MY ZEV license plate at LAX, Why did you unplug my Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
I'm told you don't need a Chargepoint card to get the J1772 to release on the free stations...any RFID card will work.

I don't know about "any RFID card", but you can call their customer service number and get them to release the J-plug remotely if you don't have one of their cards.

(edit: I see surfingslovak just said the same thing.)

Depending on the ChargePoint pedestal (look for the Blink logo) you can use either the ChargePoint card or any Blink activated credit card. Obviously, if there is no fee to use the pedestal, using your credit card will unlock it and won't charge anything to your card (I've tested this out myself on some free ones in Hillsboro, Oregon).

DarkStar said:
Depending on the ChargePoint pedestal (look for the Blink logo) you can use either the ChargePoint card or any Blink activated credit card...

???

I thought (Coulomb) ChargePoint and Blink were two separate, autonomous systems...

coulomb-chargepoint-available-in-washington-15681_1.jpg

blink-pedestal-commercial-ev-charger.jpg

Oh, but wait - maybe you weren't talking about Ecotality "Blink" chargers, but rather just the Blink RFID system from Chase?
back_of_card_lg.gif

Confusing/coincidental that they go by the same "blink" name.

http://www.mychargepoint.net/charge-pass.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...Need to charge your plug-in electric vehicle? Just find a station near you and start a charging session is with a ChargePass Card. You can also start a charging session by calling the telephone number located on the charging station or with your contactless credit card on stations that display a credit card logo...

(I don't recall seeing a blink logo on any of the ChargePoints I have used.)

well, my employee badge is RFID. i will try it to see if it works. but why not get a CP card? i just got one less than a month ago and all i had to do was ask. it was free

Where did you sign up for a free one? According to their websites the cards are $5 a piece.

WWBD said:
Where did you sign up for a free one? According to their websites the cards are $5 a piece.
This could be just me, but I got my card free from my dealer. At the time, I figured that it must be some ChargePoint promo.

I was able to call them, and they offered me a free one...that was months ago and they may not be doing it anymore. But $5 isn't much, I'd pay that in a heartbeat.

Chase Blink not equal to Ecotality Blink.
imgname--rfid_credit_card_blink---archives--chaseblink.jpg
!=
blink1.jpg

I tried my Blink card at a ChargePoint which had the RFID logo and it did NOT work. I had to get out the ChargePoint card.

The BlinkCard and ChargePoint EVSE both had the RFID symbol, but the ChargePoint would NOT activate in the presence of the Blink card.
rfids.jpg

TEG said:
Chase Blink not equal to Ecotality Blink.
imgname--rfid_credit_card_blink---archives--chaseblink.jpg
!=
blink1.jpg

I tried my Blink card at a ChargePoint which had the RFID logo and it did NOT work. I had to get out the ChargePoint card.

The BlinkCard and ChargePoint EVSE both had the RFID symbol, but the ChargePoint would NOT activate in the presence of the Blink card.
rfids.jpg

One would have to register the serial number of the RFID card with Chargepoint first prior to use. Not sure if a blink card can be activated with chargepoint or not. I'll try it out tonight :)

Facepalm.jpg

Mastercard calls it "PayPass" - Discover Card calls it "Zip" - Visa calls it "Blink" (I linked to an image of the back of a card...)

Basically it's a RFID enabled credit card (look for the "radio waves" image on the back of your card, same as the one on the ChargePoint EVSE). :D

JPWhite said:
One would have to register the serial number of the RFID card with Chargepoint first prior to use. Not sure if a blink card can be activated with chargepoint or not. I'll try it out tonight :)

Nope. The blink cannot be registered with chargepoint. When asked blink said that they dot YET have compatibility. So I think the companies are putting some thought into interoperability. We'll see.

Back