My insurance quote experience

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Desertstraw said:
I don't understand this thread. When you lease a car, which I have never done before, does the lessor cover any part of the insurance? After reading the early posts to this thread, I called Costco (Ameriprise) and they gave me a quote of over $900 for six months for liability, comprehensive, and collision. Where do all these $400 and $500 quotes given here come from?

I think they are teasing us, or they leave in some suburban zip code, not LA.

Desertstraw said:
I don't understand this thread. When you lease a car, which I have never done before, does the lessor cover any part of the insurance? After reading the early posts to this thread, I called Costco (Ameriprise) and they gave me a quote of over $900 for six months for liability, comprehensive, and collision. Where do all these $400 and $500 quotes given here come from?
I've never heard of a lessor covering any part of the insurance. My $408 (6 months) quote came from Travelers insurance. Go find a good insurance broker (not an insurance agent) and they'll run your information through 10+ insurance companies to come up with the cheapest option.

I can't tell where you live, but if you're in Oregon or Washington I can PM you my broker.

I should be getting the car later this week or early next so I checked with my insurance company to see what the adder would be to my current policy with AMICA. With $500 deductible it comes to $711.04 per year more. Not too bad. The VIN I gave them came up correctly as a Nissan Leaf.

Will take my LEAF delivery tomorrow, and checked with my Farmers insurance agent, the total insurance quote for my LEAF is ~780 per YEAR, and that is with $500 deductible and $500,000 liability, uninsured motorist. It is even 15$ cheaper than my 5 years old Hyundai Sonata :D

Gonewild said:
TRONZ said:
Yes. Our State Farm rate on the 08 Civic Hybrid was $428/6 mos and the LEAF will be $507/6 mos. Entirely due to the cost difference of the two cars. Its all good! :ugeek:
wow why so high? my quote is $229/ 6 month

I had read so many good reviews of AAA insurance with the Leaf, I stopped by to talk to an agent and get a quote for my Prius and my Leaf. I ended up with a similar quote @ $1335/year for the Leaf and $1179/year for the Prius. I was shocked. I assumed that I was already overpaying but felt ok about it because I have known my agent for years, and feel I get good service. But these AAA prices are WAY higher than my current rates ($897/y Prius and $951/y Leaf). I showed her my current paperwork, and she could not match it. Do I live in the wrong place or what? Why are my rates so high compared to other reviews?

EVDRIVER said:
AAA is a very good insurance company, I have had many over the years and went back to them. My rate on the LEAf was very low for the highest coverages and they give a 5% discount on EVs. Don't bother with crappy insurance companies, in the end they will burn you and cost more.

Asked her about discounts for hybrid and EV's...did not help enough to even get down to my current rate. Even if I moved my homeowners insurance to AAA they could not match it.

harv said:
Just got the quote from Geico. They do have LEAF in their database. Quoted price for 12 months is about $650.00

I might have to try giving them a call just for fun, but I've heard that service (especially after a claim) is difficult with them.

DarkStar said:
Just heard back from my insurance broker (a.k.a. my sister) and here are the rates she received from the companies she works with:

Travelers: $404 per 6 months
Mutual of Enumclaw: $493.35 per 6 months
Allied: $505.63 per 6 months
Grange: $585 per 6 months
Kemper: $616.50 per 6 months with multi-policy discount
Safeco: $618.10 per 6 months
MetLife: $650 per 6 months
United Heritage: $642 per 6 months
CIG: $680 per 6 months

She's familiar with the LEAF I'll be getting and she made sure the quote she was receiving was for that vehicle.

These quotes are all in line with what I got from AAA, and more than I am paying right now...interesting.

TonyWilliams said:
USAA just quoted me $358 for 6 months.

Numbers like these from other places is what sent me out looking, but no luck for me. As I type this I guess I'm figuring out that it really is not that big of a savings...your talking about $716/year, and I'm paying $951/year. $235/year to have insurance through an agent that I know and trust. In the end I think this has been a good exercise for me. I still wish I could get lower rates, but it looks like I am not paying too much more than others.

I was set up with Progressive at the dealer, with a six-month premium of $1,189.90 for comprehensive coverage with 100,000/300,000 limits. About 80% of this premium is for the comprehensive and collision coverage - they said it's because this is a new vehicle with hard-to-obtain parts.

Well, just now I switched to Geico, their six-month premium is only $853.80 for the same level of coverage. About 64% of it is for comprehensive and collision. This also includes mechanical breakdown insurance, which is similar to the extended warranty that the dealer offers but at a cheaper price. Geico includes a discount if it's a hybrid or electric vehicle, which helps.

Unfortunately, one can expect high rates as this is a very new, somewhat pricey vehicle, currently in limited production.

Wow, all of these rates for Leaf insurance seem very high to me.

I have a full policy on my Leaf with a $1K collision deductible, a $100 comprehensive deductible and 100/300/100 liability coverage for $506/yr. with Allstate. I guess I will stay with them.

OrientExpress said:
Wow, all of these rates for Leaf insurance seem very high to me.

I have a full policy on my Leaf with a $1K collision deductible, a $100 comprehensive deductible and 100/300/100 liability coverage for $506/yr. with Allstate. I guess I will stay with them.
Any other vehicles with them? That has a bigger effect than I originally thought. My quote was for the single vehicle alone.

jwallace3 said:
USAA quoted me ~607 to add the leaf to my policy. Currently have 2 other vehicles on the policy as well.
USAA seems high to me on the Leaf. They quoted $365.36 / 6 months full coverage compared to the $284.91 for Toyota Highlander. The Civic we are replacing is more than Highlander.

shay said:
6 months full coverage

What does this mean?

This is what I had them quote and it came back nearly double what you are saying is high.

BIL $300k/$500k
PDL $100k
Med $5000
UIM BI $300k/$500k
comp ($100 ded)
coll ($500 ded)

palmermd said:
This is what I had them quote and it came back nearly double what you are saying is high.
Insurance costs vary so much between local areas, and especially from state to state, that comparing quotes from different places is meaningless.

palmermd said:
shay said:
6 months full coverage

What does this mean?

BIL $300k/$500k
PDL $100k
Med $5000
UIM BI $300k/$500k
comp ($100 ded)
coll ($500 ded)
Liability plus comprehensive and collision. I do not have medical payments and 500 dollar deductibles on both comprehensive and collision.

evnow said:
"Woohooo - it is a Nissan LEAF !! I want to get one too !!!"

I had the same experience when I got my Leaf and called USAA to update my insurance. The woman on the other end "I am soooo jealous I want one!"

davewill said:
Insurance costs vary so much between local areas, and especially from state to state, that comparing quotes from different places is meaningless.

I understand that. Most of the comparisons I've tried to make are with people from the sf bay area and Sacramento area to avoid regional differences as much as possible. I expect 30-40% perhaps even 60% but they said 100% difference for full coverage. My question was answered. Their definition of "full" and mine were different. Were all good now. Thanks for the reminder as there are others who may not know.

I was given a higher quote for the LEAF from my agent (not any higher than another car at that value). But the day I picked up the LEAF, I gave them my LEAF VIN and the final insurance cost came out much lower than the original quote. I asked my agent why and she said apparently the VIN did something to help make the actual premium much lower than the estimated premium. I ended up paying only $16 on top of the credit I got back from dropping collision and comprehensive on my 1998 Lexus LS400 to insure the LEAF.

Has anyone has a similar experience where the actual premium with their LEAF VIN taken into account is much less than the original estimate?

Back