My Experiments With Turtle

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
Can one eat at Claire's while parking at the train station?

Or, can one go on a train trip while parked at Claire's?

As stanley pointed out, yes, you can park at the train station, or on the street further north. Parking in Claire's proper when not dining there wouldn't be as neighborly - in fact they don't have a lot of parking on their lot ( purposely - they want to encourage people to bike, walk (from the train or elsewhere), carpool or whatever, and use the limited space they have for their native (and/or edible) landscaping, bike racks etc.) But it would be just splendid to pull into the restaurant and get some L2 from their solar panels while enjoying a stack of their excellent pancakes.

The first priority for chargers should be the train station itself, and yes some L3 there would be good - if nothing else so more cars could be cycled through their charging cycles. The idea of having L2 or allowing L1 at the restaurant would, I think, be more as a marketing device for them than as a key part of the transportation infrastructure.

garygid said:
If you start L3 (QC) charging (at the train station, etc), and go away (to dinner, etc.) for an hour, is there any way to STOP the LEAF from charging to 100%?
Yes, discharge the battery below 50% before quick charging. Then once it reaches 90% it will automatically turn off! :D

The turtle didn't show up !! The "remaining milage" was 0, after driving 80 miles at 65 mph all freeway. I checked my Coulomb ChargePoint report and saw my LEAF took 23.899 kWh (The pack is 24kWh). Why am I not getting the turtle?

Here is the entry on my ChargePoint driver report:
Start Time: 2011-02-09 19:04:53 (PST)
End Time: 2011-02-10 06:00:59 (PST)
Energy (kWh): 23.899
Green House Gases Saved (kg): 33.961
Occupied Time: 10:56:06

evnow said:
waidy said:
There were NO bar left, not even the red (the two red bars were gone).
Did you get battery low ?

Anyway, you should report to Nissan.

Yes, I got battery low. I will report to Nissan. Is there a bug report website at Nissan or do I just tell the Sales guy?

waidy said:
evnow said:
waidy said:
There were NO bar left, not even the red (the two red bars were gone).
Did you get battery low ?

Anyway, you should report to Nissan.

Yes, I got battery low. I will report to Nissan. Is there a bug report website at Nissan or do I just tell the Sales guy?

I forgot to mention that today my LEAF arrived at my garage with 9 miles left, 2 red bars left, with battery low indicator. STILL, NO TURTLE (I want my turtle!!!). I will know how much kWh it used for this 89 miles all freeway trip after it's done charging. The different between this 80 miles and the last 80 miles is using different freeways (280 vs. 101).

waidy said:
I will know how much kWh it used for this 89 miles all freeway trip after it's done charging. The different between this 80 miles and the last 80 miles is using different freeways (280 vs. 101).
Wow - so all freeway (65 mph?) you got 89 miles ? That is very good. Did you use climate control ? I think this is the highest highway range I've seen anyone report.

ps : Not sure what others are doing. One thing would be to report to your dealer - they should report back to Nissan. You can also call usual Leaf CSR and report, I guess.

waidy said:
The turtle didn't show up !! The "remaining milage" was 0, after driving 80 miles at 65 mph all freeway. I checked my Coulomb ChargePoint report and saw my LEAF took 23.899 kWh (The pack is 24kWh). Why am I not getting the turtle?

if the 23.899 is what you put in from the wall and assuming 90% efficiency then you would used 21.5 Kwh and would have had some left over.

either way, that is excellent performance. what was the elevation change? i only get 3.3 -3.7 DMPK which only translates to 70-80 miles of range.

evnow said:
waidy said:
I will know how much kWh it used for this 89 miles all freeway trip after it's done charging. The different between this 80 miles and the last 80 miles is using different freeways (280 vs. 101).
Wow - so all freeway (65 mph?) you got 89 miles ? That is very good. Did you use climate control ? I think this is the highest highway range I've seen anyone report.

ps : Not sure what others are doing. One thing would be to report to your dealer - they should report back to Nissan. You can also call usual Leaf CSR and report, I guess.
Thaks for the advise. Both drives have climate control on, ECO drive on (all the way). Here is my ChargePoint report on the last drive (9 miles left)

Start Time: 2011-02-11 18:49:59 (PST)
End Time: 2011-02-12 01:52:39 (PST)
Energy (kwH): 21.982
Green House Gases Saved (kg): 31.237
Occupied Time: 07:02:53

DaveinOlyWA said:
waidy said:

if the 23.899 is what you put in from the wall and assuming 90% efficiency then you would used 21.5 Kwh and would have had some left over.

either way, that is excellent performance. what was the elevation change? i only get 3.3 -3.7 DMPK which only translates to 70-80 miles of range.
I live up in the hill (770 elevation). It takes 2.5 miles downhill to get to 280. The designation on the this drive is San Francisco (same as the second drive). After driving 2.5 downhill I took 280 to San Franciso to the Moscone Garage. I came back the same way using 280. Total distance is exactly 80 miles.
The second drive (where I have 9 miles left), outbound via 280, inbound via 101. There was an extra 9 miles used if I take 101 back.
Driving behaviors are same on both drives.
What is DMPK

waidy said:
Both drives have climate control on, ECO drive on (all the way).

ECO mode on explains a lot.

I had figured 72-84 miles @ 65mph, on a full charge in D with no CC on, based on my own experience that I can get 6-7 miles per SOC bar routinely. Actually, I've got as much as 7.3 miles per bar, but my recollection is of having to be really well behaved to achieve that.

DMPK= miles per killowatt from the battery with the "D" meaning DC.

AMPK is charge from the wall. divide the two to get charger efficiency is the plan although it does not appear to be quite that simple.

on my Leaf, i reset the DMPK setting every morning. now, this is separate from the range estimate since it gives u what actually happened instead of predicting what might happen with the range estimates which are way off when on the freeway. right now i lose about 15-20% of the range on the freeway.

Thurs, SO did the Centralia trip. this time it was 62-63 Mph coming and going with climate controls on. she did a few side trips so total trip was 64 miles and had 18 miles left when returning home. it was in the mid 20's for the morning trip, low 40's for the evening trip.

besides cabin heat, we also have a seat heater that was running along with her phone which she streams Pandora to for her drive 100% of the time. its a battery hog, so i am guessing it was plugged in at least part of the time

she ended up with 3.7 DMPK.

mwalsh said:
waidy said:
Both drives have climate control on, ECO drive on (all the way).

ECO mode on explains a lot.

I had figured 72-84 miles @ 65mph, on a full charge in D with no CC on, based on my own experience that I can get 6-7 miles per SOC bar routinely. Actually, I've got as much as 7.3 miles per bar, but my recollection is of having to be really well behaved to achieve that.
Did you get the turtle? When does your turtle appear?
In my case, when it gets to the red bar or 17 miles, a voice and display came on and said low mileage; followed by a GPS screen of showing me the available charger location (of course, there were none).

DaveinOlyWA said:

AMPK is charge from the wall. divide the two to get charger efficiency is the plan although it does not appear to be quite that simple.

on my Leaf, i reset the DMPK setting every morning. now, this is separate from the range estimate since it gives u what actually happened instead of predicting what might happen with the range estimates which are way off when on the freeway. right now i lose about 15-20% of the range on the freeway.

Thurs, SO did the Centralia trip. this time it was 62-63 Mph coming and going with climate controls on. she did a few side trips so total trip was 64 miles and had 18 miles left when returning home. it was in the mid 20's for the morning trip, low 40's for the evening trip.

besides cabin heat, we also have a seat heater that was running along with her phone which she streams Pandora to for her drive 100% of the time. its a battery hog, so i am guessing it was plugged in at least part of the time

Thanks for the explanation. I will RTFM so to reset my DMPK in my LEAF. Good idea and Good suggestion.
I love bun warmer but cannot find the bun warmer buttons in my LEAF. I thought the LEAF does not have this feature. Would you tell me where are the buttons? (or I could ask my sales guy)
I will report my DMPK (actual, after reset) next time.

waidy said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Thanks for the explanation. I will RTFM so to reset my DMPK in my LEAF. Good idea and Good suggestion.
I love bun warmer but cannot find the bun warmer buttons in my LEAF. I thought the LEAF does not have this feature. Would you tell me where are the buttons? (or I could ask my sales guy)
I will report my DMPK (actual, after reset) next time.

bunwarmer= christmas present. btw, also has back, lumbar and thigh vibration. actually pretty fricking cool!!

only wish it did not come in black...quite a contrast from my tan interior, but i like it anyway

obtw; reading manual will not help with acronyms. they are ones i made up in a thread simply because i am a lazy typist. problem is i am on computer average of 7-8 a day at work (10 hour shift) and its all abbreviations. sometimes its hard for me to convert back to the real world

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2515

**edit** on resets, i do both trip and DMPK. the trip reset is the button on dash lower left. press and hold a few seconds to reset. i use trip B for daily, trip A for weekly.

reseting DMPK; hit "aero emmison, then energy usage, energy economy.

waidy said:
I forgot to mention that today my LEAF arrived at my garage with 9 miles left, 2 red bars left, with battery low indicator. STILL, NO TURTLE (I want my turtle!!!).

Drive farther. :)

Back