Leaf to home and new Chademo plug pictures

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are very recent pictures it is surprising that charger presented is same like in current cars. Wonder if different company will be used for 6.6 kWh or maybe no upgrade for 2013.

EdmondLeaf said:
Those are very recent pictures it is surprising that charger presented is same like in current cars. Wonder if different company will be used for 6.6 kWh or maybe no upgrade for 2013.
Nichicon, the company that makes the current 3.3kW charging unit, did not get the contract for the 6.6kW solution planned for North America 2013. It'll be someone else.

Very, very nice plug/handle design. Nissan, please put a Quick Charger with this type of plug at your largest, most prominent, well located dealerships across N. America. Or, better yet, all of your Leaf certified dealers. It would go a long way towards reducing range anxiety and making the car even more practical than it already is.

garygid said:
Are two handles (for two hands) really necessary?

Perhaps easier for some people to use.

Notice white hose-handle near the middle of the cable.
I assume the idea is to support the cord during insertion to reduce the amount of force require to pull in the connector. Perhaps the hose handle is provided as a reminder and provides a cleaner place to hold the cable (since it has flanges that will keep it from lying flat on the ground).

JeremyW said:
GRA said:
EdmondLeaf said:
The CHaDeMo handle looks like a much better design.

That's the Sumitomo one. Beautiful. :)

Jeremy

I am so happy that I spec'd my charger with this plug.

http://global-sei.com/sn/2011/403/6b.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

6b-1.jpg

when and where can we get one of these units. storm season is coming and I would love to use this for my backup source at times. any info anyone?

mksE55 said:
when and where can we get one of these units. storm season is coming and I would love to use this for my backup source at times. any info anyone?
I agree it looks attractive. It appears they may only be available in Japan at first.

I've been wondering if Nissan offers a modified LEAF warranty when you purchase a LEAF to Home.
Here is the wording found on page 9 in the LEAF warranty booklet :
2011 LEAF Warranty Information Booklet said:
WHAT IS NOT COVERED
GENERAL EXCLUSIONS

This warranty does not cover damage, failure, or corrosion resulting from, or caused by:
- Failure to operate the vehicle in accordance with the OWNER'S MANUAL.
- Misuse, such as overloading, using the vehicle to tow, driving over curbs, or using the vehicle as a power source.

NYLEAF said:
Very, very nice plug/handle design. Nissan, please put a Quick Charger with this type of plug at your largest, most prominent, well located dealerships across N. America. Or, better yet, all of your Leaf certified dealers. It would go a long way towards reducing range anxiety and making the car even more practical than it already is.

According to Mark Perry (from his fairly recent webcast), Nissan is planning on installing this less than $10K QC at all of the Nissan LEAF's dealers.

LEAFfan said:
NYLEAF said:

According to Mark Perry (from his fairly recent webcast), Nissan is planning on installing this less than $10K QC at all of the Nissan LEAF's dealers.
Accessible 24/7?

LEAFfan said:
1:03
Comment From EK
What is the status on the affordable Nissan-branded DC Quick Charge stations? Are there any plans to roll out these DC Quick Charge stations to Nissan dealerships that are located near major interstate highways?

1:04
Mark Perry: DC fast charging is coming very soon. We are finalizing specifications and hope to start sales this Spring
I do not see that Mark Perry mentioned Nissan dealers here

EdmondLeaf said:
1:04
Mark Perry: DC fast charging is coming very soon. We are finalizing specifications and hope to start sales this Spring...
I do not see that Mark Perry mentioned Nissan dealers here

Just wishful thinking. Many dealers specifically will NOT want them. They're in business to sell cars at $100's to $1000's margin per transaction, and then soak you for service and the manufacturer for warrantee claims.

Giving away / selling as a loss leader really expensive electricity (at least in most of California) won't be smart, when they sell plenty of cars without it. VERY few extra sales would result from such a venture (particularly if every dealer has it), and those demand fees are the gift that keeps on giving, whether you use it or not.

TonyWilliams said:
...Giving away / selling as a loss leader really expensive electricity (at least in most of California) won't be smart, when they sell plenty of cars without it. VERY few extra sales would result from such a venture (particularly if every dealer has it), and those demand fees are the gift that keeps on giving, whether you use it or not.

High demand fees for DCs are a regulatory and political failure, largely restricted to Southern California.

I don't believe demand fees are a significant problem in most of California, the Northern two thirds.

PG&E has small business rates (A1, A6) with demand charges only above 200kW.

http://www.pge.com/tariffs/ERS.SHTML#ERS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pacificorp has demand fees starting at 20 kW, but not very high for 1 or 2 ~50 kW charger equipped sites, which is probably all that will be required, for many years, in that sparsely populated region.

The municipal utility's demand fees vary widely.

See map at:

http://www.energy.ca.gov/2007_energypolicy/documents/2007-05-15_workshop/presentations/Electric%20Utility%20Service%20Areas%205-10-07.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, if demand fees aren't part of the equation, and Nissan "gives" the DC charger to the dealer, then it costs the same per charge as L2. Just a bunch more money for install; just a one time expense.

I could see dealers going for that.

I was the "EK" that asked that particular question in the web chat, so I specifically remember that Mark Perry did not mention anything about Nissan dealers, even though I specifically asked. My guess is that it will happen, eventually. The sooner the better...the more Chademo on the ground, the less of a reason for SAE Combo to exist! :)

edatoakrun said:
PG&E has small business rates (A1, A6) with demand charges only above 200kW.

http://www.pge.com/tariffs/ERS.SHTML#ERS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Um... yes, but A-1 rate has a summer kWh charge over 20 cents/kWh. Many businesses below 200kW might opt for the demand-metered rate as a cheaper alternative.

Back