Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using the Leaf Spy Pro app for about a year and love it, especially being able to reprogram my TPMS when changing form winter to summer tires. (I have sensors in my winter wheels) However, I've stopped using it on a regular basis cause the app now keeps my Kyocera phone awake all the time so the battery is always dead. I have a 2014 and the app used to be unable to get data from the car when it was off. It looks like at a certain point, the app was upgraded to now be able to continue to get data from the car and therefore will never let the phone go to sleep. I don't care to have a log of the charging sessions every night so I'd love to be able to disable this "feature".

Also, while I'm at it, I'd like the app to always default to "day" mode. I always leave my lights on and because of this the apps always goes to night mode and I have to switch it back to day mode every time I turn the car on.

muus said:
I've been using the Leaf Spy Pro app for about a year and love it, especially being able to reprogram my TPMS when changing form winter to summer tires. (I have sensors in my winter wheels) However, I've stopped using it on a regular basis cause the app now keeps my Kyocera phone awake all the time so the battery is always dead. I have a 2014 and the app used to be unable to get data from the car when it was off. It looks like at a certain point, the app was upgraded to now be able to continue to get data from the car and therefore will never let the phone go to sleep. I don't care to have a log of the charging sessions every night so I'd love to be able to disable this "feature".

Also, while I'm at it, I'd like the app to always default to "day" mode. I always leave my lights on and because of this the apps always goes to night mode and I have to switch it back to day mode every time I turn the car on.
You are correct the newer versions of LeafSpy can stay connected to the 2013+ Leaf even when the Leaf is off. This change was required to allow logging of the charge cycle. I will see about adding an option to disable this feature and also one to force daylight mode even with the lights on.

I too have relegated LEAF Spy Pro to the unused Droid XT875 and am very pleased with the display. I do have a couple of questions: While the Logger is now set to use the SD card the Leaf_Bt_Can folder on the device is where the log goes. Should I delete/move this to the SD card? I have a Leaf_Bt_Can folder on the SD but it isn't getting updated.
The other question is more Android related; How can I use QuickOffice to view the .cvs files. When I go to the Leaf_Bt_Can folder and access the Log folder I am told there are no files but the Files app says there are!

Edit: Couple of other questions: When I select the Service Screen it works that one time, but when I close LeafSpyPro and open it again it is no longer enabled. Is that the way it is supposed to work? I have 6 DTC codes and wonder what they mean. Is there a link to a place that describes the DTCs? I have two different types B29C1 and P3162,70,71. Also, there is Reset on screen 4, what does it reset?

Edit 2: Found the Wiki http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/?title=Leaf_Battery_Application" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which answered the reset question.

Thanks

Edit 3: Turbo3 thanks for the pictures of the SD Card setup, could not replicate on my Moto Droid XT875 OS but concluded I really didn't need anything more than the internal virtual SD. After all, the available 7GB of internal memory should last a long while. Did figure out an answer to my inability to read the .csv (cvs) files using QuickOffice. Apparently it doesn't read .CSV files just MS EXCEL .xls nor does it read files on external memory.
I found an app called CSV Viewer that is small and does the job.

Leaf Spy Pro is hard at work grabbing data every day.

Turbo3 said:
... I will see about adding an option to ... to force daylight mode even with the lights on.
I like that idea too because I run the lights all the time too for safety because Nissan is deficient in not providing Daytime Running Lights on all their vehicles.
I drive more in the day than at night so it would be convenient to be able to default to day mode.
But will still need the screen 4 ability to switch to night mode when driving at night.

A minor feature request: reset the energy count (wH used) automatically when finding the car fully charged. It's always the first thing I do when starting the car each day after charging at work.

Agkirk said:
I too have relegated LEAF Spy Pro to the unused Droid XT875 and am very pleased with the display. I do have a couple of questions: While the Logger is now set to use the SD card the Leaf_Bt_Can folder on the device is where the log goes. Should I delete/move this to the SD card? I have a Leaf_Bt_Can folder on the SD but it isn't getting updated.
The other question is more Android related; How can I use QuickOffice to view the .cvs files. When I go to the Leaf_Bt_Can folder and access the Log folder I am told there are no files but the Files app says there are!

Edit: Couple of other questions: When I select the Service Screen it works that one time, but when I close LeafSpyPro and open it again it is no longer enabled. Is that the way it is supposed to work? I have 6 DTC codes and wonder what they mean. Is there a link to a place that describes the DTCs? I have two different types B29C1 and P3162,70,71. Also, there is Reset on screen 4, what does it reset?

Edit 2: Found the Wiki http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/?title=Leaf_Battery_Application" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which answered the reset question.

Thanks
LeafSpy always writes to the "SD Card". This can be a real SD Card or a virtual SD Card using phone internal memory. So your question is really an Android OS question.

If you have no SD Card then the virtual SD Card will be used. If you have an SD Card you have a choice of which one. On my Kyocera it automatically switched to using the SD Card when I installed it. Sounds like your phone did not automatically switch.

Here is the notification pull down after I installed the SD Card. If gives instructions on how to change the storage option.
SxhqnU.png

To see which one is being used go to Settings/Storage and look at "Select Primary Storage".
fW0QNv.png

Here is the menu to change which is used:
RRznzg.png

If you want to keep your old data when switching from Phone memory to a real SD Card then yes copy over all the files.

Since you could accidentally reset/change things in the Service screen it defaults to being disabled each time you start the app.

You will need to get a copy of the Leaf Service manual to lookup the cause of the DTC codes. The B29C1 means the Leaf did not like something it saw from the EVSE.

TimLee said:
Turbo3 said:
... I will see about adding an option to ... to force daylight mode even with the lights on.
I like that idea too because I run the lights all the time too for safety because Nissan is deficient in not providing Daytime Running Lights on all their vehicles.
I drive more in the day than at night so it would be convenient to be able to default to day mode.
But will still need the screen 4 ability to switch to night mode when driving at night.
What I think I will implement is an option to not look at the Headlight switch (code will actually run a little faster due to skipping this read). So it will be up to the user to switch between Day/Night mode. Default is Day mode on app startup but there is already an option to default to night on startup.

I just purchased the IOS version and should get my OBDII adapter tomorrow with the extension cable next week.
Looking at the wiki info, I understand the importance of data taken over time. Is there any reason why you would take data while driving vs. being parked vs. being charged?
I would rather not keep connected if not taking a reading unless driving info had some purpose.

mjblazin said:
Is there any reason why you would take data while driving vs. being parked vs. being charged?
I would rather not keep connected if not taking a reading unless driving info had some purpose.

The LeafSpy provides a lot of useful real time data, e.g. kW/HP being used or actual regen power.
As you use LeafSpy, you'll discover a wealth of data for all needs imagined and some you haven't
thought of yet.

I received the adapter and it looks to be working. I wasted time following the Bluetooth procedures when I had a WiFi adapter. No surprises on car health yet. I will wait to get my extension cable tomorrow before spending more time with it. I do not like it sticking out below dash with me in driver's seat.

I have T-Mobile on my phone and use its WiFi calling feature, normally leaving it activated. I noticed the WiFi connection confused my e-mail but did not try a phone call. Has anyone with similar phone capability seen any issue? Once I get my extension, I will be more comfortable doing tests.

I also saw the tire pressure reports were not on screen. I got the temp reads, but the alternating read outs show 4 N/A for the tire pressure screen. It might be a set up item I have check on tomorrow.

jlv said:
A minor feature request: reset the energy count (Wh used) automatically when finding the car fully charged. It's always the first thing I do when starting the car each day after charging at work.
I also find that the trip counters (distance, time, and average mi/kWh) reset every time I turn the car off and on again. A second minor feature request would be for them to not reset if the car has been off for a short period of time. This woould allow the counters to a whole trip, not every hop of a trip. E.g., going to one store, then another, then another, and then back home.

For instance, my Passat has two sets of trip counters (mpg, dist, time): one that needs to be manually reset and a transient one. The transient one only resets when the car has been off for 30 minutes. (I really wish the LEAF did this itself).

mjblazin said:
I received the adapter and it looks to be working. I wasted time following the Bluetooth procedures when I had a WiFi adapter. No surprises on car health yet. I will wait to get my extension cable tomorrow before spending more time with it. I do not like it sticking out below dash with me in driver's seat.

I have T-Mobile on my phone and use its WiFi calling feature, normally leaving it activated. I noticed the WiFi connection confused my e-mail but did not try a phone call. Has anyone with similar phone capability seen any issue? Once I get my extension, I will be more comfortable doing tests.

I also saw the tire pressure reports were not on screen. I got the temp reads, but the alternating read outs show 4 N/A for the tire pressure screen. It might be a set up item I have check on tomorrow.
The tire pressures will not be updated until the tires have rotated a few hundred feet. To save battery power the TPMS in each wheel goes into low power mode and stops sending data when the tires are not rotating.

jlv said:
jlv said:
A minor feature request: reset the energy count (Wh used) automatically when finding the car fully charged. It's always the first thing I do when starting the car each day after charging at work.
I also find that the trip counters (distance, time, and average mi/kWh) reset every time I turn the car off and on again. A second minor feature request would be for them to not reset if the car has been off for a short period of time. This woould allow the counters to a whole trip, not every hop of a trip. E.g., going to one store, then another, then another, and then back home.

For instance, my Passat has two sets of trip counters (mpg, dist, time): one that needs to be manually reset and a transient one. The transient one only resets when the car has been off for 30 minutes. (I really wish the LEAF did this itself).
This feature is already available on the current test version of LeafSpy Pro.

There is a second set of "Charge"counters that get reset when a previous charge has been detected or can be reset by the user at any time. The original request was to keep track of the miles and efficiency since the last charge but you can also reset by doing a long tap on the field.

jlv said:
A minor feature request: reset the energy count (wH used) automatically when finding the car fully charged. It's always the first thing I do when starting the car each day after charging at work.

request to the request; make it an option in settings. I prefer manual resets so I can see what charge was taken.

I did verify that WiFi connection to OBDII adapter does not befuddle the iPhone6 on T-Mobile set up for WiFi Calling. I did some sample calls while connected via steering wheel controls and had no problems.

I do like the tire pressure monitors. I never bothered before to ensure tires had same pressure within a narrow tolerance band. As the days get hotter in TX, I am also getting a better feel of the benefits, it looks to be about six degrees, from being in shaded, non temp controlled, garage. I am not quite sure how the battery stays cooler. It would probably reach ambient if temperature stayed high long enough. Hopefully that latency is the better part of a day. Is the battery insulated or just a hunk of metal? I expect insulation would likely cause it to retain heat generated internally, probably not a good thing.

Hello, I have a Leaf 2015 and my gids always starts at 292 when fully charged. Leaf Spy shows this as 103.9%, is there a way to tell it to show 292 = 100% instead? I did some logging on a recent travel and I realize that % from dashboard, SOC and GIDs are all different but dashboard% and GIDs% seems to be closely related (except when above 90%):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X0MH8OhHQEpxW1YsqeS012slCHOQsY4kZW71X7jRGM4/edit?usp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

manu said:
Hello, I have a Leaf 2015 and my gids always starts at 292 when fully charged. Leaf Spy shows this as 103.9%, is there a way to tell it to show 292 = 100% instead? I did some logging on a recent travel and I realize that % from dashboard, SOC and GIDs are all different but dashboard% and GIDs% seems to be closely related (except when above 90%):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X0MH8OhHQEpxW1YsqeS012slCHOQsY4kZW71X7jRGM4/edit?usp=sharing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The next release of LeafSpy Pro will include the option in Settings/Battery to set the maximum Gids of a fully charged new Leaf Battery. Previously the was hardcoded as 281 but Nissan is now allowing higher charge levels as seen on newer Leafs. The settable range is 281 to 300 Gids.

Zh5PBA.png
7jpD0p.png

This is wonderful, I can't wait to get the next release. I can't say enough how your software helped me to get the most of my Leaf. The best 19$ I spent. Another feature I wanted is automatic save to Dropbox and I see it's also scheduled for the next version. Wonderful.

There is another feature you could think maybe for another future release. I'm leasing my Leaf and I realize that I'm close to put more mileage on it than I am allocated. Since LeafSpy knows the current mileage it would be easy to have an indicator telling me how much mileage is over or under what is allocated per day. I already created a small spreadsheet for that but of course I have to manually input the current mileage.

questions questions questions :)

What is "Braking" in the settings? What does that do?

How do I grab a screen shot of my cell voltages to upload here? Do I just use the Android OS to make the shots or is there some Leafspy specific method I'm not seeing instructions for?

dhanson865 said:
...What is "Braking" in the settings? What does that do?

How do I grab a screen shot of my cell voltages to upload here? Do I just use the Android OS to make the shots or is there some Leafspy specific method I'm not seeing instructions for?
Screen 5 can display graph of braking kW and motor kW. (Nice feature but haven't used it much)

Yes use Android OS to do screen capture.
Varies by Android version and phone.
There is some discussion of it earlier in this topic.

Edit correction.

Back