LEAF's Top speed?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philipscoggins

I searched about this and couldn't find where it had been discussed before.

I thought the LEAF was limited to 85mph, but noticed while at the dealership last week that they listed top speed as 90mph.

So last night I had to go on the interstate for 3 miles and well... I backed off at 93, dunno how much more it will go. Incredibly smooth, same as 65 no difference. Carwings probably voided my warrenty

Philip

93 MPH if memory serves me. It is limited by the red line of the electric motor which is about 10,300 rpm. Keep in mind that the speedometer reads a little fast so a real 93 will likely display a few mph higher... There is an extensive thread on this elsewhere here.

philipscoggins said:

I thought the LEAF was limited to 85mph, but noticed while at the dealership last week that they listed top speed as 90mph.

So last night I had to go on the interstate for 3 miles and well... I backed off at 93, dunno how much more it will go. Incredibly smooth, same as 65 no difference. Carwings probably voided my warrenty

Philip

On level ground, about 94mph indicated.

The motor is turning about 10,300 RPM divided by a 7.8 reduction gear box is 1320 RPM of the wheels, which are about 23 inches in diameter.

23 * pi = 72.25 inches multiplied by 1320 = 95,378 inches per minute multiplied by 60 minutes equals 5,722,720 inches per mile divided by 12 equals 476,893 feet per hour divided by 5280 equals 90.3 miles per hour ground speed, which is about 92-93 indicated speed.

Too much rounding. The gear ratio is actual above 7.8, but I don't remember off the top of my head and the tire may be slightly larger. Motor speed is slightly above 10,300 RPM also.

TonyWilliams said:
The motor is turning about 10,300 RPM divided by a 7.8 reduction gear box is 1320 RPM of the wheels, which are about 23 inches in diameter.

23 * pi = 72.25 inches multiplied by 1320 = 95,378 inches per minute multiplied by 60 minutes equals 5,722,720 inches per mile divided by 12 equals 476,893 feet per hour divided by 5280 equals 90.3 miles per hour ground speed, which is about 92-93 indicated speed.

Too much rounding. The gear ratio is actual above 7.8, but I don't remember off the top of my head and the tire may be slightly larger. Motor speed is slightly above 10,300 RPM also.

:lol: I figured you guys would know. It was really smooth though. :cool:

Philip

The Leaf needs a tachometer. Not for any real reason, just because it would be cool.

It has been reported by others here that power is reduced at or above 94mph. I can't vouch for it, I chickened out at 93.

philipscoggins said:

Philip
In reverse, the LEAF is electronically limited to an indicated speed of 25. I've personally confirmed this. :cool:

I can't find it - can someone else?

The video of a LEAF doing maximum in reverse, then quickly braking and turning and taking off forward. Probably about a year ago.

Most I've seen on the readout is 102 - probably stops around 101 on the flat. When compared with GPS tracking this appeared to be a genuine 93mph

tbh my speedo more often is in the 55-65 range....

Back