Manzanita EVenture - winter travel log

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowthom

Hello,
Decided to take the Leaf to the Manzanita beach house this weekend. Had to double back after a few minutes following a call from my wife asking me to pick up the stuff she forgot. Drove to the Banks AV DCQC at Jim’s Thriftway to charge to 100%. Went into the store and bought a couple things to munch on and thanked them for the charge service. I knew it was going to be a stretch with my 2 year old battery so I chose to travel at 55 mph (speed limit) which was not a problem cuz’ most everybody else was at the same speed. Got passed a couple times by those guys, you know who they are. By the time I reached the coast range summit the GOM read 14 miles (with 17 to go) but it was mostly down hill and I thought no sweat. It’s now dark and foggy and I’m closing in on Cannon Beach but both the car GPS and my iPhone google map are way off on my locale. Had to turn on some CC defrost to help me find the RV park sign and stopped a couple times to double check. LBW came on while I was still a couple miles away from the turn off. Once I spotted the sign and made the left turn I could see the bright green welcoming glow of the AV DCQC. It’s a little hard to find under those conditions as it is off the main road a ways. Arrived with a flashing 4 on the GOM which dropped to “---“ while I was parking close enough to the EVSE’s. It didn't like my fob so I called customer service and after a reset it worked fine. I charged to 9 bars even though I only had 15 miles to go because I wanted some heat and defrost. Arrived at the house after 3:30 minutes on the road. When I pulled out the brick to charge up I realized I had left my extra adapters at home. Note to self: NEVER LEAVE THE ADAPTERS BEHIND. Had to trickle charge while there, which limited some running around I had to do. It’s 50 miles round trip to Seaside or Tillamook if I need something which I can only get in a larger town (Radio Shack, Fred Meyers etc).

I completed the repairs to the house, the reason I was there, while the family enjoyed hanging out on the beach when the rain let up for a while. Some things didn’t get done cuz’ I chose not to venture out for the reasons above.

I trickle charged to 100% Sunday afternoon and departed around 4:30. I stopped at Cannon Beach to top up the battery. It only needed 2 bars worth but I expected to use more power going back to Portland because of the altitude difference. It still cost $2.50 for that 3.72 kWh but I knew I would need it. It’s much colder and raining now. At least it’s still daylight and not as foggy. As I approach the coast range summit the temp has fallen to 33*F and it’s starting to snow. I’m wondering if I’m going to make it as the GOM drops faster than I expected. YES, there were moments of “range anxiety” but I got behind a car traveling at 45~50 mph and decided it would be good to stay there. Hey, now it’s not my fault traffic was being impeded. We both pulled over to let some cars pass and I took off at 55 mph guessing I could make it to Banks now. GOM showed 14 with 14 to go half of which still had some down hill grade. I got the LBW at 8 on the GOM and still a mile out from Banks. I arrived at the AV DCQC with 8 still flashing on the GOM. The AV was ICE’d almost, there was a truck and travel trailer parked there but I squeezed in diagonally which left him blocked by me at the front and by another car behind the trailer. I went into the store to thank them again then sat and waited for the inevitable confrontation. The car behind the trailer left before the truck driver returned so off they went with a little jockeying. I ran the heater to warm up the car cuz’ my fingers was froze after leaving the window cracked open to keep the windows defogged (@ 33* burrrrrrrrrrr). The rest of the drive home was uneventful cruising along @ 60 mph with the heat and radio on, ahhhhhh luxury!

Trip Stats:

MANZANITA BOUND
Departed SE PDX at 6:55
Arrived Banks at 7:34 (drive 39 min - 30.4 miles @ 60 mph - 6b – no CC 55*)
Departed Banks at 8:24 (50 min charge - 8.39 kWh - 5 batt temp bars)
Arrived Cannon Beach at 9:40 (drive 1:16 min @ 55 mph – no CC 45* - 4 GOM - LBW)
Departed cannon beach at 10:03 (23 min charge 9b – 13.55 kWh - 6 batt temp bars)
Arrived Manzanita house at 10:27 (drive 24 min @ 50~55 mph - CC – 44 GOM)
Total trip time 3:30 min

RETURN TRIP
Departed Manzanita house at 4:25 (light rain 45*F)
Arrived Cannon Beach at 4:51 (drive 26 min @ 55 mph – CC – 45* rain)
Departed Cannon Beach at 5:34 (43 min charge – 3.72 kWh – 5 batt temp bars)
Arrived Banks at 6:45 (drive 1:11 min @ 50~55 mph - no CC – 33* snow – 8 GOM – LBW)
Departed Banks at 7:19 (34 min charge – 15.26 kWh - 10b – 6 batt temp bars)
Arrived home @ 8:04 (drive 45 min @ 60 mph – CC – 45* dry – 6b)

ON EDIT:
excel sheet
ManzanitaChart_zps172e5143.jpg

Back