Moved on to a Kia Niro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NyNewLeaf

I really appreciate this forum. It helped me as a newbie Leaf owner and also helped me figure out everything I needed to do the level 2 charge port replacement on my 2015 leaf. Please DM me if you want to ask a question about that or anything related to that. I know I wasn't super regular here but unless someone wants to hear about my experiences driving a Niro then I will be glad to share.

James

Sure. Is yours an S+ or and SL or SV plus? I do understand the niro is pretty efficient but I'm interesting to see once I get the regen braking right what I get on this 21 niro.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Let us know the efficiency you get with the car. When I rented a 23 Niro, if felt just modestly less efficient than my Leaf Plus.
Surprisingly my awd ev6 is more efficient than the 20 leaf sl plus I have as a loaner. Leaf has michelin tires so it's not the tires or the pressure. My same routes are 3.5 to 3.7 miles per kwh on the ev6 and 3.3 on the leaf

mitrals said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
Let us know the efficiency you get with the car. When I rented a 23 Niro, if felt just modestly less efficient than my Leaf Plus.
Surprisingly my awd ev6 is more efficient than the 20 leaf sl plus I have as a loaner. Leaf has michelin tires so it's not the tires or the pressure. My same routes are 3.5 to 3.7 miles per kwh on the ev6 and 3.3 on the leaf
The EV6 and Leaf both have a CoD of 0.28, so it would come down to tires, driving style, weight, etc. The EV6 starts at 4,000 lbs up to 4,800 lbs and the Leaf starts at 3,500 lbs up to 4,000 lbs
A sorta fair comparison would be the 58 kWh EV6 and the 60 kWh Leaf+ and yes the tires and air pressure do make a big difference if they are not the same. You can find plenty of topics here where we compare different tire brands to efficiency readings from repeated test trips. The bigger the battery, the less you tend to care about the tires, but anyone that was driving the Gen 1 Leafs with the limited 24 kWh battery packs know the big difference that good Eco and properly inflated tires can make. ;)

mitrals said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

So you've concluded that the Niro is less than 10% more efficient that the Leaf? Critical are the comparative vehicle
driving modes used. For your tests, you determined them? You reassured that the driving conditions were identical,
e.g. traffic, time of day, weather? Given the small difference, you repeated the test multiple times, e.g. > 5X, right?

Lorenfb, are you referring to the EV6 comment with the 10% measurement delta, or my comment where I just said mildly (so suggested measurement) by pure feel as I was on a business trip and could not do side by side?

DougWantsALeaf said:
Lorenfb, are you referring to the EV6 comment with the 10% measurement delta, or my comment where I just said mildly (so suggested measurement) by pure feel as I was on a business trip and could not do side by side?

Yes, sorry for the confusion. But without a controlled comparative test, it not uncommon for others to post similar claims
about BEV efficiencies.

lorenfb said:
mitrals said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

So you've concluded that the Niro is less than 10% more efficient that the Leaf? Critical are the comparative vehicle
driving modes used. For your tests, you determined them? You reassured that the driving conditions were identical,
e.g. traffic, time of day, weather? Given the small difference, you repeated the test multiple times, e.g. > 5X, right?

Same route, same time, same Temps. I alternate cars everyday and do the same routine daily. This has been ongoing since May 23

mitrals said:
lorenfb said:
mitrals said:

Same route, same time, same Temps. I alternate cars everyday and do the same routine daily. This has been ongoing since May 23

It's about as silly as this thread, "So, owners what range are you getting?", claiming one BEV is more efficient than another when
there're so many variables and the delta is less than 10%.

knightmb said:
The EV6 and Leaf both have a CoD of 0.28, so it would come down to tires, driving style, weight, etc.
Insofar as air drag is concerned, frontal area would be the difference

lorenfb said:
mitrals said:
lorenfb said:

It's about as silly as this thread, "So, owners what range are you getting?", claiming one BEV is more efficient than another when

It's my personal experience. Never said it is scientific. My bolt used to easily do 4.0 kwh in similar conditions.

mitrals said:
lorenfb said:
mitrals said:

It's my personal experience. Never said it is scientific. My bolt used to easily do 4.0 kwh in similar conditions.

My Leaf typically does over 5.0, so what! I stay under 55 MPH, 50% city driving at <45, no heat/air, tires at 40 psi,
mostly level roads, use B-Mode & ECO, and temp is 60-80 degrees. Quoting efficiency is typically meaningless without
the known variables.

lorenfb said:
My Leaf typically does over 5.0, so what! I stay under 55 MPH, 50% city driving at <45, no heat/air, tires at 40 psi,
mostly level roads, use B-Mode & ECO, and temp is 60-80 degrees. Quoting efficiency is typically meaningless without
the known variables.

So true

Back