Longer range rumor

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
150 is reality in about 2 years or Leaf is history. And I suspect Nissan knows that too.
Model E baby!

adric22 said:
BoulderLeaf said:
I hope this isn't the wrong forum, but I wanted to ask about something I recall reading about. It was a discussion here on the forum (I think) but I could not find it in my searches. I recall hearing about someone who had claims to have talked to a technician who worked at a company that provides support for quick chargers in the Phoenix area. They said that this technician reported that he had worked on a QC that Nissan was using to test a newer, bigger battery with 150 miles of range (this was before the recent survey and other comments about 125 miles of range, etc).!
I do not remember this exact discussion. However, there was a long thread here based on a survey that Nissan sent out asking people their opinions on a EPA 150 mile Leaf (not 125 as you stated). There was also a news story a while back where Nissan was using a Leaf at a racetrack or something and said it had a 48Kwh battery pack (which should give about 150 miles range) But nobody was able to get a close look at the car.

Thanks. I realize the survey was regarding 150 miles, but a Nissan exec recently mentions at least 125 miles before the next gen LEAF (so to me this means in 2015, but we'll see).

Stoaty said:
Could be this:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6494&p=318656&hilit=tech#p318656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is it, thanks!

TomT said:
Yep, they are all, almost without any exception, just that: Unfounded rumors with no substantiation.

Hey, I heard from a technician at a dealer who heard form a guy deep inside Nissan who knows someone that he has secret inside info that the next Leaf will be shaped like a Unicorn!

Yeah, I realize that these are just unfounded rumors. However, there is a constellation of things aligning that I feel that there is going to be a more-than-incremental change very soon. I think Nissan needs to do this in order to stay relevant (and I think they know it too).

But a unicorn shaped LEAF would be totally rad. :)

Reddy said:
Stoaty said:
Could be this:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6494&p=318656&hilit=tech#p318656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think you got the right "rumor". However, here is the thread on real testing of the 48 kWh Leaf, no rumor:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14690

From what I've read, this was essentially a "double" battery of the current chemistry, and not really meant as a prototype for production use.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies everyone!

BoulderLeaf said:
Thanks. I realize the survey was regarding 150 miles, but a Nissan exec recently mentions at least 125 miles before the next gen LEAF (so to me this means in 2015, but we'll see).
FWIW, at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13264&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, I linked to a video where a Nissan European exec already stated that the Leaf's range "now is up to 200 kilometers". :roll: That's 124 miles!

So... we're just a mile short now. :roll:

I'm glad the survey mentioned 150 mile EPA range instead of these grossly inflated NEDC ratings.

ILETRIC said:
150 is reality in about 2 years or Leaf is history. And I suspect Nissan knows that too.
Model E baby!

About halfway through my 3 year lease. Love everything about the car EXCEPT the range especially in S. California. Unless Nissan doubles the range, I'm going back to a high MPG ICE car. Yes, the 70 mile range is good for 90% of your daily driving, but it's that 10% that's total PAIN. Quick charging makes it tolerable but often you can't depend on them esp if you are trying to get there in a certain time frame.

Yes, the 70 mile range is good for 90% of your daily driving, but it's that 10% that's total PAIN.

That's why the Leaf is really only great as a second car, or as an urban/suburban-only car. We have a PIP as well, and while I've only needed to use it once because of range issues, I'd have a lot more anxiety if we didn't have it.

Only one car in this household. Rent for longer trips which is a pain. 150 mile leaf would make renting only needed twice a year. relayrides.com and getaround.com make renting a tad easier. If you have an extra car you should try these. If you don't use a car regularly on the weekend you can make extra money renting it out. I have no affiliation with either company.
Here is a story of some guy renting a Tesla:
http://danielodio.com/i-rented-a-tesla-model-s-for-25-hr-from-getaround-here-was-my-experience" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LeftieBiker said:
I had a dream in which my Leaf had a 150 mile real world range, but I had to be naked to go that far.

Hahahaha. I would drive with no shirt for 150 mile range. But no pants sounds like a bust unless in a dream where anything goes but a dream won't get me a 150 mile battery in the real world.

LeftieBiker said:
Yes, the 70 mile range is good for 90% of your daily driving, but it's that 10% that's total PAIN.

That's why the Leaf is really only great as a second car, or as an urban/suburban-only car. We have a PIP as well, and while I've only needed to use it once because of range issues, I'd have a lot more anxiety if we didn't have it.

The Leaf IS our second car, but sometimes the ICE car is being used by my wife. Especially in Los Angeles, 75 miles doesn't last that long. QCs are nice to have around but sometimes you have to wait in line, or they are out of order. Don't get me wrong, everything else about the car is great. I'm sure Nissan knows RANGE is the #1 priority. Let hope they deliver in 2016.

adric22 said:
BoulderLeaf said:
There was also a news story a while back where Nissan was using a Leaf at a racetrack or something and said it had a 48Kwh battery pack (which should give about 150 miles range) But nobody was able to get a close look at the car.

That car Leaf is in Spain and don't have a better battery, they have 48kw because in that race was a Mercedes A-Class with a 36kw battery and they don't won loss. And the Leaf was with the interior full of battery, nothing confortable, and don't was a official proyect of Nissan.

leaf.png
MB.jpg

Weckel said:
adric22 said:
BoulderLeaf said:
There was also a news story a while back where Nissan was using a Leaf at a racetrack or something and said it had a 48Kwh battery pack (which should give about 150 miles range) But nobody was able to get a close look at the car.

That car Leaf is in Spain and don't have a better battery, they have 48kw because in that race was a Mercedes A-Class with a 36kw battery and they don't won loss. And the Leaf was with the interior full of battery, nothing confortable, and don't was a official proyect of Nissan.

leaf.png
MB.jpg

Yeah, that's what I heard too. By the way, your quote isn't correct: I didn't say what you have my quoted as saying. :)

WetEV said:
mkjayakumar said:
Nissan has a bigger problem of accelerated battery degradation that they have to fix, before entertaining any thoughts of longer range.

Larger battery makes battery degradation less of an issue.

Suppose your commute is 50 miles. No problem with an 80 mile range initially, even in cooler weather. But as the battery gets close to EOL at 70%, you will be pushing the range hard, as the car's range will drop to 56 miles, and that is 100% to turtle. Very little margin, even on a good day.

Same commute, with a 160 mile initial range. EOL 70% battery will have 112 mile range, no problem making that commute.

The reason why the faster battery degradation than promised hurt at lot of drivers is that many bought/leased without a thought for the commute with an EOL battery on a cold day.

If I was writing the EPA range sticker rules, the range would be quoted with an EOL battery. Oh, and what EOL percentage to pick? The one that is warrantied, of course.

Your argument is only valid for people who bought a Leaf based on a commute distance of the current range. As soon as a longer range Leaf comes out, people with a longer commute will purchase it and battery degradation will be just as big a factor to them as it is to current owners.

In the end either through nissan or a third party, there needs to be a service offering to restore battery life. Right now nissan is just working to keep up with demand so not many cycles to work on battery restores. You think the delta would wasn't it though, as electric don't need much else maintenance wise

LakeLeaf said:
WetEV said:
Larger battery makes battery degradation less of an issue.

Your argument is only valid for people who bought a Leaf based on a commute distance of the current range. As soon as a longer range Leaf comes out, people with a longer commute will purchase it and battery degradation will be just as big a factor to them as it is to current owners.

Sure, but the number of people with the problem will be smaller. 35 mile no worries range works for perhaps half of the people, based on what I've seen of daily driving distances. 70 mile no worries range would work for more like 90%.

LakeLeaf said:

I think the number of people buying a Leaf with the intent to drive over 100 miles per day (assuming the 150 mile battery) would still be very small. In fact, I'll make a prediction right now. Most of the people that are put off by the current range of the Leaf already fall well within the daily driving needs already. I personally know several people that drive less than 25 miles per day but won't consider a Leaf due to the limited range. However, I bet those same people would be more likely to consider a Leaf at 150 miles of range. This is especially true in cities where a lack of DC fast chargers or any other sort of public charging means a Leaf is current tethered to a 35 mile radius from your home. With a 150 mile battery, you could safely increase that radius to 70 miles.

adric22 said:
I think the number of people buying a Leaf with the intent to drive over 100 miles per day (assuming the 150 mile battery) would still be very small. In fact, I'll make a prediction right now. Most of the people that are put off by the current range of the Leaf already fall well within the daily driving needs already. ...

I do fall into that category. I wish the Leaf range was longer but my average daily commute is only around 20 miles. For my commute, it is totally fine. Absolutely no issue with it.

But it's those trips outside of my commute that get tricky. For the first year of my lease, it was sort of "fun" to figure out if I could make it round trip. But now, that novelty has worn off. I just want to get into the car and now worry about it. With the current range for any destination 35 miles+ away, I have figure out if there is a charger near my destination, and whether it's available, if I have to right "charging" card (eVgo, Blink, Chargepoint, Semacharge, etc) on me, and an extra hour or so of time to charge.

Like I said before, for 85-95% of my trips it is a great car. But for rest, it can be a pain. I don't see how longer range will do anything but benefit sales. I think Nissan would be smart to sell a Leaf with the current range (inexpensive option) and one with an extended range.

Back