My Leaf battery status - please comment

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highend

Hello from Poland, here is my Leaf Battery App status made with 2 battery bars left, and 6 TB
today was quite hot day (about 26C = 80F), although in beggining of July we hit over 30C (over 90F).

leafsoc20130721.jpg

My leaf is 1&half year old (first registered January 2012), and has 7200km (about 4500miles), but it was completely not used since September 2012 till April 2013 (was just sitting with 5 battery bars) and I'm using it since April.

How it corresponds to battery aging model?

highend said:
My leaf is 1&half year old (first registered January 2012), and has 7200km (about 4500miles), but it was completely not used since September 2012 till April 2013 (was just sitting with 5 battery bars) and I'm using it since April.

How it corresponds to battery aging model?
The only city we have weather data for in Poland is Warsaw. Using that city, 4.0 miles/kwh efficiency and no solar loading from parking in the sun (we don't have data for solar loading outside the U.S.), the Battery Aging Model predicts 93.2% remaining capacity. Your Leaf appears to be doing significantly better than that, perhaps from sitting at 5 bars (probably an optimal SOC for storage) for a prolonged period during storage. However, I wonder if the older software (before the recent P3227 update) is over-estimating remaining capacity for those in very cool climates. One person in Washington state found that his Gid count at full charge decreased significantly after the update (probably more accurate with new software).

Bottom line: your battery pack is probably going to last a long, long time in your climate.

thank you for that comment....
but I don't think I live in "very cool" climate, rather moderate.
We have summer Jun-Sep, and temps over 25C (even 30-33C) are common during that period, lets say 20C is mediana (so I think 20C is perfect for Leaf). It is of course a lot cooler than Phoenix, AZ....

During winter we have 2-3 weeks of quite big frost: -20C :) but commonly in winter -10C to 0C, sometimes 5C.
Hope you can easilly convert C to F in mine post :)

Also do you think 5 bars is perfect for Leaf storage? according to Leaf Battery App the voltage around 3.8V per cell is when there are 3 battery bars.
I have also old software - shall I update or not?

highend said:
thank you for that comment....
but I don't think I live in "very cool" climate, rather moderate.
We have summer Jun-Sep, and temps over 25C (even 30-33C) are common during that period, lets say 20C is mediana (so I think 20C is perfect for Leaf). It is of course a lot cooler than Phoenix, AZ....
Well it is very cool from the perspective of the Leaf Battery compared to most all of the cities we gathered data for (only 4 cities had lower battery aging factors)... unless of course your climate is significantly different than Warsaw. Having your battery pack in the equivalent of a refrigerator/freezer during the winter goes a long way to reducing permanent capacity loss.

Also do you think 5 bars is perfect for Leaf storage? according to Leaf Battery App the voltage around 3.8V per cell is when there are 3 battery bars, although I haven't looked at the bars for the last 1.5 years.
Well, perhaps not perfect, but very good. I would consider perfect storage to be about 40% SOC, which you can read on the Leaf Battery App. That probably corresponds to more like 3 bars.

I have also old software - shall I update or not?
The only reason for you to update is to fix incompatibilities with some charging stations. However, I have no idea what charging stations are available in Poland and whether the software update is also available and recommended there.

Hi!

I'm an airline pilot and I'm trying to get my local airport, PTI/GSO, to install some chargers so I can reliably make my Leaf commute.
The airport has been receptive and is looking in to this for employees as well as customers!
Anyone in the NC "electric community" who finds this useful I would urge you to email the point person at GSO Stephanie Freeman to provide some encouragement :)

You may want to try to use the proper terminology. A charger would be a $20,000 machine as big as a refrigerator which would charge your LEAF in half an hour. I suspect what you want instead is some Level 2 EVSEs, which will cost around $1000 apiece for equipment + a variable amount for installation, and will charge your LEAF in 4-6 hours.

Ray

Back