Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! Worked great on my LSP enhanced Moto Droid Bionic XT875 running Android 4.4.2. Doesn't seem to work on the Samsung S5, I'll have to do a little more looking or get thinner fingers;)

Agkirk said:
Thanks! Worked great on my LSP enhanced Moto Droid Bionic XT875 running Android 4.4.2. Doesn't seem to work on the Samsung S5, I'll have to do a little more looking or get thinner fingers;)

The S5 is an oddball and doesn't use power / volume down it uses power / home instead. (Simultaneously press the power button and the home button)

Thanks, that worked great! The screen shot method is a great way to archive DTC activity. I'm liking the LSP more and more.

iPhone 6, bought Leaf Spy Pro which worked great for a couple of weeks and then all of a sudden stopped working. Only the Red led comes on on the OBD wifi , and I can connect via WIFI, but nothing is captured by the Leaf Spy Pro app. Very strange. Anyone else run into this? Could it be something with iOS 9.02 or 9.1? Seems that it started to fail after these updates.

victorcab said:
iPhone 6, bought Leaf Spy Pro which worked great for a couple of weeks and then all of a sudden stopped working. Only the Red led comes on on the OBD wifi , and I can connect via WIFI, but nothing is captured by the Leaf Spy Pro app. Very strange. Anyone else run into this? Could it be something with iOS 9.02 or 9.1? Seems that it started to fail after these updates.
This question should be in the iOS thread. Be sure you have registered the WiFi OBDII SSID on the LeafSpy Settings page so LeafSpy knows that SSID is associated with the WiFi adapter in the Leaf.

I've tried 3 different phones and all 3 of them are getting this error ([BtS] read failed, socket might closed or timeout) trying to connect to my ELM.

Is there a solution that works, is this error related to the Bluetooth fob or just a software bug?

jmurtagh13 said:
I've tried 3 different phones and all 3 of them are getting this error ([BtS] read failed, socket might closed or timeout) trying to connect to my ELM.

Is there a solution that works, is this error related to the Bluetooth fob or just a software bug?
Did you try all three Bluetooth ports (1, 16 and Secure). Go to LeafSpy's Settings/System panel. Once you change the port exit and restart app.

The error means the app is not able to connected to the Bluetooth port so the port open request fails.

This error will also occur if you did not select the Bluetooth adapter from within LeafSpy.

Where to buy the thingy that plugs Into the car? I bought the leaf spy app for iPhone but can't find info on where to buy the adapter.

Jav said:
Where to buy the thingy that plugs Into the car? I bought the leaf spy app for iPhone but can't find info on where to buy the adapter.
Link to what the app developer Turbo3 uses:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=18917&p=429802#p429802.
Try Amazon.

Can someone please kindly describe which of these values are read directly from the Leaf or calculated or link to where it is discussed? I did search through this topic and other related topics but couldn't find a place where all of them listed and explained. I believe I have an idea, but would like to hear it from the experts.

AHr
SOH
Hx
GIDS

Also, what is the consensus about GID reading of a degraded pack on a full charge/normal temp whose BMS was reset and historical capacity loss data is erased? Will it initially read 281 and gradually decrease over time while the BMS re-learns the true capacity, or will it show the number corresponding to the actual energy stored whatever it might be?

TimLee said:
Jav said:
Link to what the app developer Turbo3 uses:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=18917&p=429802#p429802.
Try Amazon.

I just bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R4R1VUU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00, which works just fine. It has an on/off button on it so you can leave it plugged in but not draw power when you're not using it.

OH! But be forewarned that it says not for iOS on it. So it might not be helpful at all for you. Sorry. :roll:

The Android version of LeafSpy supports both WiFi and Bluetooth OBDII adapters.

The iOS version of LeafSpy supports only the WiFi OBDII adapter. iOS does not support the cheap Bluetooth OBDII adapters unless you have jail-broken your iOS device.

Jim (turbo3),

We took our first extended trip using Leaf Spy Pro. The data collected from it and from the dash display raises a number of questions.

1. Good match between kWh calculated from Gids used and from dash display of SOC.
2. Poor match between Leaf Spy kWh and that calculated from Gids and dash display of SOC.
3. Poor match between EVTripPlanner and calculated consumption.

I'll write this up for my web site, but before I do I thought I'd raise these observations here. Unfortunately, I don't have all the "log" files due to my fumbling when I got to some of our destinations.

Importantly, it seems that EVTripPlanner severely underestimated the energy needed on the long leg.

My question: Is the kWh calculated from the Gids used "more" correct than that calculated by Leaf Spy? Seems to be the case as it fits with that calculated from the SOC dash display.

RTEmagicC_Bakersfield_to_Grover_Beach_via_Paso_Robles.jpg.jpg

The "kWh used" value shown by LeafSpy is based on the Leaf internal SOC value and how it changes while you drive. You are seeing the differences between how Gids change versus how the internal SOC value changes while you drive and use energy. The internal SOC value has a resolution of 1 in 1,000,000 so it allows you to see very small changes in SOC while you drive.

Hiya Turbo3, and hats off for a very well done family of apps!
I've been using Pro (with Galaxy s5) for about a year with my leased 2013 LEAF S.
I'm looking to buy a 2016 SV and would love to look at the battery health, but Leaf Spy Pro doesn't seem to support the 30kWh config.

Is that in the works?

Alternately, when I have a 2016 (current ETA for delivery is the first week in Dec) is there anything I can do to help you expand the app to support it? (I'm a software engineer with close to 30 years experience)

RobCuthbertson said:
Hiya Turbo3, and hats off for a very well done family of apps!
I've been using Pro (with Galaxy s5) for about a year with my leased 2013 LEAF S.
I'm looking to buy a 2016 SV and would love to look at the battery health, but Leaf Spy Pro doesn't seem to support the 30kWh config.

Is that in the works?

Alternately, when I have a 2016 (current ETA for delivery is the first week in Dec) is there anything I can do to help you expand the app to support it? (I'm a software engineer with close to 30 years experience)

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=20924 2016 30 kWh Battery data and Leafspy info there.

Back