LeafDD - Dash Display for Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adspguy said:
ampitupco said:
Should I be concerned that my "H" number has been dropping like a stone? When I first plugged the LeafDD in on Jun 18, it displayed around 94.3. It has been steadily decreasing since and today it reads 91.89. Have I lost 2% of my battery capacity in the last few weeks alone?

Does the H number ever go up?
Check the health vs capacity thread. I posted some plots of the roller coaster ride that the health and cap numbers for my 2012. Up and down up and down.
Can you post a link for that Thread? My Leaf arrived in Dec 2011 so I'm approaching 2 years and while I still show 12 bars on a full charge, I only get a 94% from LeafDD and my Health is an 85.

Hello,
I am very interested in getting one of these before I go in for the latest update.
What's the availability ?

Thanks

Don

ON EDIT: Got my Leaf DD today (7/27) and it works fine. Now I have to document some 100% charges before I let Nissan re-program my Leaf.

bowthom said:
Hello,
I am very interested in getting one of these before I go in for the latest update.
What's the availability ?

Thanks

Don
Right now out of stock until we get more of the OLED displays in stock. I have units backordered with the factory due in two weeks although in a pinch it seems I can get them now at Digikey for an $8 premium. In the meantime you can e-mail me directly at [email protected] and I'll get you in the queue.

Just got my LeafDD! :)

Thanks Greg!

leafdd.jpg

My LeafDD has turned out to be my favorite Gid monitoring tool and the one I leaf in my LEAF. Beats out the original Gid monitor, and easier for me to read with sunglasses on than the Leaf Battery App. Wonderful to have such a wealth of choices.

I hate the LeafDD.. All it shows me is my battery is degrading. :evil:

(it's a joke, the LeafDD is the best monitoring device available in my opinion!)

Hi All,
Took my first Leaf DD readings from my 2011 Leaf: 23,500 mi.
100% charge = 94.2692%
GID's = 258
Batt V = 394.5 (temp 26.1~ 27.2)
Ah = 57.71
low cell V = 4.091 (#16)
hi cell = 4.113

The cell balancing doesn't make sense to me. Cell #16 would show the shunt indicator and the voltage would go up (both in the linear display and numerically). Sometimes the shunt indicators would show up on hi cells and V would go down.
I will document a few 100% charges to allow for balancing before I go in for the charger / batt sys re-program

bowthom said:
Hi All,
Took my first Leaf DD readings from my 2011 Leaf: 23,500 mi.
100% charge = 94.2692%
GID's = 258
Batt V = 394.5 (temp 26.1~ 27.2)
Ah = 57.71
low cell V = 4.091 (#16)
hi cell = 4.113

I'm jealous. The highest GID reading I've had since getting my LeafDD is 235. But I'm down a bar. During the week I charge to 100% to make the 66 mile round trip without the opportinity to charge at work. I have to say, the solid readings of GID's makes the anxiety go away. I can see the GOM go down to 4 miles and still see the GID's at 25. I now feel comfortable enough to use the commute lane and do 65 for the last 15 miles because I know I have enough!!!

Thanks Greg...

Another thread about the LeafDD inspired me to pop the cover near the A pillar, and drill a small hole near the edge to run the cable back to the OBDII interface. Once I get the case issues addressed, I'll mount it with special tape. Anyways, here are some pics (ignore the dust please):

leafdd01.jpg

leafdd02.jpg

leafdd03.jpg

leafdd04.jpg

I think I'm all caught up on the waitlist.. LeafDD is available now and can be ordered with credit card or Paypal at http://www.leafdd.com Units ship within a few days via USPS priority mail (another 2-3 days). See the first post in this thread for more info.

GregH said:
I think I'm all caught up on the waitlist.. LeafDD is available now and can be ordered with credit card or Paypal at http://www.leafdd.com Units ship within a few days via USPS priority mail (another 2-3 days). See the first post in this thread for more info.

Consider me a very happy customer and I highly recommend the LeafDD. If you don't have some sort of a CanBus system to give you accurate GID reads, you should buy this. A previous thread discussed the merits of raw GID's as opposed to percentages and as a newbie with no experience with other systems, raw GID's is awesome. I am learning how many GID's it takes to get to work and if I add some side trips, I'm confident to know how much is left and what it takes to get home. I'm a lot more confident in the range. I find myself driving faster meaning 60 or 62 instead of 55 to 57 with occaisional 65's in the commute lane as I get close to home and have plenty left. For me it's huge and appreciated. I know a lot of you put a lot of work into interpreting the data points coming out of the CanBus but this is a nice package that Greg put together.

BTW, if anyone in the Bay Area wants some help to mount the display, I can provide assistance. It's actually very easy to pop the top left dash but some people might be uncomfortable with that. I'll work for a diet coke and help get you set up if needed.

I'll second Digitalxrayguy's sentiments. Having a device to measure Gids just makes it easier to stretch the range and get an idea of how much "fuel" it takes to make a trip under various weather and speed conditions (which won't be news to those who have used other meter versions over the last few years). It also helps me calibrate how much charging I need for planned trips or to keep the battery in a good charge range. I pay little attention to the fuel bars on the dash now: the information they give is crude by comparison.

And being able to see the battery temperature readings is a big deal; I've been parking outside at night to keep it cooler. I wish I had done so last summer and I might have a bit more capacity, but the crude temperature bar gauge on the dash doesn't have enough resolution to be useful. Add in other features, such as the bar graph of power used/regened, 12 V battery voltage, individual cell-pair voltages, battery capacity reading, and LEAF DD is a very useful tool at a bargain price. I use it every time I drive the LEAF: it lives on my dash above the center console.

One technical note for GregH: after the P3227 software update on my car the Capacity and "Health" readings no longer seem to track one another. Capacity is about where it was before (61.6 Ah) but "Health" has dropped by a lot (86.5, although it fluctuates). I find it curious and wonder if it has anything to do with the update being based on the 2013 model software (as I understand it).

Thanks guys! :)

dgpcolorado said:
One technical note for GregH: after the P3227 software update on my car the Capacity and "Health" readings no longer seem to track one another. Capacity is about where it was before (61.6 Ah) but "Health" has dropped by a lot (86.5, although it fluctuates). I find it curious and wonder if it has anything to do with the update being based on the 2013 model software (as I understand it).

Interesting.. After looking at some 2013s I suspected the "health" number was actually inflated a bit.. as if the Ah capacity needed for 100% health was moved down to a lower number. It is odd at the lower capacities how low the health number sinks! On the high end the 2013 rental I'm in (for one final day) has been pegged at 67.3620Ah but the health has jumped around between 109 and 111 a few weeks ago, now down to 107-109 range.. still 67.3620Ah though.. In my 2012 with the old software the Ah capacity and health tracked fairly close (around 62.5Ah, 94.3%H last I saw).

I've noticed the same thing on my 2011...

dgpcolorado said:

I have been using the LeafDD for a month now and I recommend every LEAF owner get one!

I reckon my battery is at 238 Gids based on the reading after ten 100% charges.

Average Gid Count: 220
Average SOC: 92.2953%

Highest Gid Count: 223 (93.3190% SOC)
Lowest Gid Count: 216 (90.4463% SOC)

I am planning on getting the P3227 software update within the few days.

Back