New LEAF commerical: 'Gas Powered Everything'

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LALeaf said:
FYI - GM has abandoned its trademark application for 'RANGE ANXIETY'

That's good. GM is doing a disservice to themselves when the use "Range Anxiety" as a scare tactic. Do they never plan to offer a pure electric vehicle of their own? Or do they plan to wait until they can come up with a battery pack that will go 300+ miles?

Go Nissan! Bash GM. GM will do anything to kill its competition. Don't feel sorry for GM. As far as I am concerned they earned the right to go bankrupt and should have gotten it. :lol:

This is my favorite LEAF ad so far. Very clever visuals, the smokestacks at each desk in the office, and the chainsaw dentist is a classic!

I think the jab at Volt was a distraction - some other generic ICE car would have been better.

But in reality this is just an "inside joke" - vast majority of people will think of the ICE car as just another Chevy.

My thoughts on market positioning: The Leaf is in the pure EV market space. ICE cars are in the pure ICE market space. GM is positioning the Volt to overlap into both spaces by blurring the lines so they can tap into both consumer groups. Makes a lot of sense (especially since some people do not yet understand the difference between a Prius, Volt, and Leaf). From Nissan's perspective, it is essential to defend the Leaf's market space and differentiate the Volt from the Leaf so people understand they are not the same.

Nissan's new ad does this very well. If you're concerned about the ads from either side, I think the market is plenty large enough for both products. In fact, the advertising will help increase awareness and knowledge for both products. I think the ads are clever, but I do like the new Leaf ad a lot more! :mrgreen:

Stolen or "crowd sourced?"

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5314294-Thought-this-deserved-its-own-thread-Stolen-(hope-not)-ad-concept-sourced-from-TCL

The original idea back in Oct of last year:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ould-you-do-it

"I've had an idea kicking around for a while, but it would only make sense for a completely electric car. Do a 60 sec TV spot showing a day in the life of a normal family where all their indoor electronic devices are gasoline powered - like a gasoline powered vacuum cleaner spewing out exhaust, a gasoline powered shaver and toothbrush with tiny exhausts, a gasoline powered DVD player, room fan, hairdryer etc... and then pay it off with "One day the gasoline powered car will seem just as strange. Introducing the _______ electric car from ______. "

Compared to:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/27/r...ing-ads-video/

"What would the world be like if everything were powered by gasoline?

Renault-Nissan has kicked off a massive advertising campaign intended to highlight the advanced technology of electric vehicles with the debut of a pair of videos that bang home the point that consumers depend upon electricity to power items used everyday and that using gasoline is, in some instances, utterly ridiculous.

In one spot, a middle-aged man wakes up for work to the burning whistle of his gas-powered alarm clock and with a few fierce tugs at his coffee maker's rip cord, manages to fire up the gas-gulping machine. That same man, while at the office, walks up to a miniature gas pump to refuel his laptop computer.

Oh, and the owner of a Chevrolet Volt, while standing at the gas pump refueling his plug-in hybrid, watches in envy as another man across the street unplugs his Nissan Leaf and drives off as onlookers watch in amazement. Yep, that's how Nissan sees the world if "Gas Powered Everything."

-- DavidV :D

DavidV said:

I don't think the idea is so unique that multiple people couldn't have come up with it independently. After even something as complex a mechanism as flying has evolved separately in bats and birds ;-)

evnow said:
After even something as complex a mechanism as flying has evolved separately in bats and birds ;-)
Don't forget all the flying insects and even the Pterosaurs too :D and that does not even include gliding creatures such as my current favorite the Paradise Tree Snake. Sorry I just could not help myself ;)

evnow said:
DavidV said:

I don't think the idea is so unique that multiple people couldn't have come up with it independently. After even something as complex a mechanism as flying has evolved separately in bats and birds ;-)

Possible, but in this case, less likely than the alternative. All that being said, it would be really cool if this concept was sourced from the enthusiast community (provided it was done so with permission).

DavidV said:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5314294-Thought-this-deserved-its-own-thread-Stolen-(hope-not)-ad-concept-sourced-from-TCL

The original idea back in Oct of last year:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ould-you-do-it

"I've had an idea kicking around for a while, but it would only make sense for a completely electric car. Do a 60 sec TV spot showing a day in the life of a normal family where all their indoor electronic devices are gasoline powered - like a gasoline powered vacuum cleaner spewing out exhaust, a gasoline powered shaver and toothbrush with tiny exhausts, a gasoline powered DVD player, room fan, hairdryer etc... and then pay it off with "One day the gasoline powered car will seem just as strange. Introducing the _______ electric car from ______. "

Compared to:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/27/r...ing-ads-video/

"What would the world be like if everything were powered by gasoline?

Renault-Nissan has kicked off a massive advertising campaign intended to highlight the advanced technology of electric vehicles with the debut of a pair of videos that bang home the point that consumers depend upon electricity to power items used everyday and that using gasoline is, in some instances, utterly ridiculous.

In one spot, a middle-aged man wakes up for work to the burning whistle of his gas-powered alarm clock and with a few fierce tugs at his coffee maker's rip cord, manages to fire up the gas-gulping machine. That same man, while at the office, walks up to a miniature gas pump to refuel his laptop computer.

Oh, and the owner of a Chevrolet Volt, while standing at the gas pump refueling his plug-in hybrid, watches in envy as another man across the street unplugs his Nissan Leaf and drives off as onlookers watch in amazement. Yep, that's how Nissan sees the world if "Gas Powered Everything."

i had a similar idea MONTHS ago when addressing people who asked about the occasional power outage that we all suffer thru. (have had only one of any length in 4 years).

so the correlation is really a no-brainer

lettcco said:
I LOL at the volt jab (cause they started it with the leaf blower comment), but I agree with you all that Nissan and GM needs to work together to push for more infrastructure, not fighting each other.
This!

It's pretty damned short sighted to fight for a piece of such a small market share. Grow the market, expand the niche and then worry about who's got more than their share of it.

DaveinOlyWA said:
DavidV said:
out exhaust, a gasoline powered shaver and toothbrush with tiny exhausts, a gasoline
i had a similar idea MONTHS ago when addressing people who asked about the occasional power outage that we all suffer thru. (have had only one of any length in 4 years).

so the correlation is really a no-brainer

Except for two key differences:

(1) You kept the idea to yourself and didn't post it on the number one most heavily trafficked automotive message board on the Internet in a thread about how to advertise the Chevy Volt.

(2) Unlile the guy who posted it, you (presumably) don't produce TV commercials for a living.

Oh, and the fact that he presented this to the public Oct of last year, leaving plenty of time to act on the concept, just adds more opportunity for someone to have capitalized on his "pitch"

Other than those things, yes, your idea is equivalent.

Back