New England Leafs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boston Common not close enough? :)

http://events.pluginday.org/p/salsa/event/common/public/index.sjs?event_KEY=68077" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mitch672 said:
Boston Common not close enough? :)

http://events.pluginday.org/p/salsa/event/common/public/index.sjs?event_KEY=68077" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This close to the event it would be nice to get a response back......

Picking up blue 2012 SL tomorrow in Marlboro. Too much the frugal New Englander to be an early, early adopter. Don't normally drive a lot, maybe 8k last 12months, but will probably use it for more local family errands and on weekends and save the gas in the second car for longer trips.

Shouldn't have much trouble getting to most of Southern NE from the Worcester area, even without a destination charge. We go to Northampton more than Boston and there's at least 5 L2's near there now,if we needed one.

We mostly stay local anyway. Commute is only 20 RT, and most everything we would ever need is within 30 miles of here, so the Leaf is a perfect fit for us.

Going to see if I can just drive it like I have any other car, for local day to day routine anyway. Just get in and go without worrying about range, or giving much thought to how I drive, or how much heat I use. Kind of like knowing I have a quarter tank of gas, and that it will last the day no problem, and I'll put another 3 gallons in every night anyway, so who cares?

"It's only a car." That'll be my mantra.

JerryEdgington said:
Picking up blue 2012 SL tomorrow in Marlboro. Too much the frugal New Englander to be an early, early adopter. Don't normally drive a lot, maybe 8k last 12months, but will probably use it for more local family errands and on weekends and save the gas in the second car for longer trips.

Shouldn't have much trouble getting to most of Southern NE from the Worcester area, even without a destination charge. We go to Northampton more than Boston and there's at least 5 L2's near there now,if we needed one.

We mostly stay local anyway. Commute is only 20 RT, and most everything we would ever need is within 30 miles of here, so the Leaf is a perfect fit for us.

Going to see if I can just drive it like I have any other car, for local day to day routine anyway. Just get in and go without worrying about range, or giving much thought to how I drive, or how much heat I use. Kind of like knowing I have a quarter tank of gas, and that it will last the day no problem, and I'll put another 3 gallons in every night anyway, so who cares?

Hello Jerry....congratulations on getting a Leaf. I like your attitude about this car: Just charge it, drive it, and enjoy it. I've been doing just that for 10,500 miles over the past 17+ months. I don't worry about "range anxiety" or "Carwings", or bluetooth, or pre-heat, or all that other complicated stuff. Yes...it's electronically complex; but it is made to drive, just like any other car. Have fun! :)

Welcome to the Leaf club. Sounds like a good fit for you. I like the just use it attitude, I share it too. However, I do use the pre-heat now that it is cold, it's nice to get in a preheated car. You should check out the mass EV license plates.

derkraut said:
JerryEdgington said:

Hello Jerry....congratulations on getting a Leaf. I like your attitude about this car: Just charge it, drive it, and enjoy it. I've been doing just that for 10,500 miles over the past 17+ months. I don't worry about "range anxiety" or "Carwings", or bluetooth, or pre-heat, or all that other complicated stuff. Yes...it's electronically complex; but it is made to drive, just like any other car. Have fun! :)

Well, thanks you two. This is my first time in a car forum, and I guess that makes the experience different right there, but it proved invaluable as a research tool, and to assure me that the car was reliable enough to risk commiting to.

I did specify that I wanted the MA EV plates, turns out they're optional. And I'm sure I'll get to be an ambassador to the curious, which'll make it different from other cars I've owned as well. No one ever asked me about the 2001 Focus wagon, that's for sure. But that's OK, I think Nissan deserves some free ambassadorship as a reward for being among the first to stick their necks out there to advance a technology this planet so desperatly needs.

Truth be told, I will be using the preheat feature, plugged in or no ( I'll have plenty of kWh to spare), because that's a difference I'm more than willing to enjoy in this climate.

Also, my arm automatically reaches out to shut it off by turning a key, I guess that it'll take time to reprogram my brain.

Jerry, funny about looking for the key. Now when I drive my wife's car I get a little annoyed when I have to get keys ou of my pocket. I have learned to love the keyless entry feature

3 weeks in and I'm spoiled on the keyless thing. I locked my boss' keys in his van this weekend... I've gotten out of the habit of reaching for them!

Philip

(PS: pre-heat & heated steering wheel are 2 of my favorite features of the car)

LOVE the heated steering wheel! A subtle yet wonderful way to coerce me to keep both hands on the wheel.

Still listening for an engine to turn over when I start it too. Maybe they could make an engine rev noise one of the start up sound options. It's so quiet! But sounds like a fork truck when it backs up.

Just finished my first day with it and I'm thrilled. Driving hasn't been this much of an adventure since I was 16. If you're ever near Worcester and see a blue SL, MA reg EV 7013, that'll be me.

Had no problem running all my regular trips, from 80% overnight, highway included, and with heat and defrost, about 60 miles or so (I didn't even track it but probably should next time, just to see), down to low battery warning with 5 miles still showing on the dash.

Oops, this iPad is running out of charge, better plug it in and go read my Nav manual.

Our first weekend with the Leaf and we thought we'd try a Sunday drive. We figure anywhere in a 50 mile radius of Worcester is safe in winter since we dont want to skimp on heat or defrost, and while we could probably get back on one charge, for now we'll pick destinations we can charge at for ease of mind.

So we chose to do a 50 mile ride to Northampton to do some Christmas shopping, as there are several charging stations in the center of Northampton.  We could have traveled to Boston instead, also 50 miles from Worcester, but prefer spending our money in Northampton, it's so cool there!

But when we arrived at the E. J. Gare garage on Hampton St., listed in Recargo only, we discovered that the two charging stations were blocked in by gas powered cars and there was no way we could charge. We we're a little worried, would we get home? We had used over half of our bars.  The attendant on duty told us they were new and no one knew what to do with those spots.  He apologized, but said there was nothing he could do.  He told us that even a parking lease holder, who owns a Chevy Volt has trouble getting access to those spots because no one stops gas cars from blocking them.

He told us about the charging stations on Crafts Ave. (only listed in Plugshare) and when we went there they were also blocked by gas cars.  Luckily, people were in one of them and kindly let us park to charge.  We were very relieved and went off to leave lots of money with stores and restaurants.  Now these spots are normally 15 min parking, strictly enforced, the sign says, unless you're charging your car.  We think this is fair as EV's wont always be there to charge, so the spaces wont be wasted in a town that has tight parking to begin with.  But we felt plain lucky to be assured we could still get home.  Charging infrastructure in MA needs a lot more development.

So, we sent an email to the mayor and parking administrator of Northampton to ask what they might do to improve the situation in the Gare garage?  We suggested some ideas, but will be thrilled with whatever resolution they can come up with that will be effective.  For example:

* More visible painting and signage to differentiate these two spots in the garage.

* Making these spots 15 min parking unless charging, just like the Crafts spots, also strictly enforced.

* Plain old enforcement, if ticketing and/or towing non-chargers is viable under Northampton regulations.

* Use of cones and/or attendant oversight to prevent blocking, although this may not work if the attendant is not always available.

* Applying warning stickers to the blocking cars to warn them of future enforcement while asking them to avoid these spots in future. (Unless you go with the 15 min parking option.)

We realize that this is all new and uncharted territory, but we hope Northampton comes up with a workable plan.  Electric only cars are new and rare now, but will only grow in the future. We'll never go back to using only a gas car, and avoid using it if we can.  If something major happens in the Middle East and gas were ever rationed or cost over $10/gal. the demand for EV's could explode quickly. (Making your used Leaf pretty valuable.)  It would be great if Northampton had superior charging station policies that would attract more people to town, no matter what happens.  We certainly would like to return without being anxious about our return home.  Destination charging is such a worthwhile promotional tool. More shopping areas should install stations, it'ssuch a natural fit promotionally.

Nissan would do well to give every dealer a QC station, both for promotion, and to create a network we could hop along to go almost anywhere, there are so many Nissan dealers around here.

So in four hours of shopping and eating we got another full charge that we had no problem using most of, luxuriating in heat all the way home. Route 9 is a fun ride in this car.

While we were disconnecting the charger, a family walked by and the young boy pointed and said, "Look that car's charging! That's so cool! It's a hybrid!" Close enough for us.

Pity all the charge station locator apps cant get together and share locations, they can still differentiate on style, like the Carwings clones. They could at least copy each other's locations.

We actually like the so called "Guess O'Meter". We're not geeky enough to need ultimate range precision, and it's calculations are a close enough estimate for us. We represent the future of just every day drivers who just want to drive the thing like it was any other car.

But a 300 mile range would be nice.

Chris Mason, director of energy and sustainabilty for Northampton replies that they are working on parking regulations to allow enforcement, and awaiting better signage from the state.

Told him he shouldn't take the AeroEnvironment stations the DOT is giving him, but try to get Chargepoint stations.

When we arrived at the Crafts Ave. station, one plug was on the ground. These plugs dont lock in, only click into the holder, so curious people can dislodge them and they can potentially fill with dirt or snow, so be careful and inspect them before you attach to your charge port.

Looking forward to picking up car this Friday from Marlboro Nissan also. Got a lot to learn and will be visiting these forums also. Didn't think about all the questions other gas car owners would be asking . :D

Welcome. Loved dealing with Josh and Jim in Marlboro, they beat out six other dealers, not just on price, but on the easy way they do business. Know you'll have a lot of fun this weekend. Enjoy!

Just got my 1 year battery check done at Milford Nissan in MA. Great service. I got all high marks on the battery check. Also rotated the tires for $25. That's 1 year of driving, 8,500 miles and zero issues. Still loving the car.

Just turned over 15,000 miles at the end of my first year. Have hit turtle mode twice pulling onto my street in the last month. 60 miles at 65 MPH seems to be really pushing the envelope at temperatures below 20F, even without using the climate control. Also had the driver's door window fail to open this week. Have a service appointment set for Monday.

On the plus side, my family has spent more than $2,000 less on gasoline than we spent in 2011 and we drove 4,000 miles more than in 2011. I haven't corrected for average price of gallon of gasoline, but I think those numbers speak for themselves.

NOGASHOLE said:
On the plus side, my family has spent more than $2,000 less on gasoline than we spent in 2011 and we drove 4,000 miles more than in 2011. I haven't corrected for average price of gallon of gasoline, but I think those numbers speak for themselves.

Good to hear. I haven't calculated it but I should go through the gasoline bills from 2 years back to see the savings.

Brought my LEAF to BERTERA NISSAN in Auburn, MA for its Annual service a couple of weeks ago. Turns out these clowns failed to perform the battery test, but still managed to try to sell me a motor oil additive in a "service package custom designed for my vehicle." These guys are a real embarrassment to NISSAN.

Are there any plans for a Level 3/Quick Charge in the Boston area? Seems they are available in many other markets that may have lower EV penetration like Chicago, Dallas or Houston.

I know that in the Boston area dealers owned by the Kelly group have no intention of installing L3 chargers eventhough they sell cars with Chademo ports.

Back