Leaf Startup Sounds From Engine Compartment

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandrewk

Only been a Leaf owner for about seven weeks, so still suffering from new owner hyper-paranoia. I think this is normal, but want to make sure:

The weather around here hasn't been warm enough to use the climate control much, or at all. This morning my wife made a Costco run and ran the AC, and left the AC on when she returned and parked in our garage. When starting it up later, the Leaf was no longer silent. Definite fan noise (made seemingly louder being in enclosed garage), and opening up the hood I could tell the radiator fan was whirring away. Turning the Leaf off and on, the fan started up again. After a couple of minutes, it did turn off, so I assume it's on a timer. The only noise then is the barely detectable "humm" (Leaf was still on), the same humm I can hear when the Leaf is charging.

Normal? Does the fan by the radiator always engage when the AC is on?

Yes the A/C triggers a loud fan which does not shut off until a few minutes after the A/C is shut off. With that fan running the Leaf almost sounds as loud as a small gas engine car especially in an enclosed area. The compressor also makes noise (sounds like a large fridge) and that sound will vary as the Leaf can speed up or slow down the compressor as more/less cooling is needed.

The other hum you refer to is the inverter coolant pump which, as you say, is rather quiet compared to the fan. That one is always on with the car, and while charging.

SierraQ said:
Yes the A/C triggers a loud fan which does not shut off until a few minutes after the A/C is shut off. With that fan running the Leaf almost sounds as loud as a small gas engine car especially in an enclosed area. The compressor also makes noise (sounds like a large fridge) and that sound will vary as the Leaf can speed up or slow down the compressor as more/less cooling is needed.

The other hum you refer to is the inverter coolant pump which, as you say, is rather quiet compared to the fan. That one is always on with the car, and while charging.

Thanks SO much for this! It's exactly as I thought, but... as I said, new car owner paranoia forced me to verify it. Being used to total silence at startup, it was a bit alarming until I determined the source. Indeed, it did sound almost as loud as a small ICE starting up.

Also... While there is not liquid cooling for the battery, there IS for the onboard charger. When charging, you may here the hum of the coolant pump for the charger.

yes and seems to only happen to me when CC is left on which is something i never do but she almost always does. the thing that is most shocking is how loud the fan was. first time it happened to me, i freaked out thinking it was some sort of major malfunction. i shut it down ASAP. popped the hood, wiggled all kinds of stuff (knew that it would not help but made me feel better) and then after a while, started it back up with A/C off and it was fine...

obtw, it does it when heat fan is left on too but not all the time. just every once in a while

We have a two car garage, but the other space was filled. There is a half wall in front of the Leaf, and the garage door was closed. Thus, it's a tightly enclosed place. The noise of that fan turning on with the car was pretty shocking! ;)

Makes sense that the fan would run. For AC condenser coils to be effective they need air moving over them. If you're not rolling, then the fan has to do the job or you wouldn't get very good cooling.

Back