NEMA L6-20 outlet for outdoor use?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrillbabyDrill

Do I need a special L6-20 receptacle for outdoor use (carport) or can I just get a regular one and throw it in some sort of box. Should the outdoor one be a GFCI type receptacle?

Thanks

You can get a weatherproof plastic cover, as what comes with the Leviton EVSE pre-wire kit:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202829583/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The GFI is built into the Panasonic EVSE, I assume you are going to use a Modified Panasonic upgrade from http://www.evseupgrade.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as long as you don't extend the cable on it, you should be fine with no GFI

Cool, thanks. That makes it easy then. Get a box, get a receptacle, and that's all I need to worry about. Yes, I was going to use it for the EVSE upgrade thing that one dude does.

I don't plan on using one, but wouldn't the GFI in the Panasonic EVSE protect the entire circuit even if an extension cord was used?

DrillbabyDrill said:
I don't plan on using one, but wouldn't the GFI in the Panasonic EVSE protect the entire circuit even if an extension cord was used?

The GFI in the modified EVSE will protect downstream only, it will not protect between the outlet and the short cord attached to the EVSE. So, if you use an L6-20 Male-Female extension cord outdoors, the 230V from the outlet to the EVSE it is not GFI protected.

DrillbabyDrill said:

Not really. The GFCI in the Panasonic EVSE box protects for faults "downstream" of the EVSE box (box to J1772 connector at the car). If you have an extension between the wall outlet and the plug on the EVSE it is not GFCI protected unless the wall outlet or circuit breakers are GFCI. If the extension cord became frayed or cut you'd have have no GFCI protection on that part of the circuit, and a potential hazard. I've never seen 240VAC GFCI wall outlets, but you can get circuit breakers that are GFCI and some industrial 240VAC cord mounted GFCI boxes from which you could make your own protected extension, but these are typically pricier devices than the typical $15 120VAC GFCI outlet. You have to evaluate how prone your situation might be to a problem. If the cord is in good shape and generally out of harms way (not being rolled over or near sharp metal objects), you'll probably be ok with out additional GFCI, but it would be wise to inspect the cord condition occasionally and keep the area clear of things that might damage it. Still, good practice suggests the EVSE box should be as close to a wall outlet as possible, so if you are installing a dedicated outlet, put it where the EVSE can reach from the outlet to the car.

I used a very deep aluminum hinge cover for my L6-20 exterior outlet. Most of the clear plastic covers I have seen may not be deep enough to fully close with the large L6-20 twist lock plug in place. Partially closed is probably good enough to shed most weather, but I found a very deep aluminum hinge cover (also at Home Depot) that will close completely over the plug used by the EVSE upgrade.

So if I get a breaker with GFCI I should be set? I'm just worried about weather, and not a fraying cord.

Can I get all of these things (cover, breaker, receptacle) at a Home Depot or similar hardware store?

A GFI 2-pole 20A breaker will set you back at least $80-$100, and it is not needed, if you don't use an extension cord between the L6-20R outlet and the EVSE, there will only be 1' of unprotected wire. Don't overthink this.

DrillbabyDrill said:
Cool, thanks. That makes it easy then. Get a box, get a receptacle, and that's all I need to worry about. Yes, I was going to use it for the EVSE upgrade thing that one dude does.

Be sure they put on a NEMA 6-20P with 90 degree angle. The standard L6-20P would not seem to fit under the Leviton cover very well. I would also request a long enough pigtail cord so the evse can be mounted or rest some place out of standing water.

1105.jpg

http://www.stayonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=17352

Anyway call/email and see what ingineer recommends.

Back