Leafs Over Texas!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI - Small victory for Texas EVers this week...
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=72519#p72519

On Thursday, Rep. Linda Harper Brown (R-Irving) filed a bill, HB 1669, to begin a two-year Vehicle Miles Traveled (VMT) taxing method pilot program for all electric cars registered in Texas.
The public hearing was Monday the 28th of March and was attended by Electric Auto Ass'n folks and Plug-in Texas (after a heads-up from this forum!). The bill was put back into 'pending' status pending rework.

I haven't yet seen any news of the Gov's EV/hybrid incentives for emissions non-attainment areas (DFW, Houston) but haven't dug too deeply yet. Anyone in DFW or Houston hear anything about incentives or rebates?

Thanks!
Andy

jhm614 said:
Woo Hoo! Just got the call! I can pick the Leaf up at 8:30 in the morning!

j.

Great news Jason. Send us a photo of you & your Leaf!

My dealer emailed me today. He says my Leaf is being loaded onto the train from California tonight, and comes by truck from whereever the railhead it. That's a bit of a disappointment since it is unlikely to be ready by Friday if it is just leaving CA tonight. I did appreciate the fact that the Nissan dealer actually checked on this without me even asking. I think they are as excited about getting the car as I am. It will be the first in West Texas.....

jhm614 said:

Congrats, J. Very jealous but I hopefully won't be far behind you. Definitely post a photo! Are you the first in DFW?

AmarilloLeaf said:
My dealer emailed me today. He says my Leaf is being loaded onto the train from California tonight, and comes by truck from whereever the railhead it. That's a bit of a disappointment since it is unlikely to be ready by Friday if it is just leaving CA tonight. I did appreciate the fact that the Nissan dealer actually checked on this without me even asking. I think they are as excited about getting the car as I am. It will be the first in West Texas.....

Wonder if mine will be on the same train. That's nice they are in constant communication with you as mine has been completely unaware of any additional information whatsoever. It will be good knowledge to have in calculating future deliveries to TX as all shipments are going through Long Beach.

The public hearing was Monday the 28th of March and was attended by Electric Auto Ass'n folks and Plug-in Texas (after a heads-up from this forum!). The bill was put back into 'pending' status pending rework.

If that bill ever passes, I will be extremely disappointed. Is there a way we can get involved to make sure this doesn't happen? I cannot stand legislation in a big red state that invokes taxes and stifles innovation because big oil lobbyists can afford to put up a bigger fight to ensure record breaking profits every quarter.

I haven't yet seen any news of the Gov's EV/hybrid incentives for emissions non-attainment areas (DFW, Houston) but haven't dug too deeply yet. Anyone in DFW or Houston hear anything about incentives or rebates?

Besides the federal tax credit and EVSE credit, there hasn't been much of any incentives in TX besides the city of SA having free metered parking for EV's. I'm a bit disappointed too that Ecotality does not subsidize any EVSE's for the LEAF in TX.

Here's a website for Texas rebates and incentives, though: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/state_summary/TX

dash said:
jhm614 said:

Congrats, J. Very jealous but I hopefully won't be far behind you. Definitely post a photo! Are you the first in DFW?
Ditto .. jealous ..

Yap, I think he's the first in DFW. We were tracking dates about the same...
Mine still says 'Week of March 30th' .. humm .. can't be long, but I haven't received my 7 day notice.

jhm614 said:
Jason,
Very happy for you and hopefully when I will be next time in DWF you will show me your new ride.
Our Dallas Leaf event price donated to support people in Japan.
Richard

Congrats to Jason as well.

If not for the earthquake and the tsunami, April would likely have been a huge month for Leaf owners. As it is, most of us active on this thread, eagerly checking our delivery status, should take delivery in the next few weeks. This isn't that long, considering the span of the dominance of the internal combustion engine or in more recent terms, the days since we paid $99 for for the right to reserve our vehicles.

When should we have the first DFW area meet up?

Edit: Just moved to week of April 15th.

Ok, got an email last night. My car is at the dealer and being prepped ..
Looks like I'll pick it up Friday afternoon....

Jason .. maybe a meeting at No Frills that evening..
Our cars are nearly identical ..

Status on the portal, shows .. week of March 30th ..

dpfeif said:
congratulations, looks like you are silver medal winner in DFW area.

dpfeif said:

Jason .. maybe a meeting at No Frills that evening..
Our cars are nearly identical ..

Status on the portal, shows .. week of March 30th ..

No Frills on Friday night sounds like a plan! Have you tried Molly's in that same shopping center? It's been on my list of places to try for a while.

Things went well at Don Davis, I think they were more excited than I was. It took about 3.5 hours but I'll bet that will get quicker as they work through the process a few more times. CarWings setup was a snap -- make sure to print out the info from the owner's portal and it steps you through the activation process.

Made it to work okay, pics to come tonight.

J.

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

dash said:

If that bill ever passes, I will be extremely disappointed. Is there a way we can get involved to make sure this doesn't happen? I cannot stand legislation in a big red state that invokes taxes and stifles innovation because big oil lobbyists can afford to put up a bigger fight to ensure record breaking profits every quarter.

Dash - Here's a link to the Texas House Transportation Committee:
http://www.house.state.tx.us/committees/committee/?committee=470&session=82

There's a 'bills referred' link on the right side of the page that opens pending legislation:
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Reports/Report.aspx?ID=committee&LegSess=82R&Code=C470

As an aside - HB 3308 (match: SB 1742) is to allow plug-in hybrid and EVs single-occupant access to carpool lanes.
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/82R/billtext/pdf/HB03308I.pdf#navpanes=0

Andy

Back