My first commute to/from work in my Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drees said:
jcesare said:
El Camino Real through Rancho Santa Fe exiting at Del Mar Heights Rd. When the freeway is backed up, I tend to take this route. The other day I was on it and was trying to compare it to the coastal bluffs and hills along I-5. It appears to me to follow the river beds and lagoon areas and doesn't contain a lot of grades.
In my opinion, that route is just as hilly as I5...

If you have to take Encinitas west back to I5 you'll have two decent hills to go over to get there.

But I think taking streets vs freeway would gives you an option to slow down. On I-5 you will have to climb and maintain 65mph, I am sure it will hurt the rage quite a bit.

For my commute from Rancho Penasquitos to Point Loma I plan on using Kearny Villa road (vs I-15) if range becomes an issue. It might increase my commute time by 5 minutes, but at least I won't be looking in the rear view mirror all the time.

drees said:
In my opinion, that route is just as hilly as I5...

That route is 12.5 miles with total northbound elevation gain of 509 ft. and total elevation loss of 451 ft.

Code:
altitude	location
233	I5 & Del Mar Heights
220	El Camino Real & Del Mar Heights
55	El Camino Real & San Dieguito
15	San Dieguito & Via de la Valle
77	El Camino Real & Sun Valley
253	El Camino Real & Lomas Santa Fe
20	El Camino Real & La Orilla
139	El Camino Real & Stowbridge
291	Rancho Santa Fe & Manchester

The highway is actually a bit less hilly, though faster. It is 7.3 miles with elevation gain of 402 ft. and loss of 344 ft.

Code:
altitude	location
233	I5 & Del Mar Heights
216	I5 & overlook park
13	I5 & San Dieguito Lagoon
132	I5 & Lomas Santa Fe
8	I5 & Manchester
55	Manchester & El Camino Real

And the winning route is to go over to the coast highway. That route is 10.3 miles with elevation gain of 342 ft. and loss of 284 ft. There your range even has the added "benefit" of some 25 MPH speed limits and stop signs every few blocks. ;)

Code:
altitude	location
233	I5 & Del Mar Heights
222	Hwy 101 & Del Mar Heights
9	Hwy 101 & San Dieguito Lagoon
74	Hwy 101 & Lomas Santa Fe
14	Hwy 101 & San Elijo Lagoon
54	Hwy 101 & Manchester

Actually I had hoped that the Leaf's NAV system would do this sort of thing for you, also taking into account real time traffic conditions, and offer you the most energy efficient route all things considered, which meets your time constraints. Ah well, maybe in next year's software update...

pksd1 said:
But I think taking streets vs freeway would gives you an option to slow down. On I-5 you will have to climb and maintain 65mph, I am sure it will hurt the rage quite a bit.

For my commute from Rancho Penasquitos to Point Loma I plan on using Kearny Villa road (vs I-15) if range becomes an issue. It might increase my commute time by 5 minutes, but at least I won't be looking in the rear view mirror all the time.

You might get some strange stares on Kearny Villa Rd. I drive my blue Leaf to work each day, and I work on Kearny Villa Rd, right by Mirimar Rd. I'm sure someone from my workplace will see you and think you're me.
:lol:

Jimmydreams said:
I'm guessing that would give BETTER range than the highway. I take the 5 pretty much religiously, but the times when traffic is backed up, I see MUCH better range. The Leaf definitely likes slower traffic. One of these days (when I have the time to spare) I'll take the coast highway all the way home from work and see how that affects the remaining range when I pull into my driveway. I'll let ya know.. :ugeek:

Jimmy, so what you and Mike are suggesting is that I delay leaving the house on my morning commute (which, starting Monday, will be 33 miles one way with 28 on freeway) so that I get caught in traffic? :p That would be a real switch! But it's not a bad strategy, actually....leave at 7AM, commute takes 37 minutes or leave at 7:20 and it takes 45 but uses less charge. I'll have to try it. Plus I get an extra 20 minutes sleep.

BTW, I use neutral in the Prius a lot--I've found that sweet spot with the pedal where the engine is off but the PS, brakes, etc. still work. I average 51 MPG consistently over a full tank. Won't have to worry about it with the LEAF tho :lol:

DaveinOlyWA said:
walterbays said:

NICE!!

installing now as we speak. i need to do more searching the market. they add nearly 2000 apps a week, tough to keep up on the new cool stuff
------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone know if Nissan has the Android app for the Leaf yet? I don't have and Android phone (currently and iPhone) but thinking of moving my service.

malloryk said:
ERG4ALL said:
The only way we may be able to save a little energy is to preheat the car higher than we would like and when we disconnect to turn the setting cooler. At least until the heater fluid cools down to the new setting we may be able to save a little.

fyi, the car will only pre-heat (or pre-cool depending on the weather) to 77 degrees, you can't adjust that.

Boy I hope they change this by the time they are delivering to the frozen north....55-60 degrees would be about right anything above that is wasted energy in the winter.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone know if Nissan has the Android app for the Leaf yet? I don't have and Android phone (currently and iPhone) but thinking of moving my service.[/quote]

i phone now on verizon, may not need to move. who is your provider?

i am using Moto X on verizon. it requires a 29.99 data plan which you may qualify for a discount depending on your employer. i get 20% so i am paying $24 for data services for unlimited.

i HIGHLY recommend the android but get one of the advanced ones. 4G will be out in 2months or so but dont know pricing yet.

if getting 3G, get the HTC Incredible, Motorola X or Droid 2, or Samsung Facinate. they all have 1 Ghz processors and the speed is VERY noticeable.

this was upgrade from Blackberry and the difference is extreme

DaveinOlyWA said:
i HIGHLY recommend the android but get one of the advanced ones. 4G will be out in 2months or so but dont know pricing yet.

I'm waiting for the Droid Bionic. It's a dual core processor.
http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/motorola-droid-bionic-verizon/4505-6452_7-34468463.html

I think all the 4G phones will have dual core processors. I am getting the bionic as well since it will have 1.25 ghz others will just have 1 ghz

Guys, can we talk more about the Leaf and commute related than the phones? I open this thread when I see new posts only to realize lately its been about the various Android phones in market. :-D

csriram45 said:
Guys, can we talk more about the Leaf and commute related than the phones? I open this thread when I see new posts only to realize lately its been about the various Android phones in market. :-D

Yeah, like I did my first commute to Fremont in the Prius this morning--32.5 miles each way and I-880 was running at 65 going up, and around 60 coming home. I'm figuring this is gonna be a commute consuming 16-18 kWh in the LEAF depending on my speed and driving style. Do the current LEAF commuters doing a similar distance have actual consumption data? There's been a lot of talk of bars remaining, but we actually pay for kWh ;)

BTW, everyone is amazed when I tell them that my daily commute is going to go from $4.50 in the Prius to $1.10 in the LEAF.

Not sure you will have performance that high. I am seeing 3.2-3.5 MPK. Toss in a bit of charger inefficiency and I think your commute will take 20+ kwh from the wall

Back