My insurance quote experience

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
USAA just quoted me $358 for 6 months.

They had never heard of the car, so they asked the purchase price ($35,000) and how many doors (4), and how many cylinders.... 0.

"Oh, is it alternatively fueled?"

Yes, electric. Told them 12,000 miles per year, and conversely, our 18,000 mile per year mini van would go down to 6,000 miles

That was it. Got the quote. Didn't even have a VIN.

They must have added it right after you called Tony,

Cause my quote from USAA came right up as soon as I gave them my VIN. Estimated mileage is about 5000 miles a year, so it will be ~$300.

gasmiser1 said:
Zip code 94070, San Carlos, CA. 100/300/50 coverages, 2 drivers, 4 cars(including Leaf) 10,000 miles a year for Leaf, 30 mile round trip commute, kept in locked garage at night, excellent credit(over 800) $355 every 6 month for Leaf with State Farm.

Irvine CA 92612, 2 drivers, 2 cars, under 7500 mi for LEAF, $270/6 mo.

plankeye said:
I'm with Liberty Mutual and they don't insure EV's yet either. :x Not that it matters to me, since I didn't pre-register, therefore won't get a LEAF for another year or so.

I'm with Liberty Mutual as well and they were able to insure my Leaf when I took delivery a few days ago but the quote was $400 higher than my Prius per year. Emailed my rep - we'll see what happens. (don't have the actual numbers handy right now)

rawhog said:
Got my quote from Allstate yesterday. For comparison, the car I will be dumping is a 1987 Honda Civic SI=$147.00/6 mos. The Leaf will be $190.00/6 mos. Same coverage($0 ded on comp).
So, after I went in to the office to sign zee papers. Lo and behold people here were right. The quote did change. It went down to $158.00/6 mos.

Just got off the phone with our American Family insurance agent:

Sarah O'Connell
13333 Meridian E Ste F
Puyallup, WA 98373-2405.
(253) 845-3038

They did not have the Leaf in their system yet, and could not readily use the VIN to bring up the car, but were able to provide me with a quote:

$64.20/mo or $385.20/6mo (I just did the math) based on the price of the car. ($34,115 she used symbol 34 in her quote) just a few bucks difference from the 08 Jetta we will be trading in.
Our coverage (for 98042 Kent,WA) is:
Bodily injury: 50k/150k
Medical: 10k (driver)
Collision: 50k/100k/25k <--uninsured motorist
$500 deductible
Emergency Roadside assistance included (for the few extra pennys per month, I'll take the double coverage ty), Multiple car discount, auto+home discount adjusted

I have been extremely happy with AmFam over the past 3 years, and their handling of my totalled Prius last summer was commendable. Friendly and fast. A+

I too was really surprised when 21st century quoted me $ 348/ 6 months, full coverage $1million/$500k 2 cars less than 6000 miles year driven, that was $50 less than my old 1999 Ford Truck with just PL/PD coverage. I live in W Los Angeles area

AAA was finally able to figure out that I have a LEAF and not a 370Z (thanks to Adrian and EVDRIVER for the assist), resulting in an INCREASE in my premium by $15. :shock: :?

Kinda wish I'd gone for the 370Z now instead. :roll:

mwalsh said:
AAA was finally able to figure out that I have a LEAF and not a 370Z (thanks to Adrian and EVDRIVER for the assist), resulting in an INCREASE in my premium by $15. :shock: :?

Kinda wish I'd gone for the 370Z now instead. :roll:

Oh my, that's just crazy talk!
With 107-hp / 207 lb-ft tq., I'm suprised they let us drive them off the track as it is.
Not just any driver can handle a car like that.
They have to have at least one functioning eye ... and can reach the pedals ...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My rate for a comparison. IDS Property Casualty (Costco):

Liability + Comp: $380/yr 2011 LEAF

About half the price of the wife's 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid premium. Love it!

21st Century also turned my VIN into a 370Z.

They got it (manually) correct to a Leaf now with no change to the premium.

The joys of getting a brand new model of car...

State Farm correctly had it in their system as a Leaf, and gave me a discount for it. Here in L.A. it worked out to about $800 a year for 300/100, G500, D500, U, UI, and rental car coverage.

mogur said:
State Farm correctly had it in their system as a Leaf, and gave me a discount for it. Here in L.A. it worked out to about $800 a year for 300/100, G500, D500, U, UI, and rental car coverage.
Very similar quote from my Allstate agent here in SD: $395/6 mo., w/ $100/300K coverage, $250 deductible. Gap insurance was another $20.

TT

Farmers gave me $336/6mo for 100/300, 100/250 ded, good old driver, multi-car and home insurance discounts, etc. But, I estimated only 5000 miles usage, and I may need to double that estimate, so the rate would increase.

I don't understand this thread. When you lease a car, which I have never done before, does the lessor cover any part of the insurance? After reading the early posts to this thread, I called Costco (Ameriprise) and they gave me a quote of over $900 for six months for liability, comprehensive, and collision. Where do all these $400 and $500 quotes given here come from?

mileage per year makes the most difference for me. going from $500-1000 deductible only is about an $80 change on $1200 annual rate for maxed-out full coverage.

Back