New England road trips

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmac

Thinking of a leaf to replace Volt: don't ask;)

How many New Englanders routinely take 120-150 mile RT and how difficult is using dc Qc chadmeo/ Nissan Dealers to help give you a boost?!

I have Plugshare but wanted 'real life' experiences not the virtual ones in my head

I live in Portland area frequent Vermont Boston Hartford trips

Cheers

Tom

The most I've done is 200m rt. it takes careful planning and luck. Unfortunately QCs are few and far between and some not 100% reliable. If you are willing to fall back on level 2 charge it is doable

Also consider winter hit to range

I love the leaf but would not want to use it regularly with current state of QC network and range of leaf.

I have a friend who drove from around Concord NH to New York City. I don't know the details, but it didn't seem too stressful.

I took a very long trip from Burlington, VT to Bar Harbor / Mount Desert Island, ME at the beginning of October this year with my leaf which had seen two summers worth of heat degradation and time degradation.
I reiterate the comment made that if you can be okay with stopping a couple of times in one day to charge for a couple of hours to make it to your overnight charge, long distance road trips are completely doable with the very limited quick charging stations. My route took me from North Woodstock, NH over the Kancamagus hwy all the way to Norway, ME. The next day was to Lewiston / Augusta, and I seem to recall I got all the way to Bucksport, ME and made it with no problem to Bar Harbor. Approximately the same trip coming back. That trip was the first time I have stopped by plug sharers' homes to use their plugs. Boy do you appreciate it when you can use a CHAdeMO though!! (Only CHAdeMO used on this trip was in Montpelier, VT though). Any questions, just ask.
I am looking forward to seeing an electric corridor between southern VT and NYC.

Charge forward! :)

The QC network is still very limited. The comments on PlugShare will give you a good idea of which QCs are reliable and which aren't. If you can pick a route using the reliable ones, you're much better off. Lack of unanimous support by Nissan dealers is a real drag.

If you have a QC port, then you have a 6 kW OBC too, and an hour or two on L2 goes a long way, if you don't mind stopping and exploring. Taking the old highways helps stretch the range.

We live near Worcester and have no trouble getting to most of NE with the current infrastructure, but we enjoy slow traveling. We routinely do Brattleboro, VT or Rockport, MA as a day trip, 150-160 miles RT.

Ma, CT, and VT all have plans for more QC, possibly the Hooksett, NH rest areas. Next year should be easier.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
{snip}...We live near Worcester and have no trouble getting to most of NE with the current infrastructure, but we enjoy slow traveling. ...{snip}
Ditto for us! I certainly understand the increased frustration that folks have for the current infrastructure, but it is what it is and will be improving as time marches on. We did a lot of research to map out QC and L2 locations BEFORE acquiring the Leaf and decided that we would "cut our teeth" on a 2014 model supported by the current (!) NE infrastructure.

Obviously, it takes some planning. The two biggest problems we have had are: (1) some Nissan dealers do not have 24/7 access to their QCs, and (2) their are a dearth of QCs, especially going from north to south through the state. I know that MA will be adding QCs on the Pike, but they also need to examine the I-95 and I-91 corridors.

All this being said, we are enjoying our Leaf but we do not travel with tight time restrictions. We have been known to stop at QCs and go for fresh air walks with our dog while the Leaf charges. Sometimes we will watch an episode of one of our favorite shows on a iPad while we wait.

If we do have important time/range restrictions, we (regrettably) take our ICE. However, I find that I drive it much like I do the Leaf. Amazing the positive impact on fuel consumption that produces!

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Welcome, and good luck.

Suggest you consider at least a SV, over S w/QC, to get the heat pump. The resistance heater in the S robs a lot more range.

+1 on that, I do regret not pushing to the next trim level.

Back