Need help on horn upgrade Wolo 320-2T

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djjazzy

Wanted to install the Wolo 320-2T horn in my 2013 Leaf. Wired it all up, tested it with
12V from Battery (+) and (-). Both horns blast fine. Wolo's instructions say make sure
a 15A fuse is protecting the car. The horn circuit is only a 10A fuse. Tried it anyway,
Quickly pressed the horn switch on the steering column, and it tooted. Increased
duration and it only worked for maybe 2 secs. Yep! blew the 10A fuse.
So I increased the fuse to a 15A, and started the test again. Wolos only worked
for a split second, then you can hear a faint toot, as if the Wolos are trying to work.
I didn't lay on the horn for much longer than 2-3 secs.
But the 15A fuse did not blow.

Reinstalled the original horn with a 10A fuse and all is back to normal.
Yes car drives fine.

What gives? After increasing the fuse to 15A ( yea I know 10A is factory, and the wiring
is only safely rated at 10A ) But why won't the Wolos work. Seems as if the factory horn relay doesn't want
to fully engage with the Wolos hooked up. I'm sure I saw that the factory horn relay is rated at 15A.

Any ideas? Other folks with the El Grandes don't seem to have issues, could it be the Wolos 320-2T's need
more amperage and a higher rated Relay? The Wolos are heck a loud!

See pic of Wolos wired up:

I plugged the Leafs horn BLACK factory wire to the Black lug on the WOLO,
and the other Leaf's wire (green?) to the WOLO RED lug

When hooked directly up to battery, Wolos' Blast just fine. RED to (+) and BLACK to (-)

ZJ6eahE.jpg

Not sure what is wrong, but the correct/safe way to do it, would be with a relay. Unless you know all the wiring/hardware in the original circuit is rated for 15 amps.

Got the Wolos to work. Ended up not using the Leafs OEM (-) horn wire. Used chassis as GND, and the Leaf's OEM (+) to the
Wolos. Still got a 15A fuse in, so I may still end up running new wiring to the Battery, and using a relay off the OEM horn wire.
but for now Wolos working fine.

Apparently to get the Wolos to work, not suppose to hook up both OEM horn wires to the Wolos, just the (+) one.

Anyone else running Wolos? Can you use a 10A fuse, and are you using the original horn wire (+)

Back