MY12 Leaf : SV $35,200, SL $37,250 - $369 Lease

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
WaunaLeaf said:
I'm questioning the practical value of a $38K car that can't go over 60mph or be driven in below zero temps w/o significant limitations as we are finding out. Never been a Prius fan but it's starting to look pretty attractive - as well as other options at this point. If I was in one of these new markets, I'd pass. In the end it's a simple financial decision for me.
New cars don't make financial sense.
Anyway what do you mean you can't go over 60 mph ? Which car are you talking about ?

I believe the OP meant what I underlined above. They know the LEAF can go over 60, but not without sacrificing m/kwh.

I guess whether or not it is a good deal is based on whether or not you wanted the Nav and/or Bose...

BrianSanDiego said:
"For 2012, buyers must pay extra for the navigation/DVD system and the sound system, which are now listed as options. On the 2011 model they were included at no charge."

LEAFfan said:
evnow said:
WaunaLeaf said:
I'm questioning the practical value of a $38K car that can't go over 60mph or be driven in below zero temps w/o significant limitations as we are finding out. Never been a Prius fan but it's starting to look pretty attractive - as well as other options at this point. If I was in one of these new markets, I'd pass. In the end it's a simple financial decision for me.
New cars don't make financial sense.
Anyway what do you mean you can't go over 60 mph ? Which car are you talking about ?

I believe the OP meant what I underlined above. They know the LEAF can go over 60, but not without sacrificing m/kwh.
Ok - atleast understandable as the standard fossil fuel industry talking point.

Given the driving patterns (90% trips below 90 miles) & household car ownership (60% with two or more cars), ofcourse, the poster's comment still doesn't make sense. We all know it is an extremely practicle car - more so than so many other 2 seater cars that cost over 40K, for eg.

mogur said:
I guess whether or not it is a good deal is based on whether or not you wanted the Nav and/or Bose...

BrianSanDiego said:
"For 2012, buyers must pay extra for the navigation/DVD system and the sound system, which are now listed as options. On the 2011 model they were included at no charge."

Irrespective of that - when comparing similarly featured trims, these are important.

Stepping back, a very broad business view of any price increase means demand is good and expected to continue or increase. IMHO it sucks to see people getting hit with a major price increase. However, price increase is a STRONG indicator that Nissan is no longer worried about their fledgling EV. Nissans confidence is very good news for the Electrification movement!

If LEAFs were sitting and they were slashing prices... we should all be worried.

TRONZ said:
Stepping back, a very broad business view of any price increase means demand is good and expected to continue or increase. IMHO it sucks to see people getting hit with a major price increase. However, price increase is a STRONG indicator that Nissan is no longer worried about their fledgling EV. Nissans confidence is very good news for the Electrification movement!
True - but let us see how the story plays out.

I think Nissan should have pulled a GM - removing the nav and pricing SV the same as earlier. The price increase will have a general impact on prices of all the plugin offerings - Prius PHV, Focus EV etc.

True, particularly since some find the Nav of limited use on what is essentially an in-town car, or already have their own portable nav or smartphone app... And let's face it, the Leaf Nav is not exactly top of the line or state of the art...

evnow said:
I think Nissan should have pulled a GM - removing the nav and pricing SV the same as earlier. The price increase will have a general impact on prices of all the plugin offerings - Prius PHV, Focus EV etc.

Yup , offer a no nav car at a 2k savings

Provide a simple smart phone holder like on the ct200h

That will be an option on 2013 models

Do you really need built in nav to go 90 miles?

kmp647 said:
Do you really need built in nav to go 90 miles?

#1; i fully agree that more options is needed

#2; if nearly out of power, NAV to nearest charging station (when its actually fully enabled) might come in handy

#3; without NAV, Nissan would probably not be able to keep track of your doings

I put down the $299 for an I Miev today as I have no clue what they will actually be
asking when I order. A few minutes ago I received this.....
Hi John, thanks for reserving and patiently waiting to order your 100% electric Nissan LEAF™. We're very excited to let you know you'll be able to order your new 2012 Nissan LEAF next week.

So what is new for the 2012 Nissan LEAF? We have taken feedback directly from our customers by making the most popular optional equipment on the 2011 model standard equipment on the 2012.

This equipment includes a battery heater for cold-weather operation, heated outside mirrors, heated front steering wheel, heated front and rear seats and rear HVAC duct. The Quick Charge Port is also added as standard equipment on the Nissan LEAF SL model.

The 2012 Nissan LEAF is available starting at $369 a month/36-month lease ($2,599 initial payment – excludes tax, title and license)*.

We'll send you an e-mail when it's time to work with a dealer to pick your car's color, review options and get a quote.

All that heating equipment sure will be appreciated here in central Florida.... :mrgreen:

I'll go through the game and let them order the car but what I'll actually buy.... after
all this wait and BS is hard to say.

hodad66, I got the same email. They make it sound like the only option is a lease. Did you read it that way too? I'm only saying that because they didn't indicate the MSRP in the email.

Using our old excel sheet - I see that the given $369 and the mentioned net capitalized cost (26K) can't be got. Infact the lease price using 2011's depreciation and interest rate comes to about $419. That means they are subsidizing the lease (compared to 2011) by $50 a month.

I think Lease is a much better deal now than it was in 2011 (compared to buy) ... no wonder I leased Leaf ;-)

Or they have decided that their residual value was unrealistically low...

evnow said:
Using our old excel sheet - I see that the given $369 and the mentioned net capitalized cost (26K) can't be got. Infact the lease price using 2011's depreciation and interest rate comes to about $419. That means they are subsidizing the lease (compared to 2011) by $50 a month.

I think Lease is a much better deal now than it was in 2011 (compared to buy) ... no wonder I leased Leaf ;-)

TRONZ said:

If LEAFs were sitting and they were slashing prices... we should all be worried.

I agree that the demand is high and as a result Nissan is comfortable upping the options to make a better overall car package. I live in the bay area and most days it is plenty warm, however, when i need the heater it doesn't really work. I think it is a great idea to add seat heaters standard. it makes it more practical and helps people who may move to a colder climate in the future.

As for the quick charger port, i think it is a foolish decision not to get it and i am glad to see it is standard on the SL. Plan ahead people, the infrastructure is coming and a 20 minute charge is a game changer. I have read several posts from people who declined the QC port and now regret it.

I do feel bad for the people who reserved in april 2010 and haven't had a chance to order. I know the ordering and delivery process was super stressful for me and I am not as patient as I should be. !5 years of waiting to buy a EV and now that I have it I am am super impressed and I wouldn't trade it for any other car except maybe a Tesla Model S :)

evnow said:

I was keeping up with all the great info in the money factor and low monthly repayments until I realized that the Tier 0 — 0.00204 money factor was just simply unattainable. Even with my stellar FICO, the dealer finance guy told me that Tier 0 is their buy rate. There is no way any dealer would give that low money factor. They have to mark it up to do business... It was simply that.

mxp said:
Even with my stellar FICO, the dealer finance guy told me that Tier 0 is their buy rate. There is no way any dealer would give that low money factor. They have to mark it up to do business... It was simply that.
Well, some dealers do whatever they can to make extra money. Many on this forum got non-marked up rate.

Since someone asked I drive more than 80 miles about 24 times a year. I had planed to keep a my current 2004 Honda Accord for the longer drives and use the Leaf for daily use. I mostly drive less than 42 miles a day.

evnow said:

Did you put in that you have to put $599 more down than you did last year and that the lease is for 12k miles, not 15k?

malamastra said:
Since someone asked I drive more than 80 miles about 24 times a year. I had planed to keep a my current 2004 Honda Accord for the longer drives and use the Leaf for daily use. I mostly drive less than 42 miles a day.
So, if yu can get to use Leaf for more than 90% of the days - how is it "limited" ?

What many of us do is to have Leaf & an ICE in the family i.e. trade in one of our ICE for a Leaf. That way we substantially reduce gas usage with no real limitations on travel. In the next year or two I plan to replace the remaining ICE with a plug-in as well. That cuts the gas usage by more than 90%.

http://www.c-maxenergi.com/2011/01/ev-phev-cuts-gas-usage-by-over-90-with.html

No, that is simply not true. I got the Tier 0 rate with no markup when I leased mine from Fontana Nissan. Your dealer is lying to your face!

mxp said:
I was keeping up with all the great info in the money factor and low monthly repayments until I realized that the Tier 0 — 0.00204 money factor was just simply unattainable. Even with my stellar FICO, the dealer finance guy told me that Tier 0 is their buy rate. There is no way any dealer would give that low money factor. They have to mark it up to do business... It was simply that.

Back