Most common LEAF service issue in first 3 yrs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Futura

So, I've driven the LEAF and was amazed by it's sonic attenuation; i.e. very quiet.
While we're all worried about battery issues, I'm guessing the one thing that will drive the service techs batty is the number of owners who come in and say "well, it's making this funny noise".

I've owned an EV and the problem I found is the background noise is so low that I hear all the other noises all the time... power steering pumps, brake vacuum pumps, inverter noises.

So, what say you... what will be the number one service issue on the LEAF in the first 3 yrs?

Futura said:
So, I've driven the LEAF and was amazed by it's sonic attenuation; i.e. very quiet.
While we're all worried about battery issues, I'm guessing the one thing that will drive the service techs batty is the number of owners who come in and say "well, it's making this funny noise".

I've owned an EV and the problem I found is the background noise is so low that I hear all the other noises all the time... power steering pumps, brake vacuum pumps, inverter noises.

So, what say you... what will be the number one service issue on the LEAF in the first 3 yrs?

LOL, not ALL of us are worried about the batteries. I'm going to say the number one service issue/maintenance will be the yearly battery check-up.

LEAFfan said:
I'm going to say the number one service issue/maintenance will be the yearly battery check-up.
Nissan will likely be monitoring the battery pack performance closely via Carwings... I'm guessing in the first few months of next year they'll get more data than they've gotten during years of testing. Hopefully, the battery packs will perform as they predict, but I'm sure they'll learn a thing or two. In an extreme case, they might call or email to have cars brought in to fix a problem we, the drivers, haven't even noticed.

Needs more windshield wiper fluid.

Nissan is pretty good about body squeaks and rattles. I hope they get it right the first time.

(I probably shouldn't say it, but my first and only GM rattled like Colossus after two years.)

GroundLoop said:
Needs more windshield wiper fluid.

Nissan is pretty good about body squeaks and rattles. I hope they get it right the first time.

(I probably shouldn't say it, but my first and only GM rattled like Colossus after two years.)

How about "It needs more cowbell" for the audio? :lol:

Wiper blades! After a few months wiper blade tend to make that squeal noise. In a quiet car like the LEAF, it will drive you nuts! Rain-X on the windshield helps.

indyflick said:
Wiper blades! After a few months wiper blade tend to make that squeal noise. In a quiet car like the LEAF, it will drive you nuts! Rain-X on the windshield helps.

Wipers after a few months?! Do you live in seattle and use the wipers every day? I just changed the front windshield wipers on my Prius for the first time since I bought it. I've owned the car for 7 years.
(I do live in Los Angeles and don't use them very much (but they do get alot of sun/UV exposure))

-Peter

prberg said:
indyflick said:

Wipers after a few months?! Do you live in seattle and use the wipers every day? I just changed the front windshield wipers on my Prius for the first time since I bought it. I've owned the car for 7 years.
(I do live in Los Angeles and don't use them very much (but they do get alot of sun/UV exposure))

-Peter

They don't last long here in AZ either, and I hardly use them.

Tires will be the # 1 issue (besides technical questions on nav and charge timer setup)

tires are always an issue on quiet cars and you can bet if the tires become noisy you will hear it a bunch.

i would imagine general maintenance would involve insuring that range anxiety is addressed. having driven a Prius which gives u feedback on your driving permance continuously, one key thing is tire pressure. that adds 1-4 mpg.

the other would be visual inspections of the battery connectors and cabling.

then comes the "critical" issues

insuring windshield wiper fluid is topped off.
all the speakers on the stereo are putting out crisp clear audio
floor mats clear of loose debris

kmp647 said:
Tires will be the # 1 issue (besides technical questions on nav and charge timer setup)

tires are always an issue on quiet cars and you can bet if the tires become noisy you will hear it a bunch.
Speaking of tires...how much will it cost to replace them? Are they some special (super expensive) tires to make the car more light weight?

it will be interesting what the mechanics come up with. As a single girl, bringing my car to the mechanic over the years has been a nightmare (and my mechanic a few years back was busted on an undercover hidden-camera report on Channel 2 news!). They look at you and just see dollar signs. I can't wait until the first one tries to sell me some trans. flush. :lol:

malloryk said:
it will be interesting what the mechanics come up with. As a single girl, bringing my car to the mechanic over the years has been a nightmare (and my mechanic a few years back was busted on an undercover hidden-camera report on Channel 2 news!). They look at you and just see dollar signs. I can't wait until the first one tries to sell me some trans. flush. :lol:
It will be for a one year or whatever system check up for $590. They will perform the check while they go out on lunch break :roll:

smkettner said:
It will be for a one year or whatever system check up for $590. They will perform the check while they go out on lunch break :roll:

exactly! and if I say no, they'll try to scare me with their FUD tactics.... "oh well if you don't get it done, the whole battery pack is gonna fall out of the car and it'll cost you thousands of dollars to fix..."

LEAFfan said:
They don't last long here in AZ either, and I hardly use them.

ya, same with any rubber product, dont use them they lose effectiveness much faster. i also live in rainy WA and use wipers A LOT, have a 2006 Prius, wipers are just fine. havent replaced a wiper in probably a good 10 years and that was on 21 year old car.

Back