New 2023 SV Plus impressions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
GVWR is 4751 on my 2019 SV+. Curious as to why the 23 SV+ is heavier. My 2019 S+ is also listed as 4751 interestingly enough.

GVWR is not the weight of the car, it’s the legal max weight the car is allowed to weigh when fully loaded with cargo and passengers and put on a scale.

To get the actual empty weight of your car you need to subtract the weight listed on the TIRE AND LOADING INFORMATION sticker “Combined weight of occupants and cargo never exceed” weight in RED from GVWR.

GVWR is limited by tire load rating, rim rating, springs, axle etc.

GVWR = Max weigh allowed when full,y loaded
GAWR FR = max weight allowed on front axle
GAWR RR = max weight allowed on rear axle

TO GET THE ACTUAL WEIGHT OF THE CAR WHEN IT CAME OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE:
Take GVWR and subtract the listed max cargo weight on the tire and loading white door label.

So my empty weight is
4872-860=4,012 lbs.

Flyct said:
GVWR is not the weight of the car, it’s the legal max weight the car is allowed to weigh when fully loaded with cargo and passengers and put on a scale.

To get the actual empty weight of your car you need to subtract the weight listed on the TIRE AND LOADING INFORMATION sticker “Combined weight of occupants and cargo never exceed” weight in RED from GVWR.

GVWR is limited by tire load rating, rim rating, springs, axle etc.

GVWR = Max weigh allowed when full,y loaded
GAWR FR = max weight allowed on front axle
GAWR RR = max weight allowed on rear axle

TO GET THE ACTUAL WEIGHT OF THE CAR WHEN IT CAME OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE:
Take GVWR and subtract the listed max cargo weight on the tire and loading white door label.

So my empty weight is
4872-860=4,012 lbs.

UPDATE:

Interesting that my registration shows 3919 lbs as Net Weight.

Update of impression after 4 days of ownership.

Steering wheel leather covering feels stiffer. More like plastic

Cloth Seats are more comfortable than the leather in my 2020 SL

Drives exactly the same as the 20SL+

Nissan Connect is not communicating. Worked with connect phone support and was advised to bring it to service for diagnostics. Have appt Monday 10/31.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Does the general range feel the same?

Yes range seems at least the same and probably a little more. I’ve been driving it locally in rural roads. Today I got in it after charge last night and dash showed that 254 miles range with a average 3.8 kWh/Mile. Of course the SOH in the new car is 5% more than the old car.

Tomorrow I’ll take the 125 mile trip to our cabin. We usually drive it at 60-65 mph. When we arrive we usually have 60-90 miles displayed as remaking, based on wind, temp, rain etc.

Flyct said:
Nissan Connect is not communicating. Worked with connect phone support and was advised to bring it to service for diagnostics. Have appt Monday 10/31.

One of the things that always bugged me with the Nissan Connect. Sometimes, it just has outages where no one can use it, but they always want you to take it in to the dealership to fix. Unless something is different now, all the dealership does is factory default reset the Nissan Connect settings and re-activate it on the website. I've done this countless times for friends and family to save them a dealership visit. The same with the "EV Error" that happens when you try to QC at a station with issues. You can reset that error in LeafSpy and no dealership visit needed, plus in the future know to avoid that QC station. :evil:

Flyct, looking forward to the report.

Reddit showing some screen shots of Leafs charging at 70+KW at 50% SoC, which I have not scene before. Any chance the 23 has an improved charging curve?

DougWantsALeaf said:

Reddit showing some screen shots of Leafs charging at 70+KW at 50% SoC, which I have not scene before. Any chance the 23 has an improved charging curve?

Although mine is only a 2020, usually +80 kW can be maintained up to around 52% and then you get the slow taper down (provided the QC station isn't over-heating or doing something weird). Seems the 2023 should be similar as they appear to have a 62 kWh battery instead of the 60 kWh that the marketing department has put out in a press release.

DougWantsALeaf said:

Reddit showing some screen shots of Leaf's charging at 70+KW at 50% SoC, which I have not scene before. Any chance the 23 has an improved charging curve?

I only fast charged once an that was for 9 minutes with my 2020 SL+. I was seeing just shy of 50 KW if I remember correctly.

So I made the trip from home to the cabin this evening. Unfortunately the route had to be modified due to a road that was washed out with Hurricane Ian about a month ago.

Efficiency seemed about 0.1-0.2 kWh better at 65 mph and GOM Range remaining was slightly better that the 2020 SL+

DougWantsALeaf said:
Have you seen a true 80kW charging? I have yet to see any screen shot above 78kW charging of a Leaf.

Guess 2020 upped the curve a bit from our 2019s.

Not only seen, but do it every week. It depends a lot of variables though, a lot do with the QC station itself. The ones I use have over-heating issues and never seem to really reach a high point above 80 kW. Even if they can reach it, it doesn't take long to get over 52% SoC before it has to taper down anyway. The picture is from one of the few that I use that can at least maintain a fairly high level without over-heating if the weather is already cold outside. On warmer days, the power will fluctuate around and usually results in a failed session if the QC isn't down below 50 kW of power before it over-heats. The QC station itself probably couldn't push out a true 100 kW and I haven't found any other QC in my area that even get close. I would like to see a charge power of 100 kW even if it was just for a few minutes, I suspect the batteries could handle it just fine.

EVZL7xW.png

Took a picture of what the Leaf shows as well today while charging. Not connected to the older chart above. Yes, it seems my dash glass is that dirty in the bright light. :lol:
oeKi1ly.png

Nice

I wonder if Nissan moved to usable capacity from total battery size and hence moved the number to 60kWh.

Sweet that you can hit 80kW. I saw in year one 78 from the EA stations before they had them throttled.

I haven't seen any YouTubers document any shift in charging curve since 2019. It would be nice if it had slightly improved. Especially since the smaller Ariya only seems to really maintain 90kW.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Nice

I wonder if Nissan moved to usable capacity from total battery size and hence moved the number to 60kWh.
I would see that as an upgrade as well. My 2020 was advertised as a 62 kWH battery with 56 kWH usable, which to achieve the 215 miles of range would only require driving at 3.8 m/kWH efficiency. If the 60 kWH that the 2023 advertised as is "usable", that would make more sense. I've already read about LeafSpy readings from the 2023+ models that seem to calculate out to 62 kWH of capacity, so maybe Nissan is just saving the top 2 kWH now instead of the 6 kWH they did on earlier models like mine.

Sweet that you can hit 80kW. I saw in year one 78 from the EA stations before they had them throttled.

I haven't seen any YouTubers document any shift in charging curve since 2019. It would be nice if it had slightly improved. Especially since the smaller Ariya only seems to really maintain 90kW.
I suspect that if I brought a 2019 to the same Nissan QC that I'm using, it would probably hit 80 kW as well. I would like to see a QC that can actually push out the 100 kW as the ones I'm using have an over-heating issue that affects performance. It's hard to have a "chilled" QC station and a "warm" battery at the same time when you depend on the weather for those changes :(

On a side note, I might get my wish to "have a 2023 plus for a few days" as my current Leaf will be in the body shop for a while to get the accident damage fixed. I get a rental budget, so I'm trying to get a 2023 plus reserved for rental next month during my "repair" time. I'll have plenty of time to do LeafSpy readings and really push the vehicle from full charge to battery shutdown for science!! :lol:

One more question. Is the aroundview hi Def? In my wife's new Rogue (subject of another post...we have 3 cars now), the around view camera Def was way better than our 2019 Leaf. Curious if the Leafs cameras were updated too?

DougWantsALeaf said:
Nice

When I test drove the Ariya the rep told me the battery is kept at 75 degrees all the time.

Back