Los Angeles Metro Area Leafers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jon Beard at Cerritos Nissan said that they will "try" to match Fontana Nissan's $1000 below MSRP. Gina Campbell of Duarte Nissan (in the San Gabriel Valley) stated that they WILL match Fontana Nissan's $1,000 off MSRP.
Both sent me a personal e-mail today. I have not ordered- I am a September order LEAF member.

I ordered with Gina Campbell at Performance Nissan. $1000 under MSRP and very nice to work with!

The folks at Fontana have been so nice to work with and so exemplary at keeping me in the loop, that I will order from them when my slot comes up in September regardless of whether or not a dealer closer to me decides to match their deal.

Tom

JPC2822 said:
Jon Beard at Cerritos Nissan said that they will "try" to match Fontana Nissan's $1000 below MSRP. Gina Campbell of Duarte Nissan (in the San Gabriel Valley) stated that they WILL match Fontana Nissan's $1,000 off MSRP.
Both sent me a personal e-mail today. I have not ordered- I am a September order LEAF member.

I am sticking with Fontana so far.

Although with the 5% off offered up in the SF area I am tempted to make the drive and drag the leaf home on a rented trailer.

If Connell or others would stick their nose out for $1200 off they might steal quite a few from Fontana.

smkettner said:
I am sticking with Fontana so far.
If Connell or others would stick their nose out for $1200 off they might steal quite a few from Fontana.

For some, Connell is so much more convenient. Rather than having to trek 100 miles to Fontana and back. So I don't personally see why they'd need to do anything but match. But, hey, try them...you never know.

Just throwing my two cents in, as a Los Angeles-area potential Leaf owner: I was told back in July that eTec would be contacting me within a few weeks to set up the home assessment, but I have yet to hear anything; Nissan's live help suggests this is typical. My order date had said "September" but as of today says "Pending."

Does anyone have experience with Universal or Miller Nissan, both in the San Fernando Valley, and their Leaf price quotes?

daveowenville said:
Does anyone have experience with Universal or Miller Nissan, both in the San Fernando Valley, and their Leaf price quotes?

I don't think anyone on the forum placed orders with Universal or Miller. There was a thread about how Universal told someone they were charging $5,000 over MSRP. I suggest you call around to dealerships and get a quote firmed up with them before you place your order (fyi, I live in Santa Monica and ended up going with Fontana--they're 68 miles away but will deliver for free and they offered me a fair price under MSRP).

daveowenville said:
Just throwing my two cents in, as a Los Angeles-area potential Leaf owner: I was told back in July that eTec would be contacting me within a few weeks to set up the home assessment, but I have yet to hear anything; Nissan's live help suggests this is typical. My order date had said "September" but as of today says "Pending."

Same boat here - Nissan told me that they'd be contacting me soon. We'll see...

Yeah, stay away from Universal. They are price gouging the naive buyers out there. I ordered from Duarte at $1000 off - they are only half as far as Fontana. Talk to Gina Campbell there. You can tell her Danny sent you.

When I called about three weeks ago they were both unresponsive and downright arrogant that I would have the audacity to ask for less than msrp. They were immediately crossed off my list.

Tom

daveowenville said:
J

HHEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! September order- COMPLETE! I went with Danny at Fontana- he called me and I said OK! He is a great business guy! :D
How could I say "NO"?

I have been on "need more info" hold for free charger, and today I received an email today from ECOtality with subject line "Status of your Leaf Charger - O" offering a free home assessment. I am a Sept reservation. Anyone else in the LA group receiving these?

I also received an email today from Ecotality, offering the free home assessment.

And thanks for the feedback on Universal and Miller, folks -- I'll just skip them (I have other reasons to skip them as well, as a past Nissan owner) and go right to Fontana when the time comes. Based on my past experiences, I'm not at all surprised they're trying to gouge.

Umbrella said:
I have been on "need more info" hold for free charger, and today I received an email today from ECOtality with subject line "Status of your Leaf Charger - O" offering a free home assessment. I am a Sept reservation. Anyone else in the LA group receiving these?

Yes, see posts in ETEC pending thread.

Anybody know about discounts for electricity yet? I heard that LADWP is going to offer a 2.5c/kwh rate for off-peak charging. Actually I'm not sure if they're going to charge 2.5c/kwh or if it's a 2.5 cent DISCOUNT per kwh. My normal (tier 2) rate is 8.5 cents.

1kwh = approx. 4 Leaf miles
so @ 2.5c, that's just over a half cent per mile! Pretty good :)

At 8.5c/kwh the Leaf will cost a little over 2 cents per mile. I get about 400 miles per 30 dollar tank in my Prius. That works out to 7.5c/mile. Leaf FTW!

P.S. I really like the idea of going 100 miles for about $0.60.

P.P.S. - I found this little tidbit online interesting:
Q: Will charging EVs call for extra electricity to be generated, thus requiring burning more fossil fuels?
A: Charging up an electric car at night does not necessarily have to consume extra power from the grid or require the burning of more fossil fuels. Between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., excess energy may be wasted on the grid network because it has nowhere to go other than to continue traveling around the grid transmission line infrastructure, gradually becoming dissipated in the form of heat.

Fascinating rebuttal, gary.

By the way, it's a 2.5 cent DISCOUNT off regular rates, but at off peak hours that could still put you at around 3 cents/kwh. Pretty darn good. Did you know in Connecticut they pay 19 cents per kwh?

WWBD said:
P.P.S. - I found this little tidbit online interesting:
Q: Will charging EVs call for extra electricity to be generated, thus requiring burning more fossil fuels?
A: Charging up an electric car at night does not necessarily have to consume extra power from the grid or require the burning of more fossil fuels. Between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., excess energy may be wasted on the grid network because it has nowhere to go other than to continue traveling around the grid transmission line infrastructure, gradually becoming dissipated in the form of heat.

I see that this quote above is from the Las Vegas Review-Journal article

http://www.lvrj.com/drive/don-t-be-fooled-by-electric-vehicle-myths--part-two-102135944.html?ref=944

Just want to point out that the answer above is really way off base. The fact is that in order for the electric transmission / distribution grid to be stable at any given moment in time, generation must always equal consumption exactly to have a power system frequency of 60Hz. There is no such thing as excess energy on the grid, because generation (production) always equals consumption or the frequency will deviate from 60Hz and the grid operators work hard for that not to happen.

However, what can be said is that some of the generating plants that are operational in the wee morning hours have extra headroom, meaning that a 150MW plant may be operating at 25 MW and can be ramped up for additional production without turning on more units. That type of a statement I could go for...But not the whole energy being dissipated in the form of heat statement.

Back