LeafDD - Dash Display for Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spike09 said:
Average Gid Count: 220
Average SOC: 92.2953%

Highest Gid Count: 223 (93.3190% SOC)
Lowest Gid Count: 216 (90.4463% SOC)

I am planning on getting the P3227 software update within the few days.
It would be interesting to see your capacity ("C" on page 2, middle column, units are Ah, Amp-hours) and "Health" numbers ("H" on page 2 middle column, units unclear but possibly some sort of percentage) both before and for several weeks after the software update.

Digitalxrayguy said:
... can see the GOM go down to 4 miles and still see the GID's at 25. I now feel comfortable enough to use the commute lane and do 65 for the last 15 miles because I know I have enough!!!

Eek!! That is NOT correct!!!

There is about 5-6 miles remaining at 65mph* from 25 GID, which is Very Low Battery. You have about 1.3kWh of stored USEABLE energy at about 4 miles per kWh*

*level, drive, hard surface level roadway with no headwind, no climate control (particularly the heater, but AC is usually ok)

[/quote]
Eek!! That is NOT correct!!!

There is about 5-6 miles remaining at 65mph* from 25 GID, which is Very Low Battery. You have about 1.3kWh of stored USEABLE energy at about 4 miles per kWh*

*level, drive, hard surface level roadway with no headwind, no climate control (particularly the heater, but AC is usually ok)[/quote]

Sorry, I didn't make the message clear. I didn't mean to say I'd get 15 more after hitting 25 Gid but rather I'll go faster than normal in the commute lane for the last 15 miles. At 4 GOM miles, I still have 25 Gid. At the 25 Gid point, I'm within 5 miles of the house.

For me, when I have about 15 miles of the actual commute left, I have access to a QC. I also have typically 12 or 13 miles left on the GOM. I have to decide to either pull off and top off or chance it home. Now, with the LeafDD, I will see 13 miles on the GOM, 15 actual miles to drive according to Waze, and 50 or 55 Gids left. Now it's an easy decision to just keep going and not lose 1/2 an hour to pull off to the City of Hayward garage which is probably 4 miles off the freeway one way. I have confidence to just keep going! I hope that helps explain.

Digitalxrayguy said:
... with the LeafDD, I will see 13 miles on the GOM, 15 actual miles to drive according to Waze, and 50 or 55 Gids left. Now it's an easy decision to just keep going and not lose 1/2 an hour to pull off to the City of Hayward garage which is probably 4 miles off the freeway one way. I have confidence to just keep going! I hope that helps explain.

Ok, that is more clear. You're still cutting it close!! Glad it's working for you.

Just to be clear, you'll typically get the Turtle mode at about 4-7 GIDs (it varies because the threshold is based on the lowest cell-pair voltage).

So, at 49 or 50 GID, you'll see Low Battery Warning and have about 3.1kWh of useable energy remaining. At 65mph on a level road, consuming .25kWh per mile (4 miles per kWh), you can drive a total of about 12-13 miles (4 * 3.1 = 12.4 miles). Obviously, driving slower will increase the range.

Received today. Within the first 5 minutes the display glitched out but a disconnect/reconnect seemed to take care of it. One question I have is there seems to be a 4% difference in what my car says the SOC is compared to what the LeafDD says. Any reason for this?

Your LEAF has a buffer, so when your display shows 0%, you really have some charge left (but not much).

As for the glitch, it happens when you put too much stress on the display (by pushing the connector, or pushing on another part). Once you stop touching it, it stops doing that.

See my previous post if you want to see how I mounted it.

wsbsteven said:
Received today. Within the first 5 minutes the display glitched out but a disconnect/reconnect seemed to take care of it. One question I have is there seems to be a 4% difference in what my car says the SOC is compared to what the LeafDD says. Any reason for this?
The SOC percent in 2013 Leafs is the percent of usable SOC, so it goes from 0-100.

The LeafDD displays the true SOC, which goes from around 4%-95%.

You are comparing prunes and cherries. :lol:

The fuel-related value displayed by the 2013 LEAF is only
improperly called SOC, although it is an attempt to indicate
the state (or condition) of something related to fuel.

It is more nearly FTF (Fuel Tank Fullness), most likely excluding
some reserve portion at the "bottom" of the "fuel-tank".

So, it is not SOC (although related), and not the amount of
usable fuel-energy remaining... since the "fuel tank" shrinks
over time.

Percent GIDs attempts to show, in constant terms, the energy
remaining (mostly usable, but NO reserve) as a percentage of
a typical, full, new battery. So far, it seems, no single dashboard
instrument reveals that information.

Agreed.. after playing with the real SOC and SOC*Ah Cap (both of which are fun to watch and have value).. I've gone back to straight plain old Gids on my main display.

My normal morning commute uphill 35 miles usually requires 130-140 Gids. For the last two days I tried cruise control at 55-57mph in the slow lane (as compared to my usual 70-75 in the carpool lane) and was really pleased to see 98 Gids spent yesterday and 89 Gids used on this mornings commute! More importantly it adds about 5 minutes to my commute which lines up nicely with a 44 minute podcast.. ;)

Very nice. You must have charging available at work to make it home with the 70 - 75 mph speeds. It's funny how some companies that try to be green are being so slow to provide and allow charging at work. I have a 110 outlet I can use but was told NO, can't use it as it affords me an unfair advantage to have my commute partially paid for by the company. I'm jealous :)

Podcasts are a welcome addition to the 55 - 57 speed which is what i have to do. For me it's good old Leo LaPorte on the TWIT pod casts.

GregH said:
Agreed.. after playing with the real SOC and SOC*Ah Cap (both of which are fun to watch and have value).. I've gone back to straight plain old Gids on my main display...
I did the same. The percentages have a certain entertainment value but I find that measuring trips and distances by Gids much easier and more useful.

It is also easier to compare charging numbers — Gids at 80% and 100% charge — with others here because the unit is the same. The discussion above about the meaning of the percentage display on the 2013 dash versus "real" SOC% outlines a source of confusion. By contrast, Gids are very simple.

Completed my 100 Mile run today thanks to Greg's LeafDD. Total GID consumed was 234 for 100.2. Trip took 3h 55m with AC set to lowest blower and 84F which wasn't nearly enough. I celebrated when I arrived back home by getting a drink and using the restroom. :D

garygid said:
100 miles in about 4 hours?
So, you drove slowly, averaging about 25 miles per hour?

But, a bit of a thrill to make the over-100 club, right?
Congratulations!

The path I chose was a 4-5 lane road that half circles the outer edge of Saint Louis (City). That was followed up by a 20 mile path that went between my house and downtown Saint Louis until I hit 100. The road speed ranged between 30-45 which the majority of it being 40 with lots and lots of traffic lights. It wasn't just a trip in the county with no stops, it was realistic city driving.

It looks like there is a wiki article on the road I spent 2/3 of my trip on.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindbergh_Boulevard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm still loving this device. I do have two very simple suggestions to improve the user interface, though, and will post here for any discussion. Sorry if this has been covered before.

When you hold the button for a second to change the units, it would be an improvement for the digits to start blinking at the one second mark prior to having to release the button first. That way you know the mode has changed and the button can be released. Secondly, while the digits are blinking with your finger off the button, you should be able to ignore the unit and a timer should expire after a few seconds and stop the blinking automatically, returning the unit to normal mode of operation.

That's all. These simple changes would make the device simpler and easier to use. Still a wonderful instrument. Thanks again, Greg!

Hello,
I've been enjoying my Leaf DD except for watching my capacity shrink. The wife took a new job with a 40 mile round trip and decided to start charging to 100% every day in the summer heat. OUCH! Last April (month 26 of ownership) my leaf showed 279 gids after allowing it to cell balance to 100% SOC for 2 days. Now 4 months later it only gets 255. :cry:

I'll be taking it in for the OBC update soon.

bowthom said:
Last April (month 26 of ownership) my leaf showed 279 gids after allowing it to cell balance to 100% SOC for 2 days. Now 4 months later it only gets 255. :cry:
Keep in mind that unless you have the P3227 update GID counts in cool weather are likely too high and GID counts in warm weather are likely too low.

But still - letting it balance for 2 days? No one recommends leaving it at 100% for more than 4 hours for balancing purposes and it's always best for battery longevity to minimize time spent at high SOC.

bowthom said:
Hello,
I've been enjoying my Leaf DD except for watching my capacity shrink. The wife took a new job with a 40 mile round trip and decided to start charging to 100% every day in the summer heat. OUCH! Last April (month 26 of ownership) my leaf showed 279 gids after allowing it to cell balance to 100% SOC for 2 days. Now 4 months later it only gets 255. :cry:

I'll be taking it in for the OBC update soon.

your pattern is pretty much the same as nearly everyone elses. In the Pacific Northwest where battery longevity should be great, we are seeing the EXACT same pattern as you.

my SOC was in the high 260's-low 270's in April (month 27 for me) Now I am running between 235-245. a bit more mileage than you but I am far from being alone. there are at least a dozen others in the Seattle area (a bit cooler than me) that are in the same boat including one who has lost a bar at just over 40,000 miles (We also have Steve who lost his bar at around 80,000 miles)

But some of it is due to heat issues i believe. after my SW update, my GID count which had already dropped to the mid 250's started dropping again not stopping until it hit 234 one day. After a month hovering in that area, I am starting to see a little rebound with a few 245's and 248 a few days ago and those do correspond loosely to the slight cooling we have seen

drees said:
bowthom said:
Last April (month 26 of ownership) my leaf showed 279 gids after allowing it to cell balance to 100% SOC for 2 days. Now 4 months later it only gets 255. :cry:
Keep in mind that unless you have the P3227 update GID counts in cool weather are likely too high and GID counts in warm weather are likely too low.

But still - letting it balance for 2 days? No one recommends leaving it at 100% for more than 4 hours for balancing purposes and it's always best for battery longevity to minimize time spent at high SOC.

Let me clarify, I let the car charge to 100% for two consecutive days allowing for balancing at night. It was driven between so it wasn't sitting around at a high state of charge for 48hours.

Back