineers knows for sure. This is all reverse engineered by looking at traces and see how the data changes. I am assuming the units are whole amps but they also could be 0.1 KW units as the max seems to approach 800 amps on my scale which if KW would be 80 KW.
Very good theory. I noticed that the 180 message is positive when driving in reverse while the 1DA messages are negative in this case. Both (180 & 1DA) go negative during regen. This supports your proposal that 0x180 is actually power.

my testversion 29.17 can not connect to the car,it always writes "waiting 4 ELM 00",if i use the spy lite it is working,the previous version was working until i upgradet it.

after sometimes it connects for only 10 seconds,

xado1 said:
my testversion 29.17 can not connect to the car,it always writes "waiting 4 ELM 00",if i use the spy lite it is working,the previous version was working until i upgradet it.

Send me an ELM trace so I can see what the problem is. Please check version as 0.29.17 is not the test version. Must be a higher number.

For those testing version 0.29.19 if you have trouble where it goes into the "Retry 167 xx" state I will need an ELM trace.

That state is where the app is waiting for data from the ELM/Leaf and I will need to see the data received just prior to getting into the Retry 167 state in order to identify the problem. Best to take two or three traces so I can better see the problem pattern.

Also best to unplug/replug ELM when you get in the Retry 167 state before taking another ELM Trace.

just a minute,i sit in a bar with my single malt whisky and a cigarr,i have do go outside,its cold outside,lol.
i send u the trace by email

On my Kyocera eVent phone, the LEAF Spy Lite version nn.15
connects to the dongle just fine, both before and after trying
Pro version nn.19 (presumably beta), which has the same MAC
selected, but does not connect to the ELM, and just shows
"wait 4 elm 1" as I recall.

I tried having page 5 set as last-used, and page 4,
but both with the same result.

Alan was having similar problems.
Cheers Jim, from Gary and family

garygid said:

If you can take an ELM Trace that would be great. From the trace Allen sent me I have an idea of the problem and it has nothing to do with the new brake screen. There was another change I added in connection start up.

Allen said he got his ELM from you. So can I assume you both are using the same brand ELM? Can you send me a link to where you bought it?

I can send you a special version of Leaf Spy Lite that collects more data in the ELM Trace and also has a potential fix. This version has the same start up change as Leaf Spy Pro so if it works or at least gets to the 167 state that would be progress. I will send it to the same email you used to buy Leaf Spy Pro.

xado1 said:

I get that occasionally. I log out of the app and unplug the dongle for a few seconds and that clears it up

i tried to disconnect the dongle,but it doesn't help,sometimes it connects for a minute.

turbo 3 is working on it,and as far as i believe,he is a genius

garygid said:

Gary do you have a laptop with Bluetooth you can use to manually test your ELM with a terminal emulator like HyperTem? If so try the following sequence and post results.

Type the AT commands within the quotes.
1. "AT Z" (to reset ELM)
2. "AT PPS" (to have ELM dump the internal parameters)
3. "AT I" (just to check if the ELM still responds)

Anyone else who experiences a hang at Wait 4 ELM 1 is also encouraged to do the same.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Turbo3 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
since the last update both my ahr and health have stayed the same. not sure if i should be concerned about a possible bug or be happy that my pack has reached a point of stability for the first time since i got the app?
To address this concern and insure we are always looking at fresh data I am adding a change to the code.

When first connecting to the Leaf (reading VIN) the app will now clear to zero AHr, SOH, SOC and Hx. So when you see a non-zero value you will know it was just read from the Leaf and is not old saved data.

ok hate to beat a dead horse (unless I am hungry and there is no cow around...) but I did finally see changes in the ahr and health readings. they bounced around a few days and now its stuck on 57.11 ahr and 74.18 health for the past several days.

i even update SW this morning to the latest and still no change. its been static for like 5-6 days now

so wondering; is anyone else seeing steady readings like this? because before I was seeing changes nearly every time i powered up the car.

After we had our severe cold snap and ice storm and temps stayed in the 10's, 20's, and 30's, my car's readings remained exactly the same for about a week. Once our temps came back up to normal, 50's - 60's, I started re-seeing battery losses. I attributed the week of stability to the week or so of low temps.

Just got the Kindle Fire HD and installed latest Leaf Spy Pro.

Even the Motor Amps? (Power?) and Accelerator screen works although I only sat in the car and pressed the accelerator to get the graph.

At this point all five of the android devices I have tried work with the new Braking/Amps/Accelerator screens. So its starting to look like the difference in ELMs might be the problem.

vg4q.png

768q.png

y4p4.png

More success with the Kindle running Leaf Spy Pro.

Turned on Logging with GPS and nothing bad happened. Logging worked fine just no GPS data and the new background logging worked too. I was able to go to the folder and watch the size of the .csv file grow and even open it with their version of excel and see what was there all while continuing to add to the file.

The only issue I have is that on their main screen they just show the icons (large icons) without any text and since Leaf Spy has the same icon for all three versions you can't tell which one you are opening. For most people that would not be a problem but I have all three installed.

Back