Main battery vs 12v battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pksd1

I am sure this has been discussed/documented somewhere before, but I can't seem to find it.....

What components in the car draw from the main battery and which ones draw from the 12v battery. I am sure the motor, A/C, heat, headlights come from the main battery, and the computer draws power from the 12v battery. But how about radio, interior lights, tail lights, accessory plug etc ?

pksd1 said:
I am sure this has been discussed/documented somewhere before, but I can't seem to find it.....

What components in the car draw from the main battery and which ones draw from the 12v battery. I am sure the motor, A/C, heat, headlights come from the main battery, and the computer draws power from the 12v battery. But how about radio, interior lights, tail lights, accessory plug etc ?

From the manual:
The 12-volt battery provides power to the vehicle systems and features such as the audio system, supplemental restraint systems, headlights and windshield wipers.

I think the energy consumption screen gives a clue:

1. Motor
2. Climate control (Resistance heating element, HVAC compressor)
3. Other systems (probably the power going through the DC/DC converter)

Think of a traditional ICE vehicle.

Everything the LEAF has that would be powered from the 12V system in an ICE vehicle is powered by the 12V system in the LEAF. Everything the LEAF has that would be powered from the engine in an ICE vehicle is powered by the traction battery in the LEAF.

That should pretty much cover it. If there is an exception to that rule of thumb I'd be surprised.
=Smidge=

Back