Making it home after purchase of Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
Since they'd use plasticizing agents in the paint to make it more flexible on the bumper, I don't think they'd heat-cure it. I don't know what paints are used these days, but when I installed a new bumper on my old Civic Si and painted it, I sure didn't use heat to cure it. In any case, it's better to avoid the risk.

Some body shops prefer to blend the paint to adjacent panels to make the repair less noticeable, as the original paint may have faded slightly depending on the age of the car, whether it's been garaged, and even the particular color. Since the adjacent panels are all metal, if they use this method they might use heat-curing if the paint they used requires it.

It's best to verify what the body shop will do, since widespread adoption of EVs is relatively new and some body shops may not yet have had one in their shop.

So I take it I can't order a pre-painted bumper? I was thinking about ordering one myself and installing it since I can provide the color of the car.... ? Or maybe even buy the part myself, take it to the body shop for painting before I even install it?

kevmk81 said:
So I take it I can't order a pre-painted bumper? I was thinking about ordering one myself and installing it since I can provide the color of the car.... ?

Unless it's for something like a Smart whose color is impregnated into the panels, no.

Or maybe even buy the part myself, take it to the body shop for painting before I even install it?

You can, but again depending on how well your car was treated by the previous owner and how much sun exposure it got, the newly painted part may not match the original paint 100%. If you're OK with that, then this method is fine.

FWIW here's an article on why body shops need to blend a newly painted part into adjacent panels: https://www.autobody-review.com/blog/why-does-a-body-shop-have-to-paint-undamaged-areas-of-a-car-if-they-can-match-the-paint

First off, when the car was produced the bumper covers were painted separately with a different paint with flex additive. If you look closely you can almost always see difference in paint between the bumper covers and body panels on brand new cars.

My pearl white Leaf, Pearl white Lexus and Champagne Lexus all have slightly noticeable difference in factory original painted bumper covers and adjacent body panels.

Routinely good body shops remove and paint bumper covers off the car. Then they bake the bumper cover before installing it on the car.

When painting door panels, fender panels, hood etc, yes blending into adjacent panel is nessesary most times, unless it was a spot repair not near the seam.

RonDawg said:
kevmk81 said:
Turns out the rear bumper has a crack in it - so at some point I will be getting that replaced. I might do it myself though. Buy the part and install myself... anyone have experience in that?

I have not done this myself, but FYI when you have the bumper painted, make sure either the body shop does it while the bumper is OFF the car, or that the body shop has a qualified shop remove the traction battery before the car is put into the paint booth to be heat-cured. heat-curing the entire car with the battery still in place will cause even further degradation.

^ ^ ^ THIS

I had my rear bumper replaced for ~$700. They ordered the part beforehand so they only had my car for a day. They painted the bumper separately (was able to color-match since they had my car) and then put it on. Did a great job.

Always remember, It could have been worse: you made it home without getting stranded (and probably learned a lot about the car in the process).

Back