Leviton Evr-Green EVSE Info/Pics

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ml194152 said:
Home Depot is saying "out of stock online" for the Schneider.

Yes, but they let me place the order anyway. As long as it comes in before mid December, it will be fine for the %30 federal tax credit, since it will be placed "in service" in 2011

hodad66 said:
a fellow forum member believes that it is still 50% so I started
looking for documentation.... couldn't find it. :D

That would be even nicer......

For residential, its %30 of the cost, up to a maximum of a $1,000 credit, IRS form 8911, the 2011 version is not out yet, but you can see the credit information here:

http://www.afdc.energy.gov/afdc/laws/law/US/351" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will note it expires at the end of 2011, and with this economy, who knows if it will be reauthorized for 2012.

smkettner said:
Valdemar said:
I have an older electric dryer outlet in my garage, I think it is on a 40-Amp breaker. Can I connect a Leviton charger to it?
The Leviton 160 has a NEMA 6-20 plug or hardwire option. You could make an adapter and plug in just fine. If you want to plug in direct you would need to swap the outlet to the 6-20 and put in a 20a breaker to meet code. Might be best to have an electrician do the work. With the circuit already pulled it should be an easy install.

What about the 320 model? Will it provide faster charging? Since the circuit is already on a 40a breaker (need to confirm) it should be able to handle it I think.

Valdemar said:
smkettner said:
Valdemar said:
I have an older electric dryer outlet in my garage, I think it is on a 40-Amp breaker. Can I connect a Leviton charger to it?
The Leviton 160 has a NEMA 6-20 plug or hardwire option. You could make an adapter and plug in just fine. If you want to plug in direct you would need to swap the outlet to the 6-20 and put in a 20a breaker to meet code. Might be best to have an electrician do the work. With the circuit already pulled it should be an easy install.

What about the 320 model? Will it provide faster charging? Since the circuit is already on a 40a breaker (need to confirm) it should be able to handle it I think.

If you have a 40A circuit, you might as well get the Aerovironment unit from the eBay seller for $599 + $30, or the Schnieder unit from Home Depot online (back ordered currently but they will let you order it, $729 + free shipping), or even the SPX PowerExpress ($749 + shipping). All of these units are capable of 40A, with the SPX being adjustable to smaller circuits as well.

Also, there is no release date yet for the larger Leviton, from what we've heard so far, might not be until 2012..

The Leviton 320 and all the other 40+ amp L2 will not charge the current LEAF any faster than the 160. Charging is limited to about 16a by the LEAF on board charger. In future years and other vehicles will have larger on board charger that will utilize the full 32+ amps if available.

Check again that you have 40a breaker and #8 wire before you get a higher rated charging dock.

smkettner said:
The Leviton 320 and all the other 40+ amp L2 will not charge the current LEAF any faster than the 160. Charging is limited to about 16a by the LEAF on board charger. In future years and other vehicles will have larger on board charger that will utilize the full 32+ amps if available.

Check again that you have 40a breaker and #8 wire before you get a higher rated charging dock.

Correct.

If however you are going to spend the money, and have the circuit wired already, with the correct sized wire, and you qualify for a %30 federal tax credit for 2011, you might as well get the largest EVSE that will work for the 2011/2012 Leaf and for future EVs with higher KW chargers. Why not, the government is contributing now, we don't know about future years... and the EVSE's are all in a similar price range now. The Tesla Model S will in theory be out mid-end of 2012, it will be able to use even larger EVSE's, most likely (its comming with a 300 mile pack, estimated at 90KW), of course its not affordable to most, but larger chargers will already be arriving in 2012 for high end EVs.

Thanks for all suggestions and clarifications, I'll have to double-check the outlet's circuit capacity. I've also started the process to get a free Blink system installed but there is a chance I may need to move in the near future, so I'm contemplating to postpone the Blink until that and pay for the L2 charger out of pocket now and use the tax credit available until end of this year.

smkettner said:
Also the Leviton 160 will charge the newer cars with more powerful chargers just fine..... just slower than what will ultimately be possible.

sure it will. A standard 12A 120V EVSE will also charge a Tesla Model S with a 300 mile pack, of course it will take days... [90KW, figure about %70 used, so %70 of 90KW is 63KW @ 1.4KW/hour, that's 45 hours without any charger losses, so more like 50-55 hours in reality)

the point is, buy the biggest, most capable EVSE that you have the amperage and wiring to support, because there's no point in upgrading it in a few years, the EVSE's are already down to the ~$700 ballpark already, and we know the %30 Federal tax credit exists until 12/31/2011, future years are not a certainty at this point. Also the trend is to reduce the amount of the credit as well, it went from %50 or $2,500 max ($ number may not be exact) in 2009/2010, to %30 or $1,000 max in 2011, what will it be in 2012? %15 or $500 max? you see my point?

Valdemar said:

OR (even easier), buy an "old" dryer plug/cord and make your own 6-20 adapter (see my blogs on this forum); I have the exact same setup in my garage (although I haven't yet decided between the Leviton and SPX) and even added an L6-20 adapter to use with the modified Nissan EVSE in the interim. As long as you don't mess with the original dryer plug/circuit installed in the wall, you still meet building code.

mitch672 said:
smkettner said:
Also the Leviton 160 will charge the newer cars with more powerful chargers just fine..... just slower than what will ultimately be possible.

sure it will. A standard 12A 120V EVSE will also charge a Tesla Model S with a 300 mile pack, of course it will take days... [90KW, figure about %70 used, so %70 of 90KW is 63KW @ 1.4KW/hour, that's 45 hours without any charger losses, so more like 50-55 hours in reality)

the point is, buy the biggest, most capable EVSE that you have the amperage and wiring to support, because there's no point in upgrading it in a few years, the EVSE's are already down to the ~$700 ballpark already, and we know the %30 Federal tax credit exists until 12/31/2011, future years are not a certainty at this point. Also the trend is to reduce the amount of the credit as well, it went from %50 or $2,500 max ($ number may not be exact) in 2009/2010, to %30 or $1,000 max in 2011, what will it be in 2012? %15 or $500 max? you see my point?

The EVSE Tax Credit a.k.a. The Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit

The 50%/$2000 cap was special for 2009 and 2010; before then it was 30%/$1000 cap ending 31 December 2010. In December 2010 they sneaked a 1-year extension to the Alternative Fuel credit onto the omnibus tax bill, which you can read about on my blog. They simply restored the credit to its original levels. They didn't technically reduce it.

I think the Leviton charger is agood unit except they lost sight of the simple things. The J1772 plug didn't come with a dust cover. What could that have possibly cost them? I contacted Leviton to see if such an item was available. Their reply was "No". If anyone out there knows how to get a dust cover for the J1772 plug, please let the forum know.

TimeHorse said:
The EVSE Tax Credit a.k.a. The Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit

The 50%/$2000 cap was special for 2009 and 2010; before then it was 30%/$1000 cap ending 31 December 2010. In December 2010 they sneaked a 1-year extension to the Alternative Fuel credit onto the omnibus tax bill, which you can read about on my blog. They simply restored the credit to its original levels. They didn't technically reduce it.

Yes, but it is now at %30 with a $1,000 MAX, and reading your blog, its best to install the EVSE and take the tax credit in ANOTHER year than when you are buying the EV, to avoid the "AMT" calculation, that causes the deducation to be lost. Again, another reason to install the EVSE prior to being able to buy an EV in my area :)

"Technically, the EVSE credit wasn't reduced. The 50% / $2,000 limits were specific adjustments to the 2009 and 2010 tax years. As of 2011, we go back to the old limits of 30% / $1,000 maximum. Not the best of options, but at least the credit was extended."

P.S. Have you been able to test your CS-100 with any EV or PHEV yet (Leaf or Volt?). I am somewhat concerned that I am buying the Schnieder EVSE, and it may not even work, and will be out of warranty by the time I can use it. I have no way to really test it. I guess what we could really use is an "EV Simulator" that gets loaned out to members of the EAA, so at least we would have a way to test these EVSEs as they are installed, to make sure the Pilot signal works, etc.

mitch672 said:
P.S. Have you been able to test your CS-100 with any EV or PHEV yet (Leaf or Volt?). I am somewhat concerned that I am buying the Schnieder EVSE, and it may not even work, and will be out of warranty by the time I can use it. I have no way to really test it. I guess what we could really use is an "EV Simulator" that gets loaned out to members of the EAA, so at least we would have a way to test these EVSEs as they are installed, to make sure the Pilot signal works, etc.
It might be worth contacting Schneider and explaining your situation. They may be open to extending the warranty till some time after you take delivery of your LEAF.

davewill said:
mitch672 said:
It might be worth contacting Schneider and explaining your situation. They may be open to extending the warranty till some time after you take delivery of your LEAF.

I think I'll build a J-1772 "vehicle side" simulator. http://modularevpower.com/Active_Vehicle_Side_Control_development.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
is a board to "simulate" some parts of the vehicle side interface, with a J-1772 socket and a few more control parts, I'm sure a vehicle simulator can be built...

mitch672 said:

No, I have not and it's almost a year. If I take delivery as expected in November, I'll literally be getting my car something like 11 months and 2-3 weeks after I ordered my EVSE! I'm actually listed in PlugShare but no-one's e-mailed me yet about using it and none of my fellow EVA/DC members have taken their Volts, or in Dave Davison's lucky case, his LEAF (and our Tesla guy, well, he has a different plug type, the one they swapped out to put the J1772 plug on). But my theory on why no-one wants to charge chez moi is:

• There is a public EVSE reported about 10 minutes drive from my home.
  • Unlike all the FUD, most EV drivers charge at home and rarely publicly charge. :)

I recently got a quote (sort of by accident, I phoned leviton to see if how much a charging station installed in my workplace would be. (Shortly afterwords my boss said that they would only supply the out-door power and not the EVSE, which is more than what I originally asked for anyways)

sorry, this is actually aerovironment, not leviton, totally the wrong forum.

jclemens said:
I recently got a quote (sort of by accident, I phoned leviton to see if how much a charging station installed in my workplace would be.

This quote is subject to standard AeroVironment Terms and Conditions, as attached.

Why is Leviton giving you an Aerovironment quote?

Back