New England Leafs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats! My NH vanity plate PLUG-ZN came today! I put the "100% ELECTRIC" chrome letters on the back on Sunday. I'll take a pic and post it as soon as I clean the car again.
:D

This applies to only MA EV and PHEV owners for now (they said hybrids as well... arrrgh)

http://transportation.blog.state.ma.us/blog/2012/04/rmv-electric-vehicle-plate.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/massdot/6964389198/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is already a thread on "PriusChat" about it as well:
http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-hybrid-ev-alt-fuel-news/107999-massachusetts-offers-electric-vehicle-license-plates-even-hybrids.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

List of vehicles eligable on this link: http://www.gaudette-insurance.com/Blog/bid/80460/There-s-a-New-License-Plate-in-Town" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am going to pickup my set tommorow, for my Plug in Prius...

mitch672 said:
This applies to only MA EV and PHEV owners for now (they said hybrids as well... arrrgh)

http://transportation.blog.state.ma.us/blog/2012/04/rmv-electric-vehicle-plate.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/massdot/6964389198/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is already a thread on "PriusChat" about it as well:
http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-hybrid-ev-alt-fuel-news/107999-massachusetts-offers-electric-vehicle-license-plates-even-hybrids.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

List of vehicles eligable on this link: http://www.gaudette-insurance.com/Blog/bid/80460/There-s-a-New-License-Plate-in-Town" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am going to pickup my set tommorow, for my Plug in Prius...

I'll be picking up mine on Friday. Pretty cool these MA Electric plates.

2012 SL Ocean Blue from Concord Nissan in NH. Ordered March 13, arrived March 30! Only 17 days! Picked up on April 3.

I think I was the fourth buyer from them. I saw a red LEAF in downtown Concord, which I think is the first one they sold.

jimcmorr said:
Congrats! My NH vanity plate PLUG-ZN came today! I put the "100% ELECTRIC" chrome letters on the back on Sunday. I'll take a pic and post it as soon as I clean the car again.
:D

As promissed:

DSC_0003s.JPG

Interesting that MA made this statement about their new EV plates ...

'Massachusetts is the second state in the U.S. to offer the plate to drivers.'

... but they never mention what that one other state is ... here in IL we've had EV plates for a number of years (initially and primarily for EV converted vehicles but they now list OEM vehicles as well) as well as they DISCOUNT the annual fee for these versus the standard plate. First time I've heard that a state considers the identification of an EV as a safety issue but not a bad idea ... they don't play up much on the fact that they don't pollute but at least it's mentioned in the PR release. I had started another thread on states that issue EV specific plates so I'll add MA to the list. If anyone has any others let's let everyone know ...

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8175

ghabel said:
Got my new MA plates last week. EV1004

Nice ghabel, I am EV1304, on a PiP, the article news stories on the EV plates said the starting plate numbers would be EV1000, nice you have such a low number. When I asked the registry person, "the state only expects 10,000 EVs"' she came back with "we start mixing in letters as well", so to get an all number plate, you are truly an "early adopter"

I was doing my regular weekly check for any usable charging opportunities in Western Massachusetts when my jaw hit the floor.

According to Plugshare, the Courtyard Marriott Hadley, MA is now listed as a 480v CHAdeMO Quick Charge

I will be calling tomorrow to see if this is true and will take our LEAF there this weekend if so. Never in a million years did I think our first ever public charge (outside of a Nissan dealer) would be a quick one!

This is the only CHAdeMO listed within 1000 miles plus. This is amazing!

Ok, Calm down, calm down, it's probably just a typo...

listless said:
I was doing my regular weekly check for any usable charging opportunities in Western Massachusetts when my jaw hit the floor.

According to Plugshare, the Courtyard Marriott Hadley, MA is now listed as a 480v CHAdeMO Quick Charge

I will be calling tomorrow to see if this is true and will take our LEAF there this weekend if so. Never in a million years did I think our first ever public charge (outside of a Nissan dealer) would be a quick one!

This is the only CHAdeMO listed within 1000 miles plus. This is amazing!

Ok, Calm down, calm down, it's probably just a typo...

That would be GREAT! I'd even take the trip just to use the QC port. Though I might have second thoughts about that, wondering if it was actually working or occupied when I needed it. On the other hand, how many LEAFs could be in Hadley at the same time? :shock:

You are probably correct, though, in thinking that is a typo. When I first asked my local dealer they said they were installing a quick charger. Even when pressed on the topic they still thought it was a QC. When it got installed it was the standard Aerovironment 240 v EVSE.

Keep us posted! :)

listless said:

Yes, I see that PlugShare lists it as "Quick Charge (480v CHAdeMO)", but a month ago it was listed as "Level 2". A quick search found articles from April/May 2011 that mentioned the installation of a "Level 2" there. Maybe they've upgraded. Please post once you confirm. If this really is a 480v then I might be able take my LEAF from NH to CT with just a short stop. That would be awesome! :D Then again, maybe not. It's 92 miles to the Courtyard. :(

File it under "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is"

I called the hotel and got an unsatisfactory answer, then contacted to the very helpful service department at the Country Nissan down the road who contacted the facilities management people at the hotel who said that most people charge for around 4 hours so it is most definitely NOT a true quick charge.

Then I went into PlugShare and changed that location back to "EV Plug (240v J1772)" -- I didn't realize anyone could just do that. Now I am concerned about trusting it at all...but on the bright side I did find a share-able home-based J1772 that is easily walkable to downtown Northampton and an owner saying it is "pretty much always available with advance notice". Very nice and convenient, but not as exciting as an actual quick charge opportunity would be.

It was fun while (I thought) it lasted.

Good to know, though.

I think it might be more likely to see True QC chargers when/if they become available for a single phase electrical service. Is the $10K Nissan QC unit for use on single phase? It would be really REALLY nice to see this at Nissan dealers in the not too distant future.

FWIW...

I was at my dealer, Nissan of Keene, tonight chatting about my electric bill. $10 higher this month than before the LEAF. 1500 miles on the LEAF since we picked it up April 2.

Anyway, the sales guy said they have 4 LEAFs on the lot for sale. Two black ones a red and a blue. Sold a Silver one this week. If you are in New England and looking for a LEAF without having to order it give them a call. I don't get any kickback but tell them Jim M sent you.

My son just told me that he saw a LEAF parked in downtown Keene last night. It was white and had a Massachusettes plate. It was parked on the east side of main street. He did not notice if there was a vanity plate on it.

So far I am the only LEAF in Keene and I was wondering if any of you were in Keene last night. Where you traveled from and where you found to charge here, or if you did a round trip to here and back home.

listless said:
File it under "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is"

..but on the bright side I did find a share-able home-based J1772 that is easily walkable to downtown Northampton and an owner saying it is "pretty much always available with advance notice". Very nice and convenient, but not as exciting as an actual quick charge opportunity would be.

It was fun while (I thought) it lasted.

Now you have me excited about a possible road trip to Northampton!

Update on my 9.8kw solar project - everything is ready to go, just waiting on the panels to ship.
Once connected I will be generating 90% of my annual electricity use. I'm hoping the sales pitch equals true life experience. Time will tell.
If anyone in MA is interested in learning more about solar, send me an email.

Level 2 charger now listed in Portsmouth, NH. Plugshare now lists a level 2 charger at the High-Hanover parking garage in downtown Portsmouth. I called the garage and it is now installed and operational. I have yet to see another LEAF driving about since I got mine in April. I'm in Bedford, NH :)

Back