Maximizing Range

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luft

If I want to get the most miles possible in one day and I had a choice of traveling along the interstate at 60 without stopping or along a highway at 50 but sometimes with stop and go traffic which would be better?

I know it's a difficult question to answer with a lot of factors but I would just like to get a "feel" for it. I'll be getting my LEAF this fall or winter and next summer I want to try an extended trip.

Because of the long charging times, I feel it is best to go as slow as possible but I would like to avoid creating road rage. I'm thinking of traveling slower roads but I don't know how much stop and go will kill my range. Will it kill it more than the slow speed will give me?

I've got the think you'll do better on the slower highway. Of course, if you jack rabbit from stop to stop, or are stopping every 25 ft. it could be worse than the interstate. The difference between 50 and 60 is pretty significant, however, and the LEAF regen handles traffic pretty well. That said, there's nothing better than experience, and I encourage you to try them both and report back, as soon as you can!

ya, best thing is to try it. also check the route. frequently surface streets are shorter more direct route. as far as stops; they can be a killer but usually roads with that high a speed limit are easier to time lights.

definitely would do eco mode on the surface streets to take advantage of changes in traffic flow.

Luft said:
If I want to get the most miles possible in one day and I had a choice of traveling along the interstate at 60 without stopping or along a highway at 50 but sometimes with stop and go traffic which would be better?

Definitely hwy at 50. All you have to do is time your lights (when you can) and coast (power light in the center) by easing off the accelerator (hypermiling).

Luft said:

My guess is it will depend on use of climate control:
stop&go @ 50mph with climate control OFF is probably max range
steady @ 60mph with climate control ON is probably max range

Here is another question: what is the optimal speed on a level road with absolutely no traffic and travel time is not an issue?

MikeD said:
Here is another question: what is the optimal speed on a level road with absolutely no traffic and travel time is not an issue?

I hear that it is 38 mph. It is suppose to let you go a bit over 130 miles.

MikeD said:

I believe that the 138 mile at 38 mph estimate of maximum range, as well as the other range estimates given by Nissan almost a year ago, are very close to my own (short-term) experience.

As to Luft's earlier question, I think lower speed will almost always be the most significant "range extender" for the LEAF. In my 245 mile (over 18 hours) drive home from the dealer, my longest leg was 90 (very flat, no climate control) miles, Davis CA to Chico, 2 lane county roads and highway, average driving speed about 50 mph, with lots of "stop and go". I was pleasantly surprised to have 2 bars and 13 miles showing (from initial 100% charge) when I got there. A large proportion of the energy used in acceleration is clearly recaptured, under gentle braking in traffic.

I'm still not clear on what proportion I can regen on the steep roads in my area, and this has been what I've found hardest to extrapolate from other's reports.

On by first round-trip to Redding yesterday (57 miles, including a few short rides to friends) I started with 100% charge, so I could not utilize much regen on the first ten miles, with about 2000 ft (about 1500 net) of descent. I used 3 bars for the first half of the trip, and six for the return.

I recharged to 80%. This only took 12.1 kWh on L1 as measured by kill-o-watt. So next trip, I will get all the regen from the descent, and finally determine if 80% charging is fully practical for my 50-60 mile RT Oak Run to Redding "commute".

The elevations really throw a wrench into the calculations. But I would definitely try it if I were u. Really hate to see all that potential energy gone to waste!!

Back