LEAF Wind-Shear!!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IowaShocker

OK...last night when I was driving home from work, I "think" I experienced "wind shear" for the first time since owning my LEAF. I could not quite figure out what was going on, but I was on the interstate going about 55mph, and the wind was gusting up to 30mph coming in from the rear/left side of the vehicle. Once I hit a higher profile spot that was not blocked by buildings/trees, the LEAF started to "bounce"...almost like there were little bumps in the road. But I take this route every day, and know the road is quite smooth at this spot. When I slowed down at the exit, the bouncing stopped, and did not experience this effect for the rest of the trip home.

My conclusion? When high winds attack the LEAF at the precise angle at a certain speed, it bounces!!!!

Anyone else experience this effect?

Ken

Interesting thoughts. I've been trying to consider how the wind could have affected the Leaf in this way and it seems that a "bounce" from the wind could only happen if you were getting lift somehow (i.e. the car acting like a wing). This is a pretty heavy car so it would take quite a bit of lift to become noticeable I would think. I find it hard to imagine this happening as a result of an offset tailwind as you describe.

Will be interested to see if you experience this "bounce" again - if so the first thing I'd check is wheel balance. I know I've felt something like that when one or more wheel has lost a weight or otherwise gone out of balance.

Yes, will be going home the same way today, and we have light winds today. So will be curious to see what happens. Will keep you posted!

I've driven Dodge Neon and Saturn L100 in Iowa and noticed the wind. I can't imagine not noticing the heavy wind in any vehicle

dhanson865 said:
I've driven Dodge Neon and Saturn L100 in Iowa and noticed the wind. I can't imagine not noticing the heavy wind in any vehicle

But would you describe the effect as a '"bounce"...almost like there were little bumps in the road'?

I've driven in some mighty strong cross winds in different vehicles, never felt a bounce as a result....

This past summer in Phoenix we had some bad storms. I was caught in what must have been a micro-burst while driving my LEAF. There were trees blowing across the road... Trees!!! :shock: The LEAF stayed planted to the road well. It did get blown a bit side to side as should be expected but I able able to still drive and thankfully not be hit by a tree crossing the road. I thought it did quite well considering the extraordinary circumstances.

UPDATE on my "wind-shear" issue! So, I drove home on the same exact route I did the day before when I experienced high winds that may have contributed to my LEAF bouncing issue.

With that thought, I experienced the exact same bouncing issue, at the same spot (about 1/2 mile of interstate), along with very low winds. I did not experience the bouncing issue at any other point on my 16 mile commute.

CONCLUSION; Apparently this short stretch of I-235 must have ripples in the concrete to cause this effect. Its all I got!!!

Back